Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"When a stranger calls" remake

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"When a stranger calls" remake

Old 01-14-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the trailer, that girl cannot act to save her life. She sounded so bored. "Stop...calling...me...you...sick...."

And from the trailer it seems that the
Spoiler:
kids might not get killed
Old 01-15-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I saw the trailer before Hostel yesterday. Both the girlfriend and I thought it looked like a terrible movie. I agree with conscience saying the girl couldn't act.

I may rent it, but I certainly will not be seeing it in the theater.
Old 01-15-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
Spoiler:
kids might not get killed
Of course not. This is a PG-13 horror film.

Spoiler:
Based on that, I doubt anyone gets killed.
Old 01-15-06, 08:09 PM

I saw the trailer when i saw hostle last night, looks like pg-13 mediocre remake trash.
Old 01-17-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When Pat O'Brien Calls
Old 01-17-06, 01:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Yet another film of 2006 you can add to the pile of "no press screenings."

Ouch!
Old 01-17-06, 05:23 PM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the house the girl is babysitting in, in the ads it seems every room is shot like they are in some multi-colored aquarium. It looks pretty, but just screams of the director needing to fill the screen with SOMETHING. It's also not very scary or realistic.
I was also thinking, aren't the days of taking 20 minates and needing the person to stay on the line to trace a call long over with? Add in cell phones and there's no suspense left in this senario (which they show you all of in the ads, anyway!)
Old 01-25-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
god the commercials are getting annoying
"this is the police, total urban legend time, the calls are coming from inside the house"
Old 01-25-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"The calls are coming from inside the house!"

Seriously, are they for real with that? Why not just throw in a kid who can see dead people for good measure? And make sure everyone knows that they're in a horror movie!
Old 01-26-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, the original is a pretty good movie. I liked the way the movie fleshed out the the killer and made him into more of a three dimensional character than the typical faceless slasher flick boogie man. Although I can also understand why that wouldn't play well for your typical horror fan who doesn't want all of that boring character development and story @#$% getting in the way of the thrills.

Never saw the sequel, although I know it was a made-for-TV. I've heard opinions that it was either great or terrible (and nothing in between), so I was never really sure if it was worth seeking out.

As for the remake, I could see the concept working if one doesn't expect too much, but it will probably suck like most contemporary big studio horror stuff.
Old 01-26-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
Actually, the original is a pretty good movie. I liked the way the movie fleshed out the the killer and made him into more of a three dimensional character than the typical faceless slasher flick boogie man. Although I can also understand why that wouldn't play well for your typical horror fan who doesn't want all of that boring character development and story @#$% getting in the way of the thrills.

Never saw the sequel, although I know it was a made-for-TV. I've heard opinions that it was either great or terrible (and nothing in between), so I was never really sure if it was worth seeking out.

As for the remake, I could see the concept working if one doesn't expect too much, but it will probably suck like most contemporary big studio horror stuff.
The sequel had almost and identical opening 20 minutes with one little twist. I saw the sequel first so i may have enjoyed it a bit more then i would have if i saw the original first. I didn't read my the opening thread that i typed around a month ago so i don't remember my first impression of the remake, but with every new trailer it looks to suck even more. I may netflix it when the times comes but I doubt i'll be seeing it in the theater.
Old 02-04-06, 03:07 AM

I saw it tonight. It was really scary. My girlfriend was clinging on to me almost ripping my arms off, because she was so scared. For PG-13 they did one hell of a scary movie. See it.

JT
Old 02-04-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one who noticed that the first good review is from someone with their myspace page in their sig?
Old 02-04-06, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Am I the only one who noticed that the first good review is from someone with their myspace page in their sig?
Is that a problem, Mr. Y2k Falcon.

JT
Old 02-04-06, 01:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The trailer of this movie looks awful. But i like simon west the director. The first tomb raider movie is fun, mindless film and con air was entertaining. I wonder why he hasn't made a film since tomb raider 1. bad trailer hopefully a better movie. but the pg 13 rating and bad trailer will make me wait til dvd.
Old 02-04-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Their also remaking Black Christmas.
Old 02-04-06, 02:55 PM

When I first saw this trailer I thought it was a farce, how many horror movie clichés can they manage in 30 seconds? I thought it was one of those AMC commercials where the cell phone goes off and ruins the movie.
Old 02-05-06, 01:05 PM

WOW!

That was 83 minutes of my life that I will NEVER get back. I knew it was going to be predictable but c'mon!
Old 02-05-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
And he's quite the lady's man too.

Sad that they had to remake this movie. Also Sad that they are remaking movies so quickly too. Wasn't it not even 20 years ago that the original came out?
Looks like there's no end in site for remakes of horror movies that I saw when I was a teen. What's next, a remake of the Original Poltergeist?
Old 02-06-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JTp8ntball
Is that a problem, Mr. Y2k Falcon.

JT
No. It was just an observation.

I haven't spoken to my son about this yet, but I'm assuming the screen could have been a still of a potted plant and he would have enjoyed the time "messing around" with his gf. But highschoolers are easy to please.

Can someone spoilerize a reply?

Did the kids live?

Did they flesh out anything besides the in-the-house scenario?

Did it just turn into another Jason/I know what you did... chase-the-girl-around-endlessly flick like the preview looked like? Heck, I think Home Alone did that genre best.

Did the girl give any lines that weren't either in monotone, or screamed?

Did the police do anything besides sound inept and ripe for a future lawsuit (and like an old-time radio announcer? - "And now a word from our sponsor: It's coming from inside the house.")

TIA.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 02-06-06 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
And he's quite the lady's man too.

Sad that they had to remake this movie. Also Sad that they are remaking movies so quickly too. Wasn't it not even 20 years ago that the original came out?
Looks like there's no end in site for remakes of horror movies that I saw when I was a teen. What's next, a remake of the Original Poltergeist?
It's been over 25 years, but close.

Spielberg probably wouldn't let a remake of Poltergeist happen. Maybe in thirty or forty years after his death it could happen though.
Old 02-06-06, 11:09 AM

#1 movie over the weekend with $22 million. You know what that means?

More low-budget remakes!! YAY!!!!
Old 02-06-06, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Worst film of 2006. I am calling it. It was that bad. Tedious, incredibly vanilla. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Old 02-06-06, 11:59 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, just got back from this. The good is that it's very atmospheric and the setting/house lends itself to the movie very well. The bad is that the script is just plain horrible. It's loaded with moments where I couldn't help but to laugh.

Spoiler:
First, the family has a live-in maid, who is there for the night anyway... yet she couldn't be bothered to babysit the kids herself? Especially considering almost the whole movie they are in bed sleeping with the flu. Yet she takes time to feed the birds?

And with both of your children sick, is that really the best time to go out for a night on the town and leave them in the charge of a 16-year old babysitter? Especially one that can't figure out how to turn on a tv?

Then there's the subplot with the babysitter's best friend, and how she just shows up at this house in the middle of nowhere. How did she even find the place? And how did she get in? The place has a huge gate in front and a top-notch alarm system, yet a high school girl manages to get inside. Basically to startle the heroine and provide five minutes of filler to pad out the story. Yeah, they explain that the garage door was open, but they just kind of ignore the hows and whys of that. We're supposed to buy that this girl gets inside the house but somehow be shocked when the killer does the same later on in the movie.

When that same friend leaves the house, she's suddenly terrified of the place, even though she has no nowledge that she is in a horror movie and that there is a threat present.

I could go on, but nah. The sad thing is there are some decent potentially suspenseful moments in there, but they are generally ruined by something stupid happening the next frame.
Old 02-07-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DRG... The movie is literally bursting with moments like that. Completely ridiculous.

Just the fact that the plot is hinged upon the fact that she was grounded (therby being forced to babysit) because she went over her cell phone minutes talking to her boyfriend who kissed her best friend.

Huh? Was this movie written by a 13 year old? Probably...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.