DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Disney in talks to buy Pixar (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/453013-disney-talks-buy-pixar-merged.html)

BDB 01-24-06 04:55 PM

They have apparently already been working on it, or at least Disney have, I think it was going to get released with or without this deal.

Hokeyboy 01-24-06 05:10 PM

Lasseter in charge of ALL Disney animation? Chief Creative Officer?

There IS a God!! :banana:

This is good news for EVERYONE!

majorjoe23 01-24-06 06:19 PM

John Lassetter is becoming Chief Creative Officer for Disney, in charge of all animation. This means Disney films should get better, not that Pixar films will get worse.

nevermind 01-24-06 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
I believe Superboy has a remedy to that...

The CGI short & curlies look so REAL

DonnachaOne 01-24-06 06:31 PM

I hope for the best for everyone involved.

Will Pixar become their primary animation house?

kantonburg 01-24-06 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I wonder what ol' Walt would have said if SuperBoy invited him to -- oops, let's not go there. LMAO

Do you end every post with LMAO, LOL, ROTLMAO?

Corleone 01-24-06 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Disney wouldn't spend that 7400000000 if they didn't think they'd get 7400000002 back somewhere.

I am sure that is exactly what Time Warner was thinking.

So when does Jobs become the CEO of Disney?

ChiTownAbs, Inc 01-24-06 06:56 PM

Did you see Chicken Little? What a terrible movie. They *need* Pixar.

al_bundy 01-24-06 07:18 PM

steve jobs is the real winner here

he gets a ton of money and a disney board seat that he will use to push disney into issuing more content on the Itunes store.

Pixar is basically worthless. It's a bunch of artists that can leave at a whim to work for Dreamworks, someone else or to start their own company if disney pisses them off

Goldberg74 01-24-06 07:27 PM

:up: To John Lassater and his promotion.

I think that deal is a good one.

However, the Macrodobe deal sucked hard.

mikehunt 01-24-06 07:44 PM

and all this time I thought Pixar was owned by Disney

Terrell 01-24-06 07:44 PM

Right about now, George Lucas is probably thinking that selling Pixar to Jobs was the worst deal he ever made.

Sounds good to me. Though the problem at Disney was not the animators and artists. It was the micromanaging, basing decisions on markets and brands rather than quality. I still remember reading about one of their best projects in years, getting axed because of the ding-a-ling that oversaw WDFA. I want to say it was American Dog, but can't really remember.

Kittydreamer 01-24-06 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
I was so looking forward to when Pixar ended their relationship and went out on their own... now they are simply being BOUGHT OUT. Ugh.

The Adobe / Macromedia buyout impacted me personally and I hated that... now this one is going to drive me crazy as well.

Smart move for Adobe, brilliant move for Disney. The question is... is this going to be any good for the consumer? :(

FYI, the story is breaking news on CNN right now, no story yet.

:( No way! This sucks.

emanon 01-24-06 07:48 PM

This is nothing....I heard somewhere that Disney has offered to buy out kvrdave for $7.4B!!!!!

Sdallnct 01-24-06 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Yeah, Pixar films are great not because of but in spite of their Disney involvement. I guarantee you that Disney will royally screw up Pixar. The executives are already creaming at the thought of meddling with the company. And that's ok, because another creative startup will rise up to challenge Disney just as Pixar did. In the interim I hope that Pixar employees get a piece of the 7.4B before they jump ship to build the next mouse slayer.

So let me get this straight...

Some dude has a vision about making cartoons, creates a stupid looking rat, about doesn't make it, in debt up to his ears (pun intended) but manages to release a feature length cartoon based on an old kids book which vaults the company into a mega billion $$$ media/entertainmen empire. This empire buys another company that (god forbid) uses a computer to make movies and wasn't even around 15 years ago for 7.4 Billion (with a "B"). And your saying there will be another "start up" company to do the same thing right around the corner?

God I love America!!!

Terrell 01-24-06 07:57 PM

By the way, here's an interesting article from JHM that discusses why Jobs being a board member or possible CEO of Disney is not a good thing. It even discusses how Pixar became successful, in spite of Jobs.

Of course the article admits Jobs is a brilliant businessman, but it does make some compelling arguments as to why Jobs being in a controlling position at WD is not necessarily a good idea. Don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1812

AudioWizard 01-24-06 08:18 PM

And to think in DisneyWar Roy Disney told the company to buy it for 15 million and they thought it was a stupid idea.

Terrell 01-24-06 08:47 PM

I guarantee you that Disney will royally screw up Pixar. The executives are already creaming at the thought of meddling with the company. And that's ok, because another creative startup will rise up to challenge Disney just as Pixar did. In the interim I hope that Pixar employees get a piece of the 7.4B before they jump ship to build the next mouse slayer.
And you know this how exactly! -rolleyes-

Supermallet 01-24-06 09:24 PM

It is obvious that Disney wants to integrate Pixar into the company, by giving Jobs a seat on the board and making Lasseter head of animation. This isn't a case of Disney execs dying to meddle with Pixar, it's a case of them realizing that Pixar has consistently made better and higher grossing films than Disney ever since they started working together. It's worth it for them to pay 7.4 billion, because if the Pixar trend continues, they'll make back much more than that just by letting the Pixar people do exactly what they've been doing.

In other words, the sky is NOT falling.

RayChuang 01-24-06 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I guarantee you that Disney will royally screw up Pixar.

Disney will NOT cause problems at Pixar. Remember, new Disney CEO Robert Iger is far more a hands off CEO than Eisner, and as such will let each division head do what's best for the company. :up:

SteveGo 01-24-06 10:06 PM

With Jobs on the board at Disney, does this mean we could see Disney themed Apple products, like ipods or macs?

Inverse 01-24-06 10:11 PM

If Lasseter is still there in three years, I'll be surprised.

Despite all the rhetoric about "preserving what made the company great," usually when an innovative company is bought out by a much bigger entity the founders end up leaving. And I don't understand why Pixar would bother selling out to Disney unless one of the major shareholders wanted to cash out and do something else.

BigDan 01-24-06 10:43 PM

Were there any other major shareholders in Pixar that could push through such a thing except for Jobs (and his 50.6%)?

Supermallet 01-24-06 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SteveGo
With Jobs on the board at Disney, does this mean we could see Disney themed Apple products, like ipods or macs?

We could be seeing Disney-themed ipods, but I doubt Macs. I imagine much more synergy between Disney content and Apple in the future, though, especially any Pixar films.

Jackskeleton 01-25-06 12:22 AM

Think much more ipod content because of this merger. Disney can't screw up Pixar because Jobs has a lot of power now.