Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man on Discover Ch. Feb.3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man on Discover Ch. Feb.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is everyone's theory on the guy?
I agree that he wasn't playing with a full deck. You can't do what he did and not be crazy. He seemed like someone who couldn't handle society, and felt more comfortable living as a wild man. His rants only reinforced the idea that he was nuts. He seemed to be a guy with a death wish.

But I do believe he loved the bears and wanted to protect them. But when you play with fire long enough, you're going to get burned. A bear killed him, and I have no doubt that he knew sooner or later it would happen. It's too bad. It's also sad that his girlfriend was with him, because it seem obvious to me that she was afraid of the bears and didn't want to be out there. But she loved him enough that she forced herself to do it.

Now as to whether that older bear that he filmed was the bear that killed him, nobody knows nor will they ever know. It could have been a bear that he didn't know.
Old 02-05-06, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all I do agree that the documentary was done well - but this man Treadwell - was a scam. That is not his real name, he is from NY not Australia and he was a drug addict that could not handle the real world. The ONLY thing he accomplished was getting an innocent girl killed. I live in alaska and have for many years and this man has done nothing for the bears - no one in Alaska including the natives, government or bears wanted him here. I am truly sorry for his death but he only brought that on himself, he pushed the respect boundry with wild animals. This movie completey pissed me off - he did not save any of the bears or wildlife at all. He was completely parinoid of everything and the saddest part was that his so called friends let him continue in this farce.
The documentary points all that out. It explains the Austrailia thing, the drugs, the fact that he didn't save any wildlife, and that he was paranoid. His friends let him continue because they knew they wouldn't be able to convince him to live a different life.

If only he hadn't argued with the Air Alaska clerk.....
Old 02-05-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
It's also sad that his girlfriend was with him, because it seem obvious to me that she was afraid of the bears and didn't want to be out there. But she loved him enough that she forced herself to do it.
The companion doc that Discovery produced, DIARY OF A GRIZZLY MAN, points out that this was actually the girlfriend's third summer up there with him, and that she was an experienced outdoors person.

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
The documentary points all that out. It explains the Austrailia thing, the drugs, the fact that he didn't save any wildlife, and that he was paranoid.
The companion documentery also has a deleted scene from the film where the ex and the pilot find a poached grizzly in the reserve the year after Treadwell's death. They mention that it's the 6th poached grizzly corpse found so far that year, and that there were no reported incidents of poaching in the reserve during the 13 years of Treadwell's expeditions.
Old 02-05-06, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
now only if he would have brought some bud light with him....

Last edited by Me007gold; 02-05-06 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw it. The guy was a nut. Couldn't help laughing my butt off at him in several parts for being so crazy. I'm surprised it took that long for the bears to eat him. I would have thought his first year out, he'd be bear-lunch.
Old 02-05-06, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The companion doc that Discovery produced, DIARY OF A GRIZZLY MAN, points out that this was actually the girlfriend's third summer up there with him, and that she was an experienced outdoors person.
Maybe, but I also remember the doc mentioning that she was afraid of the bears. We rarely saw her, and in fact never saw her face out of respect for her family. But it looked as though she didn't want to be out there with the bears.

For what it's worth, I'm an outdoorsman, but I have no desire to go face to face with grizzlies for 1 second, much less 13 summers.
Old 02-05-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
What's this I have read about some of the people interviewed being actors and not actual friends?
Old 02-05-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
Maybe, but I also remember the doc mentioning that she was afraid of the bears. We rarely saw her, and in fact never saw her face out of respect for her family. But it looked as though she didn't want to be out there with the bears.
We didn't get many shots of her because Tredwell was creating a fiction of being "all alone" for the film he was shooting. We actually do get to see her face near the end of the film, where she's crouching down in front of a bear. The woman was 37 years old, if she really didn't want to be out there with the bears, she didn't have to go up there for 3 consecutive summers.

For what it's worth, I'm an outdoorsman, but I have no desire to go face to face with grizzlies for 1 second, much less 13 summers.
Most people don't want to go skydiving or bungie jumping either. However, we don't typically refer to the people who do those sports as being suicidal or crazy, and when an accident occurs, it's still tragic if not entirely unexpected.
Old 02-05-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What's this I have read about some of the people interviewed being actors and not actual friends?
All of the people interviewed were his actual friends, but a good number of them are also actors or failed actors.
Old 02-06-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the doc on TV, but I can't remember now: were they in the tent when the bear killed them?
Old 02-06-06, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They were in their camp when it happened, but the film doesn't mention whether or not they were in the tent when the attack occurred. That factor's probably a bit of an unknown.
Old 02-06-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I tried to watch it on and off, but couldn't deal. For some reason insane people scare the living shit out of me (agateophobia?) and I found I just couldn't remain comfortable watching this lunatic.
Old 02-06-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was talking to a few people about the movie, and they thought that he was a closeted homosexual as well. He definitely was outlandish, but I didn't think that he was gay. Not that it really matters.

I have to say though: Timothy Treadwell did not look like he was 47 years old. Looking at him, I would say mid to late 30s.
Old 02-06-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I haven't seen this anywhere on this site, but have you guys heard this story about what happened to Herzog over the weekend while doing a promo interview in LA for "Grizzly Man":

HERZOG SHOT DURING INTERVIEW

World Entertainment News Network
Posted February 3 2006

German director Werner Herzog was shot by a crazed fan during a recent interview with the Bbc.

The 63-year-old was chatting with movie journalist Mark Kermode about his new documentary Grizzly Man, when a sniper opened fire with an air rifle.

Kermode explains, "I thought a firecracker had gone off.

"Herzog, as if it was the most normal thing in the world, said, 'Oh, someone is shooting at us. We must go.'

"He had a bruise the size of a snooker ball, with a hole in. He just carried on with the interview while bleeding quietly in his boxer shorts."

An unrepentant Herzog insisted, "It was not a significant bullet. I am not
afraid."
Here's the interview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...toryid=4681050
Old 02-06-06, 05:26 PM

Damn 50 Cent aint got nothin on Werner. Glad he's OK.
Old 02-06-06, 05:54 PM
MGR

Originally Posted by brainee
I haven't seen this anywhere on this site, but have you guys heard this story about what happened to Herzog over the weekend while doing a promo interview in LA for "Grizzly Man":

Here's the interview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/u...toryid=4681050
What an amazing Herzog interview. Especially when he pulls down his drawers on camera to show the BBC interviewer his bullet wound! And it's still bleeding! Man, that wound was only a few inches away from his family jewels...

OK now we know for sure Herzog is crazy. The legend grows...
Old 02-06-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by MGR
What an amazing Herzog interview. Especially when he pulls down his drawers on camera to show the BBC interviewer his bullet wound! And it's still bleeding! Man, that wound was only a few inches away from his family jewels...

OK now we know for sure Herzog is crazy. The legend grows...

The more you think about it, the more appropriate it was for Herzog to be the man who assembled this documentary about the life of Timothy Treadwell.
Old 02-06-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
If only he hadn't argued with the Air Alaska clerk.....
I doubt that event happened as Werner Herzog claimed it did (i.e. he assumed that that argument caused Treadwell to return to the park, leading to his death). The real story I've read elsewhere on why Treadwell stayed in the park longer is because one of "his" bears was missing, and he was afraid something had happened to it. But he did see the bear again and was going to leave when he was killed.
Old 02-06-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The more you think about it, the more appropriate it was for Herzog to be the man who assembled this documentary about the life of Timothy Treadwell.
I actually think someone else could've make a much better documentary from Tim Treadwell's footage than what Herzog did. (Herzog reported didn't even screen all of Treadwell's footage, from what I've read.)
Old 02-07-06, 12:03 AM

What the heck is a "snooker ball"? Must be a British thing.
Old 02-07-06, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched the 'The Diary of Grizzly Man' the featurette that followed the film, last night and thought it bookended the film perfectly. One question - the shot of the dead 'Olly the bear' - what was the date of the picture? - was it before Timothy's death or was the scene verifying that Olly wasn't the bear in question?
Old 02-07-06, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
What the heck is a "snooker ball"? Must be a British thing.
No such luck; snooker is snooker everywhere. It's a form of billiards.
Old 02-07-06, 07:31 PM

I guess it's now glaringly obvious that I don't play billiards.
Old 02-07-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I watched the 'The Diary of Grizzly Man' the featurette that followed the film, last night and thought it bookended the film perfectly. One question - the shot of the dead 'Olly the bear' - what was the date of the picture? - was it before Timothy's death or was the scene verifying that Olly wasn't the bear in question?
That was a picture of the bear that was shot by park rangers and had human remains discovered inside. The park service never identified the bear aside from its tag number. Whether or not the bear that killed Treadwell was Olly is probably up for debate, although it's possible that someone could compare pictures and features of each bear.
Old 02-08-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I tried to watch it on and off, but couldn't deal. For some reason insane people scare the living shit out of me (agateophobia?) and I found I just couldn't remain comfortable watching this lunatic.
He was a bit of a kook, wasn't he?
The ex girlfriend that got the watch was a bit weird too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.