Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The death of Hollywood

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The death of Hollywood

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But these top 10 list only prove the point that Hollywood is not dying and this thread title is wrong. The fact that 6 of the top 10 grossing films last year are sequels and remakes means that is EXACTLY what the masses want. It may not appeal to all of you here, but they aren't trying to please the few.
Old 02-14-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kcbrett5
It may not appeal to all of you here, but they aren't trying to please the few.
I find it odd that such a varried selection of random people from across the country, gathered here on these forums, have a seemingly collective opinion that runs opposite to that of the general population. Note that this is not a disagreement with your post, simply an observation.

-JP
Old 02-14-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I'm actually interested in a few of those,
28 Weeks Later
The Evil Dead
Fahrenheit 9/11 ½
The Fly
Miami Vice

Those sound better to me than some of the shlock that has been made lately.
same here
Old 02-14-06, 10:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought Mr. & Mrs. Smith was also a remake?
Old 02-14-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I thought Mr. & Mrs. Smith was also a remake?
Old 02-14-06, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I find it odd that such a varried selection of random people from across the country, gathered here on these forums, have a seemingly collective opinion that runs opposite to that of the general population. Note that this is not a disagreement with your post, simply an observation.

-JP
Thats a good point but I am not sure how varied of a sampling this is. I mean, the people who visit and post clearly have a few things in common. They obviously watch movies, and care enough about movies to visit forums, read about movies, and post their opinions about movies.

My only point was that this list of movies doesn't mean the death of hollywood. Sequels are as close to a sure thing as you can get in hollywood. They know based on the original how much money to expect to make off the sequel and they budget accordingly. I can't name one person starring in Final Destination 3, but it had a very good 1st week. That movie, which I would never watch because I am sure I would hate it, will turn a profit for the studio. So why shouldn't the studios make more movies like that? With as many movies as there are these days, I don't think making a crappy sequel prevents a good movie from getting made. It probably just gets made by and independent with smaller audiences. But hollywood is certainly not dying.
Old 02-15-06, 09:55 AM

The Godfather Part II was the first sequel in movie history, right? I always thought it was, but I may be wrong. If it was then I think it's hard to compare the number of sequels in 1974 with 2005/06, being that it was a new thing at that time.
Not even remotely close....

Beware! The Blob (1972)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
After the Thin Man (1936)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
Son of Kong (1933)
From Russia With Love (1963)
Tarzan and His Mate (1934)

Just to name a few.