Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Short scenes with obvious and easily explainable symbolism

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Short scenes with obvious and easily explainable symbolism

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The Old Man and the Sea, Frankenstein's monster, etc., all becoming Christ-figures.

Superman: Christ-like referrence here when you realize Jor-El sends his only Son to save the World or to be Mankind's Saviour. I mean sure, he did send him to save his life. But Jor-El realized what would become of Kal. He even knew Kal will be treated horribly, mistrusted, and feared for being Unique much like Jesus was.

E.T.: The poster of ET's finger touching the boy's...much like Michelangelo's Classic painting of God touching Adam's hand. ET's powers were Christ-like.

The Green Mile: Death for another person's sins. Can't get anymore Christ-like than that. Also his healing powers.

Chonicles of Narnia: Azlan the Lion. Jesus was also known as the "Lion of Judah". Azlan
Spoiler:
gives his life for another then resurrects
like Jesus.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-14-06 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paradicelost
One being that the first color that is seen in the black&white world of Pleasentville is red which often represents lust. Plus it just happened to occur after the kid just had sex.
I like this one. Use it, teacher...it's a good one.

-JP
Old 02-13-06, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Beauty - When Kevin Spacey is at his desk his computer screen has vertical columns which appear to be jail cell bars.
Old 02-13-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I like this one. Use it, teacher...it's a good one.

-JP
The Sixth Sense: Red was present whenever a Ghost touched something. i.e. the basement doorknob....

American Beauty: Red was used for their Front Door and some other things specific to the Director's intent but I can't remember all of them them now.
Old 02-13-06, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
American Beauty: Red was used for their Front Door and some other things specific to the Director's intent but I can't remember all of them them now.
Red was everywhere in that movie. Ditto for green in Road to Perdition and that army fatigue/desert tan in Jarhead. Fucking Mendes loves his dominant color schemes.

Oh, and in line with your list of Christ-like symbolism: Donnie Darko.

-JP
Old 02-13-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flightplan - As Kyle (Jodie Foster) is leaving her building, there is a bust over the doorway with a crack in its head.
Old 02-13-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both Hero and House of Flying Daggers include a ton of symbolism, primarily through the various hues of the settings and character wardrobes.

And Star Wars has plenty of symbolism, from bad-guys-wear-black to the color of the light sabers to chopping off of Luke's hand.

One film that I show my summer school students is Fahrenheit 451. LOADS of symbolism in that one.
Old 02-13-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tanman
You guys are missing one of the greatest transitions and symbolic moments in movie history. The end of the prologue in 2001 with the powerful image of the bone in primitive times transitioning to the pen in the space shuttle symbolizing the transition of brute force to intellegent thought in the evolution of man/civilization.

Really I think the prologue to 2001 has a lot of great imagery and symbolism and is a nice short piece of film to show to your class.
Nobody missed it. That transition doesn't exist.

The bone transitioned to the Pan Am space shuttle, not a pen.

I'll agree the prologue to 2001 does have a lot of imagery, but the bone throwing to space shuttle transition is just about only symbolic sequence in the prologue. Well, I suppose the falling tapir is also symbolic.

At any rate, the rest of the movie is certainly filled with symbolism, particularly the ending.
Old 02-13-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
Nobody missed it. That transition doesn't exist.

The bone transitioned to the Pan Am space shuttle, not a pen.

I'll agree the prologue to 2001 does have a lot of imagery, but the bone throwing to space shuttle transition is just about only symbolic sequence in the prologue. Well, I suppose the falling tapir is also symbolic.

At any rate, the rest of the movie is certainly filled with symbolism, particularly the ending.
Actually, the bone transitions into an abandoned satellite relay, not a space shuttle. But now I'm just being an anal retentive Kubrick-fanboy, so I'll just go eat my own face.
Old 02-13-06, 11:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How about the end of the GODFATHER:

When Al Neri shuts the door in Kay's face, it symbolizes how Michael's criminal ways will always be kept hidden from her.
Old 02-14-06, 12:11 AM

The Deer Hunter - Russian roulette symbolizes a lot of things like powerlessness or pride in one's life after scared by war.

Blade Runner - A lot of symbolism in this film but an eye playing the main role represents the window to human soul.

Apocalypse Now - The ritual sacrifice of a cow symbolizes a certain character.

Rumble Fish - Time lapse, stopped clocks and etc symbolize wasted youth.

Dances With Wolves - The wolf symbolizes the protagonist, alone from the pack.

Silence Of The Lambs - Lambs universally symbolizing innocence, protagonist brings justice and to 'silence of the lambs' scream.

Forrest Gump - Running and feather symbolizes destiny and fate which the two are consistently clashed.
Old 02-14-06, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Apone

Blade Runner - A lot of symbolism in this film but an eye playing the main role represents the window to human soul.
and the best way to detect Replicants with that Void kamph(sp?)machine.

Also, Gaff creates many Origami figures relevant to the story. I'm going from memory here...

Man with Hard on = Attraction to Rachael
Unicorn = A common dream of Replicants because all the dreams are given to them? Gaff knew what Deckard dreamed about...was Deckard a Replicant?
Chicken = Deckard afraid to do his job

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-14-06 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-14-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember in a film class (a general elective) that THE film of symbolism used was Cool Hand Luke. From literal symbols to...well, symbolic symbols, the whole film is practically a symbol. Even if you don't use it...watch it! I saw it for the first time at around 19 or 20, so I'm sure at that time I was a "old movies suck and are boring" kind of guy. A few visual examples:

This head law character is basically always wearing the reflective glasses. Does the law mirror society? Stuff like that...

I guess when I said literal symbolism, I meant like this scene...foreshadowing that Luke would end up in similar chains.

One of a few religious symbols...I believe this is a fallen Christ like image if I remember correctly...perhaps referencing an image like this:

or this:

An obvious religious image that needs no comparison pic.

And finally...another rather obvious image as the prisoners do road work, this young lass taunts and teases by washing a car. I guess the soap suds falling on her represent how dirty she is and needs to be cleaned. COUGH.
Old 02-14-06, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Matrix Revolutions:
Spoiler:
Neo dies with his arms spread like Christ
. Not to mention all the other Biblical symbolisms throughout the series.

A more recent one Munich: The end where (not really a big spoiler, but I'll put it in tags anyway)
Spoiler:
they show the twin towers in the background, obviously trying to show the parallels between then and now
Old 02-14-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by harpo787
I remember in a film class (a general elective) that THE film of symbolism used was Cool Hand Luke. From literal symbols to...well, symbolic symbols, the whole film is practically a symbol. Even if you don't use it...watch it! I saw it for the first time at around 19 or 20, so I'm sure at that time I was a "old movies suck and are boring" kind of guy. A few visual examples:

great post harpo.
Old 02-14-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harpo787

And finally...another rather obvious image as the prisoners do road work, this young lass taunts and teases by washing a car. I guess the soap suds falling on her represent how dirty she is and needs to be cleaned. COUGH.
I think you got this one wrong. This girl's sole purpose of being in the movie is to tempt and tease the convicts with her sexuality. They all are googly-eyed and lusting for her, except Luke. The girl's name - Lucy. Lucifer. Get it?
Old 02-14-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was her name actually Lucy? I figured it was just Redline calling her "my Lucille"....probably spelled that wrong. Oh yeah, of COURSE it's temptation Numanoid, no doubt about that! (c;

Thanks giantrobo!
Old 02-14-06, 02:49 PM

Dawn of the Dead is littered with easy, straightforward symbolic scenes involving the zombies' moth to the flame attraction to the mall.
Old 02-14-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fight Club is filled with symbolism. Tyler and the narrator represent the merging of two comflicting aspects of modern men. Tyler the masculine (fighting, drinking) and the narrator as the feminine (worries about decorating, wonders what dining set defines him as a person.) The support group he frequents represents the de-masculinity of modern man, etc. At the end, the halves are joined into one.
Old 02-14-06, 04:11 PM

Joe Versus the Volcano

The beginning sequence alone has many examples. The crooked path, the lonely flower trying to survive surrounded by concrete and trampling feet, the stark flourescent lighting and cramped, hopeless workplace. Joe's lamp symbolizing his desire to escape. The overbearing boss. I could go on and on. The same person playing Joe's love interest throughout the film. The first Meg Ryan character symbolizes the fear that prevents us from taking risks in life. The second girl portrays the self-centeredness that makes us lonely. Then the third girl guides Joe down the path that leads to his finding happiness (her name is "Angelica") . Ultimately Joe's self-sacrifice allows him to find love and happiness. This film is ripe with symbolism and underlying themes throughout. Joe even has an encounter with "God" in the form of the huge dazzling moon.
Old 02-14-06, 04:12 PM
Banned

Well in Pearl Harbor, when Kate Beckinsale was writing in her journal along the shore with the sunset so low she wouldn't be able to read a thing, that was symbolic of how stupid Michael Bay is.

And in Armageddon when there are random Christmas lights on a tree outside for no reason whatsoever, it was symbolic of how stupid Michael Bay is.

In Bad Boys II, when Martin Lawrence is complaining about not having any money while living in a multi-million dollar waterfront mansion, that was symbolic of how stupid Michael Bay is.

But seriously, venetian blinds are used a lot in movies. When they're partially open, and the light shines down on the character to show that he or she feels trapped, like in American Beauty.

Then there's the heavy-handed stuff, like in Any Given Sunday when Al Pacino is talking to Jamie Foxx about football and Ben Hur is playing on the TV.
Old 02-14-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The Green Mile: Death for another person's sins. Can't get anymore Christ-like than that. Also his healing powers.
Yep. Also, John Coffey, initials J.C. = Jesus Christ
Old 02-14-06, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first movie that came to my mind was Donnie Darko, which NatrlBornThrllr previously mentioned.

Another that I haven't seen for a while, but maybe someone can fill in the blanks, was The Crow, which I think had tons.

= J
Old 02-15-06, 03:20 AM

Mr. 3000- Bernie Mac doesn't get the hit, but he becomes a hit with the sacrifice bunt.

Wayne's World- As much as they say they're not, they are worthy.

Ok, really..

Ocean's Eleven- Cheadle's character is watching the implosion of a building on live TV (news, at that). The building is right outside his window.