Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Claymation is dead! Long live.....CGI?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fans of Aardman, home of Wallace and Gromit, might want to fortify themselves with a bit of cheese before swallowing this news.

Digits are out. Digital is in.

The very hands-on British animation studio behind such stop-motion films as 2000's Chicken Run and last year's The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is relying on computers to bring to life its fall comedy, Flushed Away.

Aardman's latest co-production with DreamWorks, due Nov. 3, employs high-tech tools rather than clay models to construct an underground city of rats below London's streets.

Hugh Jackman, the voice of snooty lead rodent Roderick St. James, has been an Aardman addict since 1994, when he and his brother saw the Oscar-winning short The Wrong Trousers. "We were crying tears of laughter. I've since bought everything they've done."

Although several Aardman-ites had to pull up stakes and move into DreamWorks' facility in Glendale, Calif., the British humor remains intact as Roddy is pushed into a toilet, lands in a teeming metropolis and is pursued by a gang of ruffians.

"Each of my recording sessions ended in hysterics," says Jackson, whose vocal collaborators include Kate Winslet as spirited scavenger Rita, Ian McKellen as slimy mobster Toad, and Andy Serkis and Bill Nighy as hench vermin Spike and Whitey.

Jackson is especially tickled that the plot involves World Cup soccer. As he puts it, "England is in the finals, so, yes, this is a fantasy, and I say that as an Australian."

A early look at FlushedAway's world beneath the loo is on the Were-Rabbit DVD ($30), which arrives Feb. 7. "We did not want to become this shiny, colorful thing like CGI movies are," co-director Sam Fell says. "We scruffed up the film and added wonky imperfections."

Flushed Away's characters have been fully "Aardman-ized," he assures. "They have wide smiles, round edges and spherical eyes close together."

One creature is destined to upstage the rest: Le Frog, a hit amphibian spoken by French actor Jean Reno. Wasn't he insulted to play, well, a frog?

"At first we thought we should have a British comic do it because there is a tradition of the Brits ripping into the French," Fell says. "But a newer idea was to have a French actor do it. It's fantastic to hear this deep, rich voice coming out of this tough little frog."

Sounds absolutely ribbit-ing.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...hed-away_x.htm

This is disappointing news. I understand it takes years to do what they did with Wallace & Gromit, but this just isn't the same. Although the pictures make it look like Aardman work, I want to see how they move.
Old 01-31-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
This is disappointing news. I understand it takes years to do what they did with Wallace & Gromit, but this just isn't the same.
Well, it takes years to do a CGI film as well. Really, it's the story and the characters that are more important to me rather than which animation method was used to make the film.

Overall though, I wouldn't worry too much. This film isn't directed by Peter Lord or Nick Park, but some new guys. I doubt Aardman will drop stop-motion all together. It seems more like an experiment done by some upstarts in the company.

Now, if we can just get Pixar to dabble in traditional cel or stop-motion animation now that they're over at Disney.
Old 01-31-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death to CGI! Long live stop motion animation! Long live cell animation!
Old 01-31-06, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 614 Posts
I wonder if the fire had anything to do with the change?
Old 01-31-06, 08:48 AM

I hear Wes Anderson is using claymation for his next feature, Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I hope CGI is a trend that will fade out in a few years, I don't like to see one form dominating
Old 01-31-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look at the Oscar nominations today... all 3 of the nominated films are NOT CG flicks... Corpse Bride and Wallace are stop motion, Howl's is traditional 2-d animation...hopefully this will spark a "renaissance"...

MATT
Old 01-31-06, 09:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
Look at the Oscar nominations today... all 3 of the nominated films are NOT CG flicks... Corpse Bride and Wallace are stop motion, Howl's is traditional 2-d animation...hopefully this will spark a "renaissance"...

MATT
I agree -
Old 01-31-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000

MATT
I just hope it sparks a renaissance in good animated movie making. I don't think there were any CGI animated films this year that deserved to be nominated. I past years, I think they would have nominated one of them anyway just to pad out the selections (they nominated Shark Tale last year) but maybe they're trying to build a little more credibility for the Animated Feature catagory.
Old 01-31-06, 10:03 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 873 Posts
yeah, with nom today and possible win, i see more by makers of Wallace and Gromit at least.
Old 01-31-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I was just wondering during Christmas why no one makes stop-motion Christmas specials anymore. There was actually a CGI Rudolph special that made me (and my 8-year-old) yearn for the days of "old school" animation. Rudolph just wasn't meant to be computer generated.
Old 01-31-06, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision
I was just wondering during Christmas why no one makes stop-motion Christmas specials anymore. There was actually a CGI Rudolph special that made me (and my 8-year-old) yearn for the days of "old school" animation. Rudolph just wasn't meant to be computer generated.
but even that very short clay animated 'dream' sequence from the December 'Christmas' episode of the George Lopez tv show, was a complete letdown - it was waaay too brief.
Old 01-31-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Really, it's the story and the characters that are more important to me rather than which animation method was used to make the film.
Old 01-31-06, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Well, it takes years to do a CGI film as well. Really, it's the story and the characters that are more important to me rather than which animation method was used to make the film.
that may be true - but Hollywood's current method of thinking is that get a whole bunch of 'actors' create some wacky story, sprinkle it with some hip humour and you've got a hit - no... I don't think so.
Old 01-31-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find it ironic that everyone was telling Disney that the type of animation didn't matter. It was the story that mattered. Now people are saying it's the style of animation that matters. Why? Because of this illogical hatred of CG. Go figure.

However, Giles makes a good point.
Old 01-31-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the worst of Pixar is still 10x better than any of that Wallace & Gromit crap. I don't understand the love for stop motion animation. I used to have fun with my parents' video camera making stop motion movies with my Ninja Turtles but this Hollywood where they can afford to make the movie look real.
Old 01-31-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Maybe we should worry more about creative movies being made, and movies being made in the appropriate format, rather than split into armed camps over these silly CGI v. stop motion v. cel animation.

The Incredibles simply would not have worked in any other format than CGI. Wallace and Gromit are the heart of stop motion animation, and a traditional storyteller like Miyazaki simply is not going to be able to express himself otherwise. All three have strengths (and weaknesses). Why not just enjoy good movies and leave it at that?
Old 01-31-06, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I wonder if the fire had anything to do with the change?
Yep that's what I was thinking. From what I read, they lost everything but the original Wallace & Gromit models.
Old 01-31-06, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah, the worst of Pixar is still 10x better than any of that Wallace & Gromit crap. I don't understand the love for stop motion animation. I used to have fun with my parents' video camera making stop motion movies with my Ninja Turtles but this Hollywood where they can afford to make the movie look real.
This can be read in two ways, the first sarcastic, the second by someone who's very ignorant.

We don't need to hear the "story/characters are what make the film" platitude, we're talking about what medium is best for bringing that story to life. In the case of wallace and gromit, making them smoothly animated and shiny takes away the charm that made them original to begin with.

I think this whole argument is not about the strengths and weaknesses of any format, but studios seeing CGI films as an automatic cash-in with the potential of sacrificing important artistic decisions.
Old 01-31-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

That was funny. Poppy, I love your jokes.

In all seriousness, anyone else thinking about the shutout of CG from the Oscars? Sure, Wallace & Gromit had some cg, but still...
Old 02-01-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 192 Posts
I would prefer W&G to stay clay, but I have no problem with other forms of animation. Of course story and characters come first, but certain animation fits for obvious reasons. How would an anime look as claymation?
Old 02-01-06, 02:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Ray Harryhausen work is far more fun to watch than (nearly) any CGI.
Old 02-01-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Clay, CGI, 2-D....if a GREAT STORY isn't there it doesn't matter one damn bit.
Old 02-01-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Any Ray Harryhausen work is far more fun to watch than (nearly) any CGI.
Not really, but I can see where one might think so.
Old 02-01-06, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD King

We don't need to hear the "story/characters are what make the film" platitude, we're talking about what medium is best for bringing that story to life. In the case of wallace and gromit, making them smoothly animated and shiny takes away the charm that made them original to begin with.
Yeah right....Uh, sorry but you generally don't hear anyone complaining about whether TV shows are Video taped or Filmed. People complain about -CRAP SHOWS- not the media they're recorded on...

I think this whole argument is not about the strengths and weaknesses of any format, but studios seeing CGI films as an automatic cash-in with the potential of sacrificing important artistic decisions.

Art fart...let us not forget that Hollywood is a buisness.
Old 02-01-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wtf?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.