Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (1998) and King Kong (2005)-a discussion of the two

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla (1998) and King Kong (2005)-a discussion of the two

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
If that Lizard was GODZILLA and not...just a lizard, it woulda been tons better than what it was. Still not great, but at least there would've been an honest attempt to pay respect to the Original.
It would have been tons more appealing to Godzilla fans. But I'd argue that the novelty of seeing Godzilla rendered using high-end FX would not in itself have made a good movie.

What would have made it a better movie is to recognize the original Godzilla movies as nuclear parables, and to give the movie some kind of purpose along the same line. If it had been made after 2001, Godzilla probably would have made a better terrorism analogy than "War of the Worlds."

But then again, if Emmerich had made it, it would have been as ham-handed as "Day After Tomorrow."

Hell, Godzilla was ALWAYS about Nuclear Energy/The A-bomb. I'll admit they at least kept that aspect in G98.
Sort of. It gave him a radioactive origin. At least they resisted the pandemic urge to remake all radioactive paranoid fantasies of the 50s and 60s as modern genetic engineering paranoid fantasies.

Sure, but you can still fudge it a bit with "popcorn movies".

See, I find a bad action-blockbuster to be just as bad as a ham-handed tear-jerker drama, or one of those comedies that forgets to have jokes. To view things otherwise is to rob the good drama entries of the acclaim they've earned, and to buffer some of the worst offenders in bloated, awful filmmaking from their deserved criticism.

There are popcorn flicks that are exhilarating, original, witty, and feature characters who we actually care about. And then there are some that are boring, and those that make you wonder how the people who made it could possibly be so dumb, and how they could possibly believe their audience was so dumb. If you go to this kind of movie, and your response is "I saw $150 million in special effects, so i guess I had fun." you don't see the difference between "Pluto Nash" and "Die Hard."

You've gotta draw a distinction, for example, between "Spider-Man" and "Daredevil," or between "Speed 2" and "Pirates of the Caribbean." And once you make that distinction, you might as well acknowledge that, in genre films, there are good films and bad films.