Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office 2/10 - 2/12

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office 2/10 - 2/12

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
While subjective to your opinion on what you'd consider "decent" or not, What Lies Beneath was a decent sized hit ($155m domestic, $291m Worldwide), though I have no idea its huge budget went. Air Force One made $173m domestic and about $315m worldwide.

So 6 years since a hit, but still way above the Sly Stallone draw.

Hey at least we got to see the new Chrysler 300
Old 02-12-06, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
While subjective to your opinion on what you'd consider "decent" or not, What Lies Beneath was a decent sized hit ($155m domestic, $291m Worldwide), though I have no idea its huge budget went. Air Force One made $173m domestic and about $315m worldwide.

So 6 years since a hit, but still way above the Sly Stallone draw.

Chrysler 300>this movie
Old 02-13-06, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by animalmystic
When I saw that commercial, I thought it was a trailer at first, until I noticed every scene had him driving the 300. LOL, movies are now direct ads for cars.

Looking forward to FD3 this week sometime as the 24" of snow surely kept me inside.
Old 02-15-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't see Kong making any more money. $215m (Domestic) and $530m-ish (World) is all it will do. Narnia has kicked its ass.
Old 02-15-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grim_tales
Don't see Kong making any more money. $215m (Domestic) and $530m-ish (World) is all it will do. Narnia has kicked its ass.
Yep, that's all. Because everyone knows what a sinch it is to make over $500 million worldwide. #5 highest grossing film of 2005. Grossed $150 million more than Batman Begins. 4 Oscar nominations. Plus it will make a ton of money off dvd sales and rentals. I'd call it a success.

Narnia had the same built-in Christian audience that The Passion did, which no doubt helped boost its take. Not to mention it was extremely kid friendly and had a greater appeal to family audiences.

This is a film that will stand the test of time, regardless of how much money you think it should have earned.
Old 02-15-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Anyone know the reason for the surge in Tuesday's grosses?
Old 02-15-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Did the Northeast finally re-open? I honestly don't know, I was going to say "that's normal", but a 100% spike for a movie is hardly normal.
Old 02-16-06, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was an error when I saw FD3 make a huge jump on Tuesday, but I guess not.
Old 02-16-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was Valentine's Day. People take their dates to see scary movies. Makes sense.
Old 02-16-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

Narnia had the same built-in Christian audience that The Passion did, which no doubt helped boost its take. Not to mention it was extremely kid friendly and had a greater appeal to family audiences.

This is a film that will stand the test of time, regardless of how much money you think it should have earned.
Exactly. So many people trying to say that Kong failed and Narnia kicked it's ass. Sure it did better but it was a kiddie movie and it was shorter than Kong plus all the Christians flocked to see it.
Kong is a much better movie though in my opinion.

Glad B.B is still doing well.
Old 02-16-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Exactly. So many people trying to say that Kong failed and Narnia kicked it's ass. Sure it did better but it was a kiddie movie and it was shorter than Kong plus all the Christians flocked to see it.
Kong did well but was a victim of its own hype, which was largely caused by the studio. It if wasn't hyped to be bigger than Titanic, it wouldn't get grief for being beat by the Narnia. Chronicles of Narnia was underhyped going into the theater run, so anything it did seemed like news.

Oh, and I get sick of this claim that Narnia's numbers are just because of "the Christains." That's just crap, but even if it was true, does it matter? It's not like Christain box office dollars don't count the same as everyone elses.

Originally Posted by Seantn
It was Valentine's Day. People take their dates to see scary movies. Makes sense.
Suddenly, Tuesday's box office numbers make sense. Danke kind sir.
Old 02-16-06, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Narnia wasnt a a Hype machine? It was everywhere!
Old 02-16-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Narnia wasnt a a Hype machine? It was everywhere!
After it took off I saw lots more ads and hype, but not so much before its opening weekend. Certainly not to the Kong levels at any rate. It certainly wasn't expected by most analysts to be bigger than Kong. It did become a hype machine after it became "the movie that is doing better than King Kong!"

I am not trying to insult King Kong mind you, I am just saying that the expectations game hurts how it is perceived, regardless of how good the movie actually is. I do personally prefer Narnia, but I liked Kong too.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-16-06 at 06:56 PM.