Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible III thread (reviews,etc.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible III thread (reviews,etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I caught this over the weekend too.

I thought it was good, but I was a little let down by the ending. There wasn't much action or drama going on. Maybe it's partly due to the flashback at the beginning. But, the MI theme didn't even come on until the credits at the end, and it had lyrics!?

BTW, Tom Cruise runs funny.
Old 05-30-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Heat
Spoiler:
The dead agent’s message said that Theodore Brassel (Laurence Fishburne) was working with Owen Davian (Hoffman), but it turned out that it was Musgrave (Billy Cradup). Why was Musgrave doing what he was doing? And Brassel really was a good guy, right?
Spoiler:
Brassel really was a good guy ("You can look at me with those accusing eyes, but I'll bleed on the flag to make sure those stripes stay red") and Musgrave was a grey area - he was interested in national security and such, but he believed that he could handle Davian as a pawn; he was not interested in the arms dealer as much as he wanted the people he dealt arms to. In Musgrave's theory, if some extremist group was paying a lot of money for an item Davian had, Musgrave would have Davian inform him of the meeting and particulars. Hence, Musgrave was inclined to supply Davian with weapons in order to catch and take down the prospective buyers.

Originally Posted by Heat
Thanks!
You're welcome!
Old 05-30-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamezuva
i can't believe no one has asked for pics of Maggie Q in the red dress....I can't find any to d/l!
In the Vatican, no less.

"Kinky!"

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
But, the MI theme didn't even come on until the credits at the end, and it had lyrics!?
Eh? It plays over the beginning credits and the beginning of the end credits, with no lyrics; just the big, brash instrumental we know and love. The theme is also integrated into the score throughout.

The song with lyrics at the end is Kanye West's musical abortion "Impossible", which is not modeled after, nor does it resemble in the slightest, Lalo Schifrin's "Mission: Impossible" theme. After that arhythmic dreck is finished, a Kanye West/Jon Brion-produced version of the "M:I" theme plays, and it sounds like a cheap ringtone.
Old 06-11-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
Just saw it myself. I enjoyed it. As always, great performance from Cruise, especially in the quiet moments, and Hoffman was predictably perfect. It was a bit annoying how it was essentially just a big-budget Alias episode with name stars, though:
Spoiler:
Start at the end with precarious situation and flashback? Check. Secret agent can't tell loved one what he does to protect her? Check. Said helpless loved one inexplicably saves the day? Check. Greg Grunberg? Check. At one point, I was afraid Hoffman would turn out to be Ethan's father. Hell, IMF even looked like SD-6, complete with their own socially awkward Marshall. Giacchino's Lost-style piano didn't help.

That said, it was a solid summer action-flick. The mole was obvious, but there were some cool sequences (although some were poorly edited), and it was entertaining throughout. I pretty much agree with everything Patman said earlier in the thread. Better than II, probably not as good as the original. I don't think I need to see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.

das
I'm late to the party, I just saw this Friday night. I haven't read the whole thread but I have to agree on every point das made. I've only seen the first season of Alias and I still had to remind myself this wasn't a big budget Alias movie.

I thought the movie was average. There were some excellent action sequences but the plot overall was very dull, despite being easy to follow. The mole was obvious very early on. The mask schtick is getting very old. Enough already. Philip Seymore Hoffman was WAAAY under utilized. He was an excellent villian and had what, 15 minutes of screen time? I think he was the highlight of the film for me.

I'd say it is worth seeing once, but definitely not worth all the hype it has received.
Old 06-21-06, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good way to pass a rainy day in the Midwest. Maggie Q is stunning, Monaghan has that cute quality about her, and Russell...well, she had interesting eyes. Rhys-Meyers was good for what he was given, besides the horrid Italian accent. I liked Stickell/Rhames better in I/II when he was more of a smartass. Crudup was very good, Fishburne average (but his bleed on the flag line was nice). Hoffman kicked all kinds of ass and Cruise is fine at these types of movies. Pegg was a good choice to make all the jokes about deportation.

A perfectly acceptable popcorn flick, probably a bit closer in quality to II than I, but I think I probably have II rated higher than most of this board. For III, a B-/B.
Old 07-21-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Saw the movie this week at the $2 theater and quite liked it. I did find it laughable that it made it look like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is just down the road from NoVA/DC. That trip takes HOURS. But, it's a summer popcorn flick...

Unfortunately, my friends and I arrived a few minutes after the movie started - right at the tail end of the scene where Hoffman has Cruise captive. I know it plays out later in the film, but did I miss anything extra in the opening scene? Just curious.
Old 09-18-06, 12:07 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
A good popcorn action film for sure. Farfetched but full of explosions and drama

All the performances were adequate, not amazing but adequate

Worth a dvd rental for sure
Old 11-01-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
Saw the movie this week at the $2 theater and quite liked it. I did find it laughable that it made it look like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is just down the road from NoVA/DC. That trip takes HOURS. But, it's a summer popcorn flick...

Unfortunately, my friends and I arrived a few minutes after the movie started - right at the tail end of the scene where Hoffman has Cruise captive. I know it plays out later in the film, but did I miss anything extra in the opening scene? Just curious.
You really missed out then. That scene forshadowed what was to come and what you think is going on at the start was in fact not what was really going on (Hunt's situation, what he knew, etc).
Old 11-01-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Three times the charm!
Old 07-28-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got around to watching my HD-DVD yesterday. I thought the first film was ok, but it's admittedly been years (possibly since the theater) since I saw it last. I thought part 2 was a piece of shit.

Thankfully, this one was not.

I thought Abrams did a good job of keeping the film tense. The plot was illogical, but that's to be expected with almost any spy film. Cruise did his thing, which he's good at, so no complaints there. Seymour Hoffman stole the show, though. He was a great villain. I love the type that say they're going to do something and then they do it. No bullshitting around. I wish he had more screen time because he was such a joy to watch. The final twist as to who was behind Davian was a nice touch. Also,
Spoiler:
Keri Russel dying so early on caught me off guard. I didn't expect her to go, so that was also a nice touch to know not everyone lives like usual.
Overall, I'd say it's my favorite of the series. It's good, just not great.