Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Opus Dei asks for disclaimer for "The Da Vinci Code"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Opus Dei asks for disclaimer for "The Da Vinci Code"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's not become like the Musliums and start making threats and rioting.
This movie is just one of many that has tried to give a different story on Jesus since 9/11. The goal here is to confuse those who are not into Jesus and so when they see all these different views they will be so confused that they will not read the Bible.
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Did the novel have a disclaimer at the beginning?
Just when it was placed in the "fiction" section.
Old 04-17-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
The goal here is to confuse those who are not into Jesus and so when they see all these different views they will be so confused that they will not read the Bible.

If this is the sort of enlightenment that comes from reading the Bible I'd rather stay confused.
Old 04-17-06, 07:42 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terps54423
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Did the novel have a disclaimer at the beginning?
Just when it was placed in the "fiction" section.
Not a disclaimer, really, but it did have this:

Old 04-17-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In my humble opinion...

...I think Sony President Howard Stringer will force the producers of the film to run a disclaimer at the beginning of the film--especially if there is public pressure through the Internet!
Old 04-17-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I would think that the part of the opening credits that say "based upon the novel by Dan Brown" would allude to the whole fiction aspect of the story.
Old 04-18-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
anyone who doesn't know this film is based on a book is a moron and should be treated as such.
Old 04-18-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts
I dunno about anyone else, but I'd LOVE to see a movie in which the Anti-Defamation League, the Catholic League, the NAACP, and all these other worthless organizations are exposed to be little more than cake juggling poof monkeys.
Old 04-18-06, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts
This movie is just one of many that has tried to give a different story on Jesus since 9/11. The goal here is to confuse those who are not into Jesus and so when they see all these different views they will be so confused that they will not read the Bible.
You are aware, of course, that many of the "revelations" brought to light in THE DA VINCI CODE have been discussed and debated for decades, long before 9/11.

But then you wouldn't be barking the company line, would ya?
Old 04-18-06, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess I don't really like the idea of a disclaimer, but I can see why they would ask for one. It is amazing how many people I know that have read the book and think that they are reading a scholarly book on the subject. As has been noted, Brown has done his best to keep that going. National Geographic had a good show called "Breaking the Da Vinci Code" or something like that. Most people probably know that NG doesn't try to cater to the religious crowd, and they really tore Dan Brown and his ideas apart.
Old 04-18-06, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wasn't it just one person from Opus Dei (granted, he was the leader of the organization) who was using a mentally unbalanced person to commit the murders? Not exactly representative of the entire organization.
No the main bad guy wasn't in Opus Dei at all. He tricked a devout member of opus dei into giving him control of a even more devout member of opus dei. The opus dei guy was trick and used which pretty damn clear in the book.

Lets be honest here. No body ever heard about opus dei before da vinci code came out. Everyone would have forgotten about opus dei by now and probably assume it was made up like some people think reindeer are made up. Most of the bad thing people are saying about opus never took place in book. Yes a crazy opus dei is killing people but not because opus dei is evil, but because he was tricked into doing it. He is a victim in the book.

How come no church groups complains about the sex ritual that was in the book. Yeah because we all would go to church more often if that happen.
Old 04-18-06, 02:24 PM
Uber Member

The FBI spy they caught a couple years ago was a member of Opus Dei and the organization received quite a lot of bad media attention at that time.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07450?v=glance

Wasn't the sex ritual done by the group trying to keep alive the central idea of the book? There aren't any mainstream (or even semi-mainstream) church groups who believe in what they were promoting, so what do they have to protest about?

Meant to say this yesterday...I think Opus Dei is foolish to bring this up, it only draws attention to the situation and will make some people wonder what they're so worried about.

**Edited to add link.

Last edited by Blade; 04-18-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
There are people who to this day believe the Blair Witch Project was a documentary.

Wait, so Blair Witch Project wasn't real?
Old 04-24-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Wait, so Blair Witch Project wasn't real?

Of course it was real! The filmmakers simply spread the rumour that it was "fiction" because they knew that documentaries generally do not draw crowds to theaters.

(could be the same thing with Da Vinci Code).
Old 04-24-06, 05:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think even the left field was surprised and confused by this post.
Old 04-24-06, 06:14 PM
Banned

This Da Vinci Code controversy is getting so ridiculous. An asshole here in Puerto Rico is promoting his book titled "Da Vinci Code: Farsa o Ficcion?" (Da Vinci Code: Farce or Fiction?). WTF?!!!! Did he recieved the memo saying that this book is fiction?!!!!! This like writing "Harry Potter: Farce or Fiction". What people will do for publicity and a buck.
Old 04-24-06, 06:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
This like writing "Harry Potter: Farce or Fiction". What people will do for publicity and a buck.
Hey! Hands off my book!
Old 04-26-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p....92Hg&refer=us

Apparently the Opus Dei organization was greatly misrepresented by Brown in all sorts of ways. They have no monks and are certainly not murderous. Frankly, I'm surprised that Brown didn't make up a fictional organization to be this villain instead of using a real group in such a false way.

While Sony doesn't have to include the disclaimer, I think it would be a good idea for them to do so and I hope they do. I'm not all that worried that moviegoers will think the story is anything except fiction but I think it should be made clear that an actually existing organization is not necessarily as it is portrayed in the film.
Sir, it is religious fanatics like you that give Christianity a bad name. Shame. On. You.