Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Casanova

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Casanova

Saw a quick clip for this somewhere and hadn't heard about it. Looked her up online and she seems to be in one of those weird release patterns. I have been unable to find any information on a wide release. There are a couple of shows in the area this week, but they it disappears and I can't find when or if it is going to come out again.

Anybody have any info? From what I've seen I think it'll be a really good film - perhaps similiar in tone to Shakespear in Love.
Old 12-27-05, 11:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Anybody have any info? From what I've seen I think it'll be a really good film - perhaps similiar in tone to Shakespear in Love.
It's not. It's more of a farce. A poor one too. To see Ledger go from BROKEBACK to this is criminal.
Old 12-27-05, 11:19 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott shelton
It's not. It's more of a farce. A poor one too. To see Ledger go from BROKEBACK to this is criminal.
...blame it on the Casanova...
Old 12-27-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton

Funny, I'd think anything after Brokeback would be a step up!
Old 12-27-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess he needed to get his straight cred back.
Old 12-27-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All I know is that Sienna Miller gave me the HOT! when she was on "Keen Eddie" a few years ago.
Old 12-27-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
All I know is that Sienna Miller gave me the HOT! when she was on "Keen Eddie" a few years ago.
She's the reason I would see the film.
Old 12-28-05, 09:07 AM
Banned

I bet the only way he did BROKEBACK was if this movie would open in the same year after BROKEBACK.
Old 12-28-05, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the trailer for this before Memoirs Of A Geisha. It looks fun. I like Heath Ledger a lot so I'll probably check it out. It reminds me of Don Juan DeMarco with Johnny Depp, a really funny flick.
Old 12-28-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I remember the preview saying: "Walt Disney Pictures Presents"... but then hearing the other day that this is rated R. Is Disney finally releaseing an R flick under its own banner, or did I just hear it wrong?
Old 12-28-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looks like it's being released under the Touchstone Pictures label.
Old 01-02-06, 11:37 PM

The funny thing is they are using the tag line "The most original film since Shakespear in Love." I'll give you all a second to think about this......Casanova was born over 250 years ago. A story that is 250 years old is not original.
Old 01-07-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I suspect direct Lasse Hallstrom had a great time directing this film, it had a warm and whimsical tone throughout its running time, and produced some laughs along the way from all the mistaken identities being tossed about as Casanova has to find himself a wife in order to "go legit" in the eyes of the law, and as irony would have it, he finds himself betrothed to the wrong woman after coming across the woman who truly challenges him, mind body and soul, and what ensues in order to set things right is light and fun for the most part.

The cast is uniformily good, from the leads (Ledger, and Miller) to the supporting (Olin, Irons and others). Loved the Venetian backdrop too.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.