Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Psycho (1960)

Old 12-28-05, 02:14 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Psycho (1960)

What do you think about this movie? Only a few movies give this really weird feeling to me of being almost infinite in their coolness in a strange way from a combination of pacing, b&w cinematography, atmosphere, tonality, to a sole actor, Anthony Perkins. As Norman Bates, he is the coolest and most eerily badass character ever from his warm friendliness or the opposite, such as his unbelievably sinister eyes standing near the pond (shot so well you barely see his pupils!) Hitchcock was tired of his big-budget star studded films and wanted to "experiment with the more efficient, sparser style of television filmmaking", and hired lesser known actors proving their ability to the older guys. Bravo to Hitchcock for investing in his tv-crew from Hitchcock Presents and using it to make this film proving they're as adept at film as tv!
Old 12-28-05, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a classic. I think if you miss this one early in life it's ruined though. I talked with a kid of 17 who had never seen it, but wanted to. I asked him if he knew anything about it. and he said....

Not much just that...
Spoiler:
His Mother is dead, and he dresses like her.

and
Spoiler:
that they kill off the main charachter half way in to the movie.

plus at this point the shower scene has been imitated so many times it loses some of the punch.

don't get me wrong, I love Hitchcock, and I think is one of the great ones. Just wish that i could forget everything I ever knew about it, so I could see it again for the first time everytime.
Old 12-28-05, 05:00 AM
En vacance

I wish too, i knew both too before seeing the movie from the unbelievably careless attitude of showing it over and over in media much like Citizen Kane's
Spoiler:
Rosebud

I can only imagine how it must of felt to see this in theater back in 1960 as Hitchcock intended for no one to be let in theaters when the movie started..
Old 12-28-05, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's the best.
Old 12-28-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The movie is still great even after seeing it a half million times.
Old 12-29-05, 01:32 AM

i heard the 2nd one is good. never seen it though.
Old 12-29-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw it years ago only knowing the first twist, but not the second(although I always knew something was strange about Norman). Still, it's a movie I never get tired of watching. Arguably the greatest horror film of all-time.

And the sequel ain't half bad either.
Old 12-29-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
It's a classic. I think if you miss this one early in life it's ruined though. I talked with a kid of 17 who had never seen it, but wanted to. I asked him if he knew anything about it. and he said....

Not much just that...
Spoiler:
His Mother is dead, and he dresses like her.

and
Spoiler:
that they kill off the main charachter half way in to the movie.

plus at this point the shower scene has been imitated so many times it loses some of the punch.

don't get me wrong, I love Hitchcock, and I think is one of the great ones. Just wish that i could forget everything I ever knew about it, so I could see it again for the first time everytime.
I was about the same age when I saw it for the first time, and I knew both of those things going in, although in my mind
Spoiler:
Norman Bates is the main character and Janet Leigh was expendable from the beginning
Even though I knew
Spoiler:
Norman's mother was dead and that Norman dressed like her
, I was still tricked when I heard
Spoiler:
both Norman and his mother taking to each other
everything I assumed was thown out the window at that point.
Old 12-30-05, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But Janet Leigh was how the movie was advertised to people...not as much to Anthony Perkins.

I'd just love to meet someone who had no idea about it....which is very hard since the movie has been mimicked so many times now. The music alone lets you know the worst is at hand.
Old 12-30-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But Janet Leigh was how the movie was advertised to people...not as much to Anthony Perkins.

I'd just love to meet someone who had no idea about it....which is very hard since the movie has been mimicked so many times now. The music alone lets you know the worst is at hand.
When i saw it for the first time (this was a few months before the 98 remake came out) i knew about the shower scene (but not who), and had no idea about the biggie twist (hell i was 13 when i first saw it). great great movie, i need to re buy for the anamorphic transfer, but don't really want to fork over 120 bucks for the big universal box.
Old 12-30-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
great great movie, i need to re buy for the anamorphic transfer, but don't really want to fork over 120 bucks for the big universal box.
120 bucks?! I paid less than half of that when I bought the box set. Look around online and there's no reason you'll need to shell out more than 75 tops.

And if that's still too much, I'm pretty sure Universal will be releasing each movie individually soon.
Old 12-30-05, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
good point, I didn't realize that. I guess that's what I get for not seeing the film until the mid '90s
Old 12-30-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
good point, I didn't realize that. I guess that's what I get for not seeing the film until the mid '90s
if you watch the trailer thats on the dvd,
Spoiler:
the shower scene shot was of Vera Miles, not Janet Leigh
Old 12-30-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The movie is still great even after seeing it a half million times.
Yup - I never, ever, get sick of watching this film. It's excellent.