Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What plots are you sick and tired of?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What plots are you sick and tired of?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 04:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
A while back I saw the trailer for the new Antonio Banderas flick, Take the Lead, and I couldn't help but laugh all the way through it. If ever there has been a cliched film trailer, this is it.
i actually hate these flicks and won't see this, but something about the trailer in the theater gives me chills.
Old 03-31-06, 10:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Drop dead gorgeous female character under the age of 27 who is…
High ranking detective
Expert computer hacker
Martial arts expert
Master criminal mind
PhD in ….
Or anything else
Old 03-31-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man vs man
man vs nature
man vs machine
man vs society
man vs himself
Old 03-31-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any movie inspired fm Die Hard. Speed was good but the rest (including, sorry..Under Siege) was just very unoriginal.
Old 03-31-06, 11:33 PM

How about "1 man brings down the mob". Or "1 man armed with nothing but a black belt and forked tongue brings down a select group of highly skilled assassins". Then there's always "Misunderstood geek get the hot chick".

Very realistic stuff.
Old 03-31-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
How about "One of Hollywood's most famous villains as revealed through his cutesy boyhood years, including the outer space version of soap box derby!" Oh wait, I guess it was just once. Yet, strangely, it still sucked enough to qualify . . .
Old 04-01-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Misfit(s) in sports working against all odds to reach the big game.

Another one that really bugged me because it seemed I saw a bunch of films in a row a few years ago that used this: The hero's best friend gets killed in the opening scene. Years later the hero is working to infiltrate an evil organization and finds that their best friend didn't really die and now is in charge of said evil organization.
Old 04-01-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm getting tired of seeing two armies charge each other.
Old 04-01-06, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that a lot of you aren't sick of the well-used plots, but tired of said plots used in a boring way. I enjoyed Inside Man, and I don't seem to be alone there. However, the film is yet another retelling of the well-used heist-hostage-situation-charismatic-villain-wise-negotiator scenario. But it's an interesting and fun retelling, and it's put to good use (takes forever for the film to end, but I digress).

Since Clerks, I've seen too many atrocious foulmouthed-slackers-in-deadend-jobs-discuss-life films, but Waiting... was silly fun.

Let's look at more recent films that use an oft-told plot. What is the well-reviewed Slither, other than a rehash of the same plot from Night Of The Creeps, Arachnaphobia and so on? What is Brick, other than a rehash of the same plot from Memento, Chinatown and so on? What is 2006 Best Picture winner Crash, other than a rehash of the same plot from Love Actually, Short Cuts... it's all in the spin you put on the story.

There's twenty-seven million ways to tell the Hero's Journey, or to reuse Shakespeare's you-may-lie-to-win-the-one-you-love-but-she'll-love-you-for-who-you-really-are ideas... I won't get tired of seeing the same plot used. I'll get sick and tired of, and frankly insulted by, BAD movies that use the well-used plot as a crutch instead of delivering something interesting, though.

Originally Posted by Ms. M
I also dislike that so many romantic comedies have one of the would-be couple engaged or even married to someone else, often someone who is perfectly nice but not as attractive or cool as the lead. There's almost always some breakup scene where the dumped person is far too nice about being passed over.
I, too, think this is awful. It makes me dislike the leads, so what's the point?

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
How about "1 man brings down the mob". Or "1 man armed with nothing but a black belt and forked tongue brings down a select group of highly skilled assassins". Then there's always "Misunderstood geek get the hot chick".

Very realistic stuff.
Isn't the point of quite a lot of films that such a story doesn't usually happen in real life, and so is fun to see on screen?

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 04-01-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-01-06, 03:29 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shakespeare once said there is really only 34 different plots for stories i recall.
Old 04-01-06, 06:05 AM
Banned

suprised no one mentioned

"*gasp* it was the same person all along!" again, when done great, it's one of the better ones, when done horribly, it's one of the worst, i.e. usual suspects and secret window.
Old 04-01-06, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellsOfWar
when done horribly, it's one of the worst, i.e. usual suspects
Old 04-01-06, 06:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
lol, i see reading comprehension isn't a strong suit for you, allow me to explain

"when done great, it's one of the better ones, when done horribly, it's one of the worst"

this is what's known as a spectrum or a range if you will. this partiuclar range goes from best to worst if you didn't notice. now that you see we have a range to work with we have what is known as a correlation or a state of being related. now we use my initial range and correlate with another range posted.

"i.e. usual suspects and secret window."

now we are to assume that since the initial correlation was a range from best to worst, the second will be the same since they are related.

so we can safely assume

better = usual suspects

worst = secret window

let me know if i lost you since you didn't understand the initial post.
Old 04-01-06, 07:24 AM

The use of the word "and" to join your two examples doesn't imply a contradictory relationship between the two. Rather, it implies a complementary relationship, and was the cause for the misunderstanding. My comprehension is just fine; it's your conveyance that's a bit off. Might I suggest that next time, if you want to be understood, you go with a more appropriate word or phrase ("versus," or "as opposed to" would work here).

Also, check the sarcasm at the door. You'll find that doing so will result in a sharp decline in the number of times your foot becomes lodged in your mouth.

-JP
Old 04-01-06, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
A basic movie plot I've learned to avoid at all costs:

"Retarded person (aka "mentally-challenged person" for the P.C. Police) learns to do something and, in the process, inspires and changes the lives of the people around him/her."

(EX. Rain Man, I Am Sam, Radio, etc.)
Old 04-01-06, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Isn't the point of quite a lot of films that such a story doesn't usually happen in real life, and so is fun to see on screen?
Yes it is, but the OP asked for plots I'm sick and tired of and those were some of them. I understand your point as well and it's valid but again, those are some plots I'm personally sick and tired of.
Old 04-01-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
i actually hate these flicks and won't see this, but something about the trailer in the theater gives me chills.

I'm sure it was the hot woman who is dancing with him in the trailer.

I'm also tired of anything having to do with M. Night Shyamalan, including his stupid commercials.
Old 04-01-06, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
The use of the word "and" to join your two examples doesn't imply a contradictory relationship between the two. Rather, it implies a complementary relationship, and was the cause for the misunderstanding. My comprehension is just fine; it's your conveyance that's a bit off. Might I suggest that next time, if you want to be understood, you go with a more appropriate word or phrase ("versus," or "as opposed to" would work here).

Also, check the sarcasm at the door. You'll find that doing so will result in a sharp decline in the number of times your foot becomes lodged in your mouth.

-JP
maybe i was a little wrong in using "comprehension." and yes, no doubt my punctuation was off. i guess what i wrote relied on a little common sense which i thought was clear since pretty mucch the majority of the world knows usual suspects is a great movie. silly me.
Old 04-01-06, 03:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"*gasp* it was the same person all along!"
I hate this "twist" too, specifically the "killer/villain is actually the hero, who is actually suffering from some sort of split personality disorder or is hallucinating the whole thing!" version of it. It worked well for
Spoiler:
Fight Club
but is really becoming overused in horror movies
Spoiler:
(Secret Window, High Tension, Hide and Seek).
Old 04-01-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
How about "One of Hollywood's most famous villains as revealed through his cutesy boyhood years, including the outer space version of soap box derby!" Oh wait, I guess it was just once. Yet, strangely, it still sucked enough to qualify . . .
Rumor has it, there is going to be a pod race in Young Hannibal

I'm getting tired of the small group of soldiers who must save an entire village/platoon/country etc. ie: The Great Raid, SPR, Tears of the Sun

also, take a popular fair tale/ story and flip it upside down in a "new" way.
Old 04-01-06, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG
I hate this "twist" too, specifically the "killer/villain is actually the hero, who is actually suffering from some sort of split personality disorder or is hallucinating the whole thing!" version of it. It worked well for
Spoiler:
Fight Club
but is really becoming overused in horror movies
Spoiler:
(Secret Window, High Tension, Hide and Seek).
i really enjoyed high tension, but can understand why many don't, as for the other two you mentioned, def agree, very poorly constructed.
Old 04-01-06, 06:11 PM

Posted by Tscott:
Another one that really bugged me because it seemed I saw a bunch of films in a row a few years ago that used this: The hero's best friend gets killed in the opening scene. Years later the hero is working to infiltrate an evil organization and finds that their best friend didn't really die and now is in charge of said evil organization.
I think that happened in GoldenEye and something like that also happened in Mission Impossible too (hero's mentor "dies", but at the end of the movie is behind the evil conspiracy all along).
Old 04-01-06, 09:14 PM

silly me.
It's cool, don't get down on yourself...just try harder next time.

-JP
Old 04-01-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Conservative President/politician = Evil prick out to kill babies and ruin lives (DAVE, The American President)
Liberal President/politician = World's only hope (DAVE, The American President)
Old 04-02-06, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac
"Retarded person (aka "mentally-challenged person" for the P.C. Police)(EX. Rain Man, I Am Sam, Radio, etc.)
"mentally-challenged"?! You bigot. They are merely "differently-abled."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.