Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Uwe Boll - Worst director ever?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Uwe Boll - Worst director ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Uwe Boll - Worst director ever?

Boll also ridiculed the staff at Kickstarter, who he said manipulated him into thinking his new movie, “Rampage 3: No Mercy,” could raise $55,000 in a month.

The sequel to “Rampage,” his 2009 film, has only raised $24,500 with three days left. It’s the third failed attempt to reach the target goal after efforts on similar sites like Indiegogo.

“What retarded amateur idiots collecting money on that website,” he said of Kickstarter. “For me crowd funding is absolutely dead.”
It should tell Boll something that a card game made 8.7 million dollars, while he couldn't get past $25,000.
Old 06-09-15, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

You know this was an bumped thread from nearly a decade ago, otherwise it would read "Worse director ever?"
Old 06-09-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Good. Horrible filmmakers should be stopped.
Lets work on Paul W. S. Anderson & McG next.
Old 06-09-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Anderson is Spielberg compared to "Toilet" Boll.
Old 06-09-15, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't hate Paul W.S. Anderson as much as many people do. He's no genius, and his films are instantly forgettable, but they're functional trash that fills time pleasantly enough on video. As far as B-movie junk, you can do way, way worse, IMO.
Old 06-10-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I don't hate Paul W.S. Anderson as much as many people do.
You're much nicer than I am. If it wasn't for Event Horizon I'd probably hate him even more.
Old 06-10-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Early in his career Paul W.S. Anderson directed Event Horizon, Mortal Kombat and Soldier, all of which I enjoyed. Perhaps Mortal Kombat 2 would have been better if he had stuck around. As much as I did not enjoy going away from the video games, I will admit I did watch all of his RE movies. His bad movies were watchable to me at least.

Boll is/was a joke of a director that was completely without talent and his movies are nearly unwatchable to me.
Old 06-10-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Anderson is Spielberg compared to "Toilet" Boll.
"Toilet" Boll.
Old 06-10-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
You're much nicer than I am. If it wasn't for Event Horizon I'd probably hate him even more.
As someone pointed out in a Fark thread, EH destroyed the careers of almost everyone in it. Fishburne got lucky with The Matrix. But if you look at everyone else, especially the women, that movie was a career killer.

And I kinda liked AvP. It wasn't bad and it had a lot of the historical stuff I've seen discussed on Ancient Aliens.
Old 06-11-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
As someone pointed out in a Fark thread, EH destroyed the careers of almost everyone in it. Fishburne got lucky with The Matrix. But if you look at everyone else, especially the women, that movie was a career killer.
You mean Hollywood Mega Stars Kathleen Quinlan and Joely Richardson?
Old 06-11-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup. Look at their careers for about five years after EH. Crap movies. And now they are doing TV instead of film, where they started their careers.

Has Sam Neil done anything of note lately?
Old 06-11-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
That loophole has been closed, and AFAIK not too different from the U.S. from my own experiences.
We had a good film incentive here in Michigan at one time, which is have taken advantage of when I got out of college had I not been a fucking idiot. But isn't that usually the reason for shooting in a particular place? Here, New Mexico, weren't there a number of places which shot where they did for tax reasons? Isn't that why so many tv shows shoot in Vancouver?
Old 06-11-15, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The rumor revolved around German tax loopholes that made it financially viable to invest in films even if they lost money:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll#Financing

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._screenwriter/

This doesn't explain how he still got financing after 2005, but I think he budgets dropped significantly after that time.

Edit: As his rant suggests, there's a lot of investors out there that want to be "in the movie business," and don't know or care about it enough to know what make a good film, so it seems like he's been able to scrounge up enough cash from these sources to keep going. He's also been churning out 3 films a year recently, in a "quantity not quality" move. Also, he's likely saving money in certain ways between these productions: I think BloodRayne: The Third Reich, Blubberella, and Auschwitz all made use of some of the same sets.
That's fair enough, and everyone who wants to break into films starts with crap jobs, but you'd think that people who want to be "in the movie business" would want a return on their investment at some point .

The whole concept of getting a tax write-off for a movie that loses money sounds like The Producers .

But hey, I suppose he gets to make films of his own and get them distributed which is more than can be said for many wannabe filmmakers. He's drawn some, if not major talent, then at least recognizable names like Statham. Did his agent tell him that was good career move ?
Old 06-12-15, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His identical twin is also a hack. Liefeld.