Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myster X
T1000 hates it since he's not in the movie.
hehehe..

He's the man!
Old 02-25-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked T3 as much as I liked T1. I know T2 is a fanboy favorite but I've never liked that one since so much seemed like a rehash of the fist movie. I can't remember what other movies came out the summer of T3, but T3 was my favorite that summer.

As stated above, T3 had the guts to go through with Judgement day happening and they didn't stop it in the last few seconds. Bring on T4.
Old 02-25-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cartload
And my biggest problem has already been satted by others. It rendered T2 pointless. The slogan from the first two was "No fate but what you make." T3 said "No fate but what you can put off for a few more years."
T2's theme was "no fate but what we make for ourselves". That's not what T1 was trying to say though. The first movie was much more in line with T3 in that it was about accepting our fate no matter how difficult or bleak it may be. Both Sarah and John Connor have scenes in the first and third films respectively where they tell their protector that they don't want any part of their destiny, but by the end of the movies, they've accepted their roles as leaders of the resistance.

Again, it's fair to criticize T3 for undermining the theme of T2, but you'd have to do the same for T2 doing it to T1. I do feel sorry for Miles Dyson though. Poor guy gave his life for nothing.
Old 02-25-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Again, it's fair to criticize T3 for undermining the theme of T2, but you'd have to do the same for T2 doing it to T1. I do feel sorry for Miles Dyson though. Poor guy gave his life for nothing.
Yeah, and his sentient Stealth fighter didn't pan out either.
Old 02-25-06, 04:35 PM

When I saw it in the theater I wasn't expecting much. I liked it. It didn't have the James Cameron touch but it was still a decent movie, a lot better then all the other action/sci-fi dreck Hollywood puts out.

I don't care if it nullifies T2's story or themes. To me, this is not a franchise set on sending a message or winning best picture. They're fucking action films so I enjoy them as such.
Old 02-25-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
T2's theme was "no fate but what we make for ourselves". That's not what T1 was trying to say though. The first movie was much more in line with T3 in that it was about accepting our fate no matter how difficult or bleak it may be. Both Sarah and John Connor have scenes in the first and third films respectively where they tell their protector that they don't want any part of their destiny, but by the end of the movies, they've accepted their roles as leaders of the resistance.

Yep. Funny how people dis it for being a T2 clone and undermining its themes, when T2 was a T1 clone and undermined its themes. How soon we forget, huh?

I liked T3, in fact it's probably my favorite of the series. Then again, I prefer a nihilistic ending to a crappy Hollywood-style "look, we've once again overcome the odds and set the world to rights" happy ending.
Old 02-25-06, 05:54 PM

Then again, I prefer a nihilistic ending to a crappy Hollywood-style "look, we've once again overcome the odds and set the world to rights" happy ending.
I think that was some of the appeal for me too... had they found some way to end it on an upbeat I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I do.
Old 02-25-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I liked it quite a bit. The ending was great, considering what lead up to it. I also don't have a problem with Linda not being in the film. Quite honestly, I could do without Arnold being in any more as well. After a while, it'll end up like Sigourney in the Alien films, it gets old having the same lead character.
Old 02-25-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There has been talk of Arnold not being in T4 much or not at all since he is sort of busy running the state. Storywise, it makes sense since the Arnold wouldn't be around so soon in the war. Also, he could be a bad guy again (something I'm sure everyone would love).
Old 02-25-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
I think that was some of the appeal for me too... had they found some way to end it on an upbeat I probably wouldn't have liked it as much as I do.
Universally, most people say that the ending was the best part of the movie.
Old 02-25-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I enjoy it. The action scenes are impressive, the ending is slick. The movie is still kind of dumb and silly at points, but based on what I was expecting, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.

Sure, it don't match up to its predecessors but no biggie.
Old 02-25-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by T1000
What's everyone's opinion on this film?

I personally hate everything about and denied it ever existed. It's a disgrace and an insult to the previous two, and what's worse is there's gonna be a fourth.

The guy who played John Connor was a wimp. His whole character was wimpish. John Connor from T2 had more balls then this guy.

Then, they kill off Linda Hamilton's character because she didn't want to do it? That is insane!

It should've never been made. Cameron already said the story had been told, yet they've tainted the series with a 3rd, and are gonna try and ruin it with a 4th.

As you can see, I really hate this film...
I couldn't have said it better myself. This is to the T2 franchise what Alien 3 was to the Alien films. Invalidated almost everything that was good about the other two. T2 ended the story and they had made it through Judgement Day only to have it undone by the third movie. It's one of those movies you see and you know they did it just for the Money.
Old 02-25-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think T3 is in the same league as T1 or T2, but its actually is entertaining...as long as you divorce its expectations from the films that came before it. Without James Cameron or Linda Hamilton (who is the actual heart of the series) it didn't fully feel like the same series.

I liked it though, and the ending was refreshing, definately not what I was expecting.
Old 02-25-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
There has been talk of Arnold not being in T4 much or not at all since he is sort of busy running the state. Storywise, it makes sense since the Arnold wouldn't be around so soon in the war. Also, he could be a bad guy again (something I'm sure everyone would love).
I'm all for just an Arnold Cameo at the end. The final few minutes of T4 could be them creating Arnold's T-800 and sending him to the past to kill Sarah.

...And the circle of life continues

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 02-25-06 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 02:22 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a bad film, but the first 2 were way better
Old 02-26-06, 09:18 AM

T3 was a breath of fresh air. I was not expecting much, and actually felt the same as some did here in that they just made another insignificant sequel for the money. But I decided to give it a chance. The action was top notch, which is what the whole series is about, and it had the balls to move the story along. The score was disappointing though but otherwise, I loved it and still pop it in if nothing more than just to watch that chase scene.

With all this talk about making T4 and who will be in it etc, if you think about it, I believe The Matrix storyline could become the ultimate conclusion to The Terminator series.