Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: 1 and Only Movie Figures and Collectibles Discussion

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The QMX have some very solid portrait sculpts as well. Both lines look good to me.
TBH, I didn't realize there were two companies putting these out now. I assumed Mirror Spock and Sulu were from the same company that put out Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

It feels like HT's quality has started to dip here and there, as the prices go up considerably.
ALL these ST figs seem like a great value in comparison.
The EXO-6 figures are a different line from the QMX ones, but the same person (Nanjin Tam) is behind both. The EXO-6 figures are better, but they aren’t going for the most popular characters first.

Basically the strategy was to wait on TOS and TNG so the figures from other shows had a better chance at selling instead of people only supporting TOS and TNG and the line dying. I’ll post a picture of my collection tomorrow.
Old 07-24-22, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
20 hours left. Really debating on jumping in. $600 is a lot but it looks like an incredible model. And with such a small edition size I bet I could make some money on a resell if I decide not to keep it. I've never participated in a crowdsourced item before. I'm just wondering where I would keep this thing. It's huge. Plus I wonder if I should just wait until they decide to release the 1701 - A or D. I already have a really nice Hallmark light up 1701 amongst several other models.

hmm...
Well...I decided to fund it. Let's see how this goes. Anticipated deliver in August 2023. The video did mention they do hopefully plan to do other ships with the refit/A perhaps next on the list and maybe Pikes Strange New Worlds enterprise too. Of course this is all the designer's thoughts and likely hasn't been given the go ahead from TOMY. I'm almost wondering if I should have funded two with the goal to sell the second one to pay off the others
Old 07-25-22, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Well...I decided to fund it....

If I'd had the money, I would've ordered two. I don't think anyone will lose money in the future selling these, unless they want to. The parent company seems to have a stellar rep, and the people involved passionate about the project.

If anything, I think there will be plenty of people kicking themselves for missing out or passing on it.
Old 07-25-22, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

If I'd had the money, I would've ordered two. I don't think anyone will lose money in the future selling these, unless they want to. The parent company seems to have a stellar rep, and the people involved passionate about the project.

If anything, I think there will be plenty of people kicking themselves for missing out or passing on it.

Just a couple hours in and it's already run into a slight hiccup. I've been refreshing the page to see how many people backed it and it got up to over 2500. Then the numbers started to go down. I kept refreshing it and they continued to go down where they are at just at 2274 right now. I kind of suspected then had confirmation when I got a text from chase saying they declined payment to TOMY INC because they thought it was fraud. Even though I replied that it was me they said the merchant has to try to put the charge through again. So I sent an email to TOMY so we'll see. I imagine it's something that could be straightened out pretty easily. I find it fascinating their # of backers counter is apparently so detailed to kick out the people who didn't pay.
Old 07-25-22, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was going to say something in the last post about this being their first stab at a crowd funded project, there are bound to be some kinks they'll learn from and work out for the subsequent projects.
Didn't expect to see anything this soon.

I thought it was odd that instead of getting an expected "we charged your card" notification, I got another email that is worded differently from the initial one but says basically the same thing- " we got your pledge, thanks for the support. Make sure to review your info so that the quantity ordered is correct. We'll send you another email when the project is fully funded".

This arrived hours after it supposedly ended.
Old 07-25-22, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So your card was charged successfully?

I didn't see the email until after I had already contacted them (went to my junk mail).
"It looks like the payment method you submitted for the Prestige Select 1/350 Scale Star Trek Enterprise Replica campaign has been declined.

We don’t want you to miss out on receiving your order, so if you would still like to contribute towards this campaign please click [link_pledge_retry]here to provide alternate credit card.

You must submit the new payment method within five days of campaign closure in order to confirm your order and receive your replica.

Thank you!"
It's in there just like that with no link in the brackets.
Old 07-25-22, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not the best pictures and the top shelf is kinda cluttered. Eventually I plan to organize by TOS, TNG, etc. when I have more full crews.

QMX:
Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Khan, and the Captain’s Chair.

EXO-6:
Mirror Spock, Judge Q, Picard, Data, Janeway, EMH.

I also have Mirror Sulu, Sisko, Tuvok, and the Enterprise E Captain’s Chair on pre-order.

Old 07-25-22, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, those all look great. I'd forgot they put out Khan too.

So your card was charged successfully?
No idea. They sent me a third email, and it's another rewording of the first two.

This rolled in 18 hours after the thing ended. Still no email specifically saying they processed a charge. whatever.
Old 07-26-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I like how there is an ewok photobombing that last pic.
Old 07-26-22, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I like how there is an ewok photobombing that last pic.
yep, I’ve got a bunch of Star Wars and other assorted figures too.
Old 07-29-22, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t really collect Marvel figures from Hot Toys, but I have to admit this Tobey Maguire Spider-Man is tempting.

Old 08-25-22, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Looks like it is time to start saving now. Sorry about the pic size.

Old 08-25-22, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The same company (EXO-6) is also doing versions of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from The Motion Picture. Those should actually be available to order soon.
Old 08-26-22, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
The same company (EXO-6) is also doing versions of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy from The Motion Picture. Those should actually be available to order soon.
Still going strong with 1/6? I switched over to 1/4 figures. Releases are few and far between but they look amazing on the shelf. I should take some new pictures of my new setup to share. Anybody got a good site to host pics?
Old 08-26-22, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Still going strong with 1/6? I switched over to 1/4 figures. Releases are few and far between but they look amazing on the shelf. I should take some new pictures of my new setup to share. Anybody got a good site to host pics?
Man, 1/4? What shelf do you have (seriously, where are the pics?)

You're treading on dangerous ground, though, soon it'll be 1:1.
Old 08-26-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I still prefer sixth scale figures personally. Just a lot more variety. Plus I already have a lot of figures in sixth scale.

That’s the large part of my collection. I have some more on other shelves I didn’t get into this picture. Some of the things are kind of hard to see. The top shelf with the prequel characters I have Maul in the back but he’s not visible from this angle.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Mike86; 08-26-22 at 02:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
fujishig (08-26-22), Spiderbite (08-26-22)
Old 08-26-22, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I was really really into Hot Toys a few years ago but I cut way way back. Then I took Star Lord out of the shelf when I was moving and his jacket literally disintegrated so it kind of swore me off buying more of their stuff, at least at the rate I was.

But that's a really cool collection! Keeping the dust off of it must be killer though.
Old 08-26-22, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! I put better pictures in spoiler tags. Also here are a few more.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Mike86; 08-26-22 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (08-26-22)
Old 08-26-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was really really into Hot Toys a few years ago but I cut way way back. Then I took Star Lord out of the shelf when I was moving and his jacket literally disintegrated so it kind of swore me off buying more of their stuff, at least at the rate I was.
A while back I was considering getting the Star Wars Bounty Hunters, but after a bit of research, I learned that the quality of these things is horrible, and that many of them start deteriorating within a couple of years.
Old 08-26-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A while back I was considering getting the Star Wars Bounty Hunters, but after a bit of research, I learned that the quality of these things is horrible, and that many of them start deteriorating within a couple of years.
It really depends. Climate/humidity plays a big factor if you get figures with pleather type outfits. All of mine are all good so far. Also those Bounty Hunters were by Sideshow Collectibles. Not as good of quality in general as Hot Toys.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (12-02-22)
Old 12-01-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received my Admiral Kirk from Star Trek: The Motion Picture by EXO-6 today. Pretty awesome figure even if it is very basic.

Old 12-02-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Is that the usual style of stand for displaying figures like that? I would think they could come up with something that didnt hold the figure by the balls.
Old 12-02-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Kirk’s looking a little queasy there. Is that the version of Kirk immediately after he ate some bad gas station sushi?
Old 12-02-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Is that the usual style of stand for displaying figures like that? I would think they could come up with something that didnt hold the figure by the balls.
Generally they do come with that type of stand, yeah. Sometimes instead there are ones that go around the waist.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Kirk’s looking a little queasy there. Is that the version of Kirk immediately after he ate some bad gas station sushi?
He’s supposed to have a more stoic/awestruck look like the Enterprise reveal scene.
Old 02-03-23, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.