Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Didn't that movie just come out?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 01:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless I am crazy excited to see a new movie, I will either wait until the DVD comes out, or see it in the theater a week or so after it is released...to avoid the crowds. I wanted to go see Running Scared last weekend, only 2 weeks after it's release and only one theater had it and that theater is about 35 miles away. That happened to be only 2 of about 15+ theaters in a 50 mile radius that was playing this. How does Hollywood expect to bring up their box office numbers if the movies that are not super duper box office big budget smashes are taken out of the theaters 2 weeks after their release? Really irritated me. Just a rant.

Thanks,
Ghoster

Last edited by SpaceGhoster; 03-15-06 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-15-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I usually wait a few weeks after release to see a movie so that the theater will be fairly empty, but Running Scared is ALREADY gone from the theater i go to.
Old 03-15-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Aren't theaters the ones that determine what movies are shown? If a movie is performing poorly, it's probably more cost effective for the theater to get rid of it for even a crappy opening week movie, as very few movies will have a rebound/word-of-mouth effect that will increase their attendance week after week.

I thought for sure this thread would be about quick theater-to-DVD turn arounds... as I often look at the DVDs coming out and think to myself "wasn't that just in theaters?"
Old 03-15-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For "Running Scared", the 'empty-theater' time to go was on opening weekend. It did pretty poorly.
Old 03-17-06, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
For "Running Scared", the 'empty-theater' time to go was on opening weekend. It did pretty poorly.
i thought it was pretty good.
Old 03-17-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read a lot of good things about it once it came out, but the initial trailer turned me off of it.
Old 03-17-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was extremely close to going to see it but after dinner my girlfriend and felt too tired to go and we had 24 on the DVR. Sure thing, next week it was gone.

Running Scared is playing in only 44 theatres in the country. Forty-four. Here's a list of movies playing on more screens than Running Scared:
  • The New World
  • Hoodwinked (3x as many)
  • Doogal (4x as many)

In fact, for each theatre that's playing Running Scared (probably on one screen), there's 75 times more theatres playing V for Vendetta (probably on two or three screens). And Running Scared came out... what? Two weeks ago?

So, hopefully if you wanted to see Ultraviolet you already went to see it...
Old 03-17-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, if nobody goes to see it, they're not going to waste their screen space with a dud. Especially these days when audiences getting smaller. If they don't show up the first weekend, there's no point. Movie theaters are generally only obligated to keep a film for 2 weeks, then they can do what they want. Everyone chose to get rid of it. It sucks, but I understand why they did it.
Old 03-17-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Movies are booked (usually) for a period of 2 weeks, if they aren't successful in that time and show no signs of improvement, they're gone.

Makes sense really, Running Scared bombed. Hard.