Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
yes the trailer is before 'The Golden Compass' - it looks great (especially in DLP) and the actress playing Lucy, is obviousily looking older.
With the longer than expected time between the films, I was expecting all the kids to have changed a lot, but really only the little one you mentioned, the actress who plays Lucy, seems to have really changed noticeably.

Does anyone know how many they plan to make.

It's been a long while since I've read the books, so I can't remember how many of them include Peter, Susan, Lucy, and Edmund but I wonder how fans will react when they realize they have to adapt to entirely new characters.

LOTR didn't have that problem. It will be sad for me when the kids go, but I've know the story so it won't be awful. However, so many of the people who are now seeing the films probably didn't grow up with the books like I did and might not like the drastic change.

I never watched a Harry Potter book, but from clips and all that I saw, I think the primary characters stayed the same throughout as well.

I certainly hope the adapt every book. And it's clearly a cash cow, so they might want to take their cues from Potter and LOTR and try and have a faster schedule. Unless the plan is definately not to make all the books into movies and find a way to combine stories and move more quickly to "The Last Battle."

Edit: Just looked through my books and all 4 Pevensie children show up in the last movie (if the make the last movie). I don't think there is any way that these 4 actors can do that, so it will have to be 4 new actors. That will be strange.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-10-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-10-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Does anyone know how many they plan to make.

It's been a long while since I've read the books, so I can't remember how many of them include Peter, Susan, Lucy, and Edmund but I wonder how fans will react when they realize they have to adapt to entirely new characters.
I'm sure as long as they make money, they will make them all. Here's the breakdown of characters:

Chronicles of Narnia - Peter, Susan, Lucy & Edmund
Prince Caspian - Peter, Susan, Lucy & Edmund
Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Lucy, Edmund & Eustice
The Silver Chair - Eustice & Jill
The Horse and his Boy - Bree & Shasta
The Magician's Nephew - Polly & Digory
The Final Battle - Eustice & Jill
Old 12-10-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sure as long as they make money, they will make them all. Here's the breakdown of characters:

Chronicles of Narnia - Peter, Susan, Lucy & Edmund
Prince Caspian - Peter, Susan, Lucy & Edmund
Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Lucy, Edmund & Eustice
The Silver Chair - Eustice & Jill
The Horse and his Boy - Bree & Shasta
The Magician's Nephew - Polly & Digory
The Final Battle - Eustice & Jill
It's been forever since I've read Dawn Treader, but do Peter and Susan appear at all? Because they are listed in the cast for the film.

And, as I edited above about when you were posting, all 4 do show up in the Last Battle. Even if they can get to the beginning of shooting of that film in, say, 5 years, I don't see how they can use the same kids. I hope they find a way.

I also can't wait for the movies...all of them. These were MY books growing up, like many kids now have Harry Potter or like some of my peers preferred LOTR. Bridge to Terabithia was my second favorite, so I feel lucky that I'm getting to see these as films.

I don't like the comparisons to the LOTR films. Those were far more serious, fantasy films. I wouldn't diminish the incredible job done by everyone involved in the LOTR, but especially not having read the books at all since I was around 11, I was often confused and felt like I needed a notebook to keep track of who was who and what was going on. The Narnia books are more "fun" to watch. More light-hearted and I think that's captured in the way it's being filmed. The LOTR was shot perfectly for the kind of material it was and I feel the same about the Narnia films, based on 1 movie and the trailer for the 2nd film.
Old 12-11-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great trailer! I got way too excited watching it, I may have even clapped at points. I guess they can count me in for the opening weekend.
Old 12-14-07, 03:59 PM

ya, i agree. i dont like when the narnia and LOTR are compared either. i think they are pretty different actually.

i love seeing these movies come to life on the big screen.
Old 12-17-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Crud, I went to Golden Compass on the second weekend and no Prince Caspian. They had Inkheart and Spiderwick.
Old 12-17-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't like the comparisons to the LOTR films.
For better or for worse, the LOTR trilogy will be used as comparison for any serious and/or epic fantasy film for the next decade, at least.
Old 12-18-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice. I'm there.
Old 12-18-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It looked better than the first one was, but I'm still unsure of it. I'll wait for some reviews before I decide to see it or not. I hope the CG work is better than last time.
Old 12-18-07, 12:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm torn. I think this trailer looks great, but I hated the first movie. I thought Tilda Swinton was phenomenal but hated almost everything else. Yet this one looks to have more going on, and just to be more interesting altogether.
Old 12-18-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
For what it's worth, Susan does not show up in the "Last Battle" which is a controversial plot point among many Narnia fans. She apparently doesn't believe in Narnia any longer, or for those who like allegory, she doesn't believe in God any longer.
Old 12-18-07, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
It's been forever since I've read Dawn Treader, but do Peter and Susan appear at all? Because they are listed in the cast for the film.

And, as I edited above about when you were posting, all 4 do show up in the Last Battle. Even if they can get to the beginning of shooting of that film in, say, 5 years, I don't see how they can use the same kids. I hope they find a way.

I also can't wait for the movies...all of them. These were MY books growing up, like many kids now have Harry Potter or like some of my peers preferred LOTR. Bridge to Terabithia was my second favorite, so I feel lucky that I'm getting to see these as films.

I don't like the comparisons to the LOTR films. Those were far more serious, fantasy films. I wouldn't diminish the incredible job done by everyone involved in the LOTR, but especially not having read the books at all since I was around 11, I was often confused and felt like I needed a notebook to keep track of who was who and what was going on. The Narnia books are more "fun" to watch. More light-hearted and I think that's captured in the way it's being filmed. The LOTR was shot perfectly for the kind of material it was and I feel the same about the Narnia films, based on 1 movie and the trailer for the 2nd film.
they might have to shoot this out of sequence and actually complete 'The Last Battle' before the other books/films.
Old 12-18-07, 01:14 PM

I never watched a Harry Potter book, but from clips and all that I saw, I think the primary characters stayed the same throughout as well.
the real dramatic change is watching the actor who plays Neville Longbottom (Matthew Lewis) age.
Old 12-18-07, 06:35 PM

lucy looks so much older in this movie, so im anxious to see if her mannerisms and attitude also changes in this film. its good that they kept the same characters in the second film though. when do you think the next teaser will drop?
Old 12-18-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
they might have to shoot this out of sequence and actually complete 'The Last Battle' before the other books/films.
I genuinely hope that it isn't too difficult to get "the Last Battle scenes" done that involve Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and Peter but it does seem like it would be a very difficult thing to do. How many years did they average between Potter films? I wonder if they will be able to shoot 2 films at the same time like Pirates. The fact that children are so heavily involved might not make that possible.

It would be a strange way to end this series to walk into a theater in 5 years or so and see the conclusion of the films with 4 completely different actors.

I wish this didn't have to be released in May. It's a great birthday present (for a horrible age), but I'm pretty sure the film would be ready much sooner and with the delays, I wish they'd have put it out earlier. I imagine the choice of May, in the world of film releases, is a purely economical one.
Old 12-28-07, 03:31 PM

i completely agree with using the same characters. i hope the continue to use the same actors so there is some sort of continuity in the films. i think the harry potter films were great b/c of the same casting. this trailer looks much darker and i think ben barnes is going to do a wonderful job in the movie!
Old 12-29-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if they would shoot the Last Battle after Dawn Treader and shelve it for release later. Unfortunately, by the time that release would come about the CGI would look seriously dated since they aren't top notch to begin with.
Old 01-04-08, 01:35 PM

I agree. I just finished Caspian and it is going to have to be creative to stretch and make an interesting enough 90 minute film. There is a cool battle in the end that will be great on screen though, assuming
Spoiler:
the actor who plays Peter gets some better sword training.

that battle scene at the end of the trailer stood out to me as well! i really liked it and i love the darker feel to the film. IMO i think that the characters should stay the same, i think that was alot of the magic in harry potter, but who knows...im just excited!
Old 01-07-08, 02:03 PM

ya i dont suppose the would film it and shelve it for that reason alone..everything would look noticeably aged. i know the first trailer just came out, but when do you think they will drop the second one??
Old 01-07-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if they would shoot the Last Battle after Dawn Treader and shelve it for release later. Unfortunately, by the time that release would come about the CGI would look seriously dated since they aren't top notch to begin with.
Why would they even bother doing the CGI then? I'm sure a bigger concern would be the cost of filming it and just sitting on it.
Old 02-29-08, 12:17 PM

Though I would share this MSN Movies review. They really broke down the movie and it looks like it's going to be just as good as we have all been anticipating!
Old 02-29-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Drop
Why would they even bother doing the CGI then?
Good point. I guess they could film all the green screen stuff with the actors and let it sit.
Old 02-29-08, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
I'm looking forward to this, but the next two are the ones I'm really looking forward to- Dawn Treader and the Silver Chair. I thought the BBC versions of those two were very good as well.
Old 03-05-08, 02:08 PM

Really JeremyM?? I have heard alot about the BBC series. I need to see if I can find clips on YouTube or something.

Ya, at first LWW was my favorite book and I loved the movie then I just finished reading Prince Caspian and it's awesome, so it might be my new favorite. I think I just get anxious to see to the books come to life on the big screen!
Old 03-05-08, 02:31 PM

the review link isn't working

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.