Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst Trailers ever?

Old 04-23-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Worst Trailers ever?

yeah, this is the thread for trailers that didn't grab you, or looked really bad just by the trailer. reminder, don't go by the movie.
for me its the movie Tristan and Isodel. (if the guy who posts here who also cuts trailers and did this one should post about this one.) I mean i like the song used ("going under" by evanesance) but a so called period movie should not be using goth rock /nu metal music, plus it doesnt' really fit into the trailer. Also the tagline "before romeo and juliet there was..." is really bad and lame. (is this even based on source material??)\

and another one is the full cast away trailer
Spoiler:
they fuckin spoil the fact that he gets off the island
Old 04-23-06, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Empire Strikes Back

Get a look at these storyboards, folks!
Old 04-23-06, 05:36 PM

The Negotiator

Hey, thanks marketers...now I don't have to see the film!
Old 04-23-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
All the marketing made me want to avoid the film like the plague, but fortunately I saw the film in class and thought it was brilliant. I told Joel Silver that I didn't think the trailers did the film justice, and he told me to shove it; the B.O. would prove me wrong. Boy, did I eat my hat on that one...
Old 04-23-06, 06:54 PM
Banned

What about trailers that give away major plot points, if not the entire story? Snake Eyes, Arlington Road, Cast Away, What Lies Beneath, Double Jeopardy, Office Space... hell, the Star Trek III trailer showed the Enterprise blowing up!

If The Usual Suspects had been released by a bigger studio, the trailer would've told you who Keyser Soze was.

The trailer for BloodRayne made it seem more like a cheap straight-to-video cheese fest than something a major studio would release... which is actually giving straight-to-video a disservice to compare them to BloodRayne.
Old 04-23-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Behold the lovely awfulness.

The Legend Of Simon Conjurer
Old 04-23-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Simon Conjurer looks pretty bad, alright. However, the key difference between that and the others is, although the trailer is cringeworthy, it is still likely better than the film itself!
Old 04-23-06, 07:21 PM

Fast and Furious 3: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/thef...okyodrift.html
Snakes on a Plane: http://www.tagworld.com/snakesonaplane
DOA: Dead Or Alive: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xgV-RKUksEw
Old 04-23-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
All the marketing made me want to avoid the film like the plague, but fortunately I saw the film in class and thought it was brilliant. I told Joel Silver that I didn't think the trailers did the film justice, and he told me to shove it; the B.O. would prove me wrong. Boy, did I eat my hat on that one...
The trailer for KKBB was one of my favorites last year.

I've never been a fan of Teaser trailers (telling people the movie is coming, whoopdifuckingdoo). But that said, that movie about the amish time machine had the worst trailer I've seen, but I can't remember the name of it.
Old 04-23-06, 07:32 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
yeah, this is the thread for trailers that didn't grab you, or looked really bad just by the trailer. reminder, don't go by the movie.
for me its the movie Tristan and Isodel.
it's Tristan & Isolde. and the movie was terrible. to quote a line from John Carpenter's Christine, "You can't polish a turd."
(if the guy who posts here who also cuts trailers and did this one should post about this one.)
i assume you're talking about me. i didn't cut this trailer. i cut some "making of's" for both the movie and the music video.
I mean i like the song used ("going under" by evanesance) but a so called period movie should not be using goth rock /nu metal music, plus it doesnt' really fit into the trailer.
looking at all the other marketing materials, its clear that the client was trying to mimmick the tone of the campaigns for Alfonso Cuarón's Great Expectations and Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet which also relied on contemporary tracks to modernize the period drama.
Also the tagline "before romeo and juliet there was..." is really bad and lame. (is this even based on source material??)\
are you kidding? yes. there is source material. very, very old source material.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 04-23-06 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-23-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Spoiler:
The trailer had a quick shot of them fighting back to back at the very end, so you knew they would team up and fight against someone who was setting them up and that it wasn't just agent vs. agent. I never bothered to see the movie after figuring out what was probably the major plot twist.
Old 04-23-06, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Murder at 1600"

Wesley Snipes speaks into a walkie-talkie as he gets out of a helicopter on the lawn of the White House: "There's been a murder at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue --- an address that changes all the rules."

The scene was shot strictly for the trailer, because there wasn't anything in the actual movie worth putting in a trailer.
Old 04-23-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
. are you kidding? yes. there is source material. very, very old source material.
reminds me of a quote from the movie "orange county" which kind of shows my ignorance on not knowing that this peice of crap (alright, i haven't seen it yet, but it looks like one)
Mr. Burke: Now, when I say "Romeo and Juliet," who comes to mind?
Dana: Claire Danes?
Mr. Burke: That's right, Claire Danes. Who else?
Chad: Leonardo DiCaprio.
Mr. Burke: Right. Who else? Well, you know someone else was involved in that movie who in some ways is as famous as Leonardo Di Caprio. And his name is William Shakespeare. And some great movies have been made based on his plays: Hamlet, West Side Story, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Waterworld, Gladiator, Chocolat...
Old 04-23-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
I'm sure you would've seen that coming anyway considering it is a pretty derivative movie. It's the cinematic equivalent of a paint-by-numbers book.
Old 04-23-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Negotiator
Spoiler:
"Now you've got to deal with both of us!"

Thanks Assholes!

Another one that spoiled every plot point: The Fugitive (not only every plot point but every action sequence)
Old 04-23-06, 11:38 PM

Snakes on a Plane
Old 04-23-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Another one that spoiled every plot point: The Fugitive (not only every plot point but every action sequence)
I disagree with that. It didn't reveal anything about Dr. Nichols' involvement or how Gerard and his team eventually suspect Kimble is innocent and start investigating the one-armed man themselves.

I personally thought both the teaser and trailer were great and really hyped me up to see the movie(which more than lived up to my expecations).

Now the trailer for U.S. Marshals. THAT gave away nearly everything.
Old 04-24-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
The trailer for BloodRayne made it seem more like a cheap straight-to-video cheese fest than something a major studio would release... which is actually giving straight-to-video a disservice to compare them to BloodRayne.
Well, they can only do so much...
Old 04-24-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember the trailer for The Beach completely gave the wrong impression for the film. I love the movie, but it isn't some sort of action adventure in which Leo saves the day with his shirt off.
Old 04-24-06, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Spoiler:
"Now you've got to deal with both of us!"

Thanks Assholes!
And that scene wasn't even in the movie.
Old 04-24-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
to quote a line from John Carpenter's Christine, "You can't polish a turd."
Actually, that's Stephen King's line, as adapted by John Carpenter.
Old 04-24-06, 02:49 AM

I remember Italian Job spoiling every part of the end set piece. All others have pretty much been mentioned. And for the record I liked the ESB teaser, must have been cool to see in theaters in the 80's.
Old 04-24-06, 03:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Actually, that's Stephen King's line, as adapted by John Carpenter.
i stand corrected. John Carpenter did polish that turd.
Old 04-24-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Battlefield Earth
Old 04-24-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Swimfan
Spoiler:
Yeah, I know. A crappy Fatal Attraction for teens. The trailer showed every aspect of the movie, including the climax.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.