Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man on Discover Ch. Feb.3

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man on Discover Ch. Feb.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I tuned in late for the documentary afterwards. I just heard that the lady who had possession of the tape DID NOT destroy it. She then said she doesn't know why she didn't and she hasn't heard it since.
Old 02-03-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Fantastic film. If you have not seen it yet you should check it out. And I'm glad we don't hear the audio of them dying, nobody should have to hear that.
What? They don't play it? That's why I was watching it.

Edit: The Herzog documentary that I really want to watch is "Wings of Hope"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249248/
Where he goes back to the Peruvian jungle with the girl (now woman) who was the sole survivor of a plane explosion.

Last edited by Heat; 02-03-06 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Watching this right now. Looks good. Lots of commericials though.
Old 02-03-06, 10:30 PM

Nice to see this on TV. Too bad about the commercials though, excessive.
Old 02-03-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
For those who didn't see this thread before (like me) it's also on the following times:

33 DSC - Saturday, 04, 08:00 PM EDT
33 DSC - Saturday, 04, 11:00 PM EDT
Old 02-03-06, 11:32 PM

his "actor" friend is funny, it sounds like he's trying to act out some preconceived lines for the interview
Old 02-03-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While patting a pile of bear crap, said with love in his voice:

“I can feel it, I can feel the poop. It’s warm, it was just inside of her. I know it seems weird but I was touching her poop and it was inside of her. I was inside of her…”

That guy was just plain crazy. And he later was even more inside of a bear, of course.
Old 02-04-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD King
his "actor" friend is funny, it sounds like he's trying to act out some preconceived lines for the interview

That's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'd hate to say it, but more than a few of the interviews felt prestaged and rehearsed. Good docu though.
Old 02-04-06, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched it on the discover channel. Do you think they showed enough commercials? Even though we all saw it coming, no one deserves to be eaten by any animal. What an awful way to die. That's the world we live in though. I consider myself an outsider and not able to relate to most humans, but you won't see me in the wilderness. What is everyone's theory on the guy? The two that I heard is that either he was nuts or that he was doing this to seek fame. I think he definetly had mental issues. In the long run, I think the guy did more harm to animals by being eaten by one when he should have stayed away from them and not been in a position like that.
Old 02-04-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I kind of hope the extra 30 minutes will show part of the Letterman interview.
The Letterman clip was presented as it was in the theatrical release.

I don't get how he could get it cut out of the dvd, but it was allowed to be broadcast on the Discovery Channel.

If he had a problem with the clip for any reason, certainly he could have had them edit the tv version.

Very mystifying.
Old 02-04-06, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way too many commercials. I had 3 friends who were watching it home that gave up on watching it because there were too many commercials. 2 of them decided that they were just going to rent it and the other one stopped watching it because this girl he is trying to rent gave up on watching it because of all the commercials so she went to the videostore to rent it and told him to stop watching it. That was excessive but I finished watching it and yeah it was great but because of all the commercials, my mind got a little sidetracked on the internet. Its understandable with the timeframe being so short from when it was released on video.
Old 02-04-06, 09:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisKnudsen
the other one stopped watching it because this girl he is trying to rent gave up on watching it.
i would think if you rent a girl there are better things to do than watch a movie about bears.
Old 02-04-06, 09:12 AM

so that Letterman footage, that was the excised? cool.
Old 02-04-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At what point in the TV broadcast is the Letterman interview? Or what hour at least?

I may just tape that bit and watch the DVD when Netflix sends it.
Old 02-04-06, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
At what point in the TV broadcast is the Letterman interview? Or what hour at least?

I may just tape that bit and watch the DVD when Netflix sends it.
right at the beginning. maybe 5-10 minutes in. lasts about 30 sec.
Old 02-04-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks!
Old 02-04-06, 02:21 PM

Grizzly Man is a scam

First of all I do agree that the documentary was done well - but this man Treadwell - was a scam. That is not his real name, he is from NY not Australia and he was a drug addict that could not handle the real world. The ONLY thing he accomplished was getting an innocent girl killed. I live in alaska and have for many years and this man has done nothing for the bears - no one in Alaska including the natives, government or bears wanted him here. I am truly sorry for his death but he only brought that on himself, he pushed the respect boundry with wild animals. This movie completey pissed me off - he did not save any of the bears or wildlife at all. He was completely parinoid of everything and the saddest part was that his so called friends let him continue in this farce.
Old 02-04-06, 02:35 PM

I watched it because I was like "Great! I don't need to spend money to rent the DVD" but now I wished I had. The commercials were grossly excessive. Moreso than I can remember in recent history. Discovery REALLY padded it out to make as much money as possible and really ruined the viewing experience.

Does anyone have an e-mail for Discovery channel for complaints?
Old 02-04-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DoxLdy
First of all I do agree that the documentary was done well - but this man Treadwell - was a scam. That is not his real name, he is from NY not Australia and he was a drug addict that could not handle the real world. The ONLY thing he accomplished was getting an innocent girl killed. I live in alaska and have for many years and this man has done nothing for the bears - no one in Alaska including the natives, government or bears wanted him here. I am truly sorry for his death but he only brought that on himself, he pushed the respect boundry with wild animals. This movie completey pissed me off - he did not save any of the bears or wildlife at all. He was completely parinoid of everything and the saddest part was that his so called friends let him continue in this farce.
I watched the DVD and all these things that "pissed you off" are clearly presented in the documentry. That is why it is such a good and fascinating documentary, it does not romanticize his life and his interactions with the bears. Was the Discovery Channel version presented differently?
Old 02-04-06, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Talkin2Phil
I watched the DVD and all these things that "pissed you off" are clearly presented in the documentry. That is why it is such a good and fascinating documentary, it does not romanticize his life and his interactions with the bears. Was the Discovery Channel version presented differently?
No, the Discovery Channel version was not presented differently. It did not present him as being a savior or protector of the bears, though some of Treadwell's own speech did show that he thought of himself that way.
Old 02-04-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think some may not realize just how lowly regarded he is amongst a lot of people in Alaska. I have been repeatedly told far, far worse about him than that documentary showed. As to what the real truth is, I guess we will never really know. Well, past living with bears is not a really good idea.
Old 02-04-06, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
I watched it because I was like "Great! I don't need to spend money to rent the DVD" but now I wished I had. The commercials were grossly excessive. Moreso than I can remember in recent history. Discovery REALLY padded it out to make as much money as possible and really ruined the viewing experience.

Does anyone have an e-mail for Discovery channel for complaints?
i guess you haven't figured out what that >> button on the remote does yet.
Old 02-04-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I don't think this has been mentioned, but Discovery Channel showed the film in letterboxed OAR. The companion documentary was mostly 4:3, except for the clips from the film it showed. The extra Treadwell video clips in the companion documentary were the original 4:3 video, although a lot rougher than the video in the movie Grizzly Man, which was probably post processed for the film.

I don't know if the commercials were excessive. The film is 104 minutes long, and the companion documentary is 30 minutes. So that's 134 minutes over 3 hours of broadcast time.

For a network primetime show, it's about 44 minutes of show per hour. Multiply that by 3 and you get 132 minutes over 3 hours.

I think it seemed excessive because of how engrossing the film was, that any intrusion seems too much. PLus half the commercials seemed to be for the film iteself, about the encore presentation that night or the following night.

Also, while the amount of commercials wasn't more than you'd see on network primetime, it did seem like more than you'd normally get on Discovery.
Old 02-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched part of the documentary this morning. Very interesting. He did seem a bit of an odd guy.
Cute foxes too.
Old 02-05-06, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
What is everyone's theory on the guy?
IMO he was a loon. I also belive he was a closet homosexual, and this was Suicide by bear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.