Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

High Tension - How Aja wanted to end it (untagged spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

High Tension - How Aja wanted to end it (untagged spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Two punishments I hope to never have to endure again.

INTENSITY: Girl goes home with friend over college break.
HIGH TENSION: Girl goes home with friend over college break.

INTENSITY: Serial killer breaks into house, kills everyone but girl he did not know was there.
HIGH TENSION: Same.

I: Girl gets in killer's vehicle without killer's knowledge.
HI: Ditto.

I: Killer stops at gas station, heroine sneaks out of vehicle while killer is in station. Girl goes in gas station, attendant sees her and plans to help. Killer knows and kills attendant. Killer leaves, girl takes attendant's car and chases down killer.
HI: Yep, got it!

That takes us right about to the hour mark where Aja came up with twenty minutes of creativity. Well, at least he decided to steal from a different source. I don't care that he did it, but at least give Dean Koontz credit for the story.

So, if in my movie we start off with two robots escaping a space battle, being captured by scavengers, being purchased by a kid and his family, then meeting an old man and finding the kid's family killed, then the kid joins forces with the old man and they set off to a bar to find a pilot to fly them to rescue the princess who was captured in the opening space battle, and then the motley crew proceed to rescue the princess and lead a rebellion . . . but then we flash back and find out that the kid was really just dreaming all this . . . Tell me I won't end up with George Lucas litigating my ass off.
Thank you, i was too lazy to make the same point, but you said it very well.
I stopped enjoying the film after she snuck into the killers van because i had seen the story before. It was Intensity, with the exception of the little girl.
Old 03-12-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
yet another personal attack aside, I agree with you here: the majority of people who saw it agree that it was a complete cop out of an ending that ruined the film. You seem to have difficulty comprehending that fact....remember, if you are the one that thinks EVERYONE else is the wrong one....you ought to look in the mirror.
Just stop humoring him.
Old 03-12-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Paradice -- It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who lost patience with the film when I realized I had read/seen it before.

And now for the shocking plot twist of this thread . . . Janus and Natural Born Thriller are in fact the same person! Oooh, ahh, look how creative I am (throws blood at post readers) . . .
Old 03-12-06, 02:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradice -- It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who lost patience with the film when I realized I had read/seen it before.

And now for the shocking plot twist of this thread . . . Janus and Natural Born Thriller are in fact the same person! Oooh, ahh, look how creative I am (throws blood at post readers) . . .
now you're just intentionally talking stupid ratheer than unintentionally.
Old 03-12-06, 02:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by paradicelost
Thank you, i was too lazy to make the same point, but you said it very well.
I stopped enjoying the film after she snuck into the killers van because i had seen the story before. It was Intensity, with the exception of the little girl.
again, the basic PREMISE, not story, but hey whatever.
Old 03-12-06, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Heh, with you laying it out there like that...yeah, I kinda feel like a dunce. Even though I've seen the movie through once (and went back to watch a few bits again before sending it back to netflix) I still kind of forget the car ride never happened. I know they don't know each other at all, but I still branch off the film (in my head) with the masturbation scene/killer arriving at Ava's home and not from the very start. BTW the DVDtalk review raised the point, but I think there are all kinds of things that can be raised with masturbation scene starting everything off. The torture and the chase actually being like sex (or at least arrousing) for Marie. I liked that aspect of the story. Thinking about it now, I guessing the severed head thing never actually happened (unless the detectives found it and I'm forgetting that plot point), and maybe that was just a projection of Marie on what she thinks the sick killer bastard would do? I dunno.

I'm definately going to buy a copy eventually and watch it again.
yeah the masterbation scene is another very talked about scene, and like you said alot of people think this started it off. after talking witha few friends and some other interet posters, i believe the actual "switch" took place when marie was on teh swing smoking and saw alex naked in the shower, and masterbation scene was made up, because she probably wouldn't be masterbating in the house if she wasn't allowed access to it openly since she never knew alex nor the family. she "switched" came in and killed the family. now the question arises, "why did she remember a masterbation?" that can be answered with, it did happen, just not when we saw it. if you remember when alex "fought herself" the killer put a plastic bag over her face and put his fingers in her mouth and said "do you like alex? i like alex to." and he starts moaning. now if that doesn't mimic masterbation i don't know wha does. again, it's marie trying to fix holes in her mind by creating fake memories with real memories.
Old 03-12-06, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

True. The ruse was a totally deep and original idea too.