Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here ever seen rare cuts of films?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Has anyone here ever seen rare cuts of films?

Old 11-23-05, 05:32 PM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 44
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone here ever seen rare cuts of films?

A few nights ago I had seen the last few minutes of a p&s version of Fistful of Dynamite on tv with the infamous final flashback. It was the English language version and the music during the flashback was different. When Juan said "What about me?" and the words "Duck You Sucker" appeared instead of Fistful of Dynamite I almost kicked my cat through the tv! I wish I had tuned in earlier

The two movies I'd love to see in their extended glory are Once Upon a Time in America(With the 50 minutes of cut footage that Leone felt was necessary) and Last Tango in Paris. Does anyone know much about the cut footage from these films?
Old 11-23-05, 06:03 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman II International Cut, which pretty much restores what Donner footage it can. I wish there was a real Donner cut of that movie.
Old 11-23-05, 08:31 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,659
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you've been to any test screening, you've probably seen something that won't be in the final release. (ie. Deep Blue Sea)
Old 11-23-05, 09:49 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
If you've been to any test screening, you've probably seen something that won't be in the final release.
Indeed. I've seen a workprint of Marci X!

DJ
Old 11-23-05, 11:25 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,437
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Akira on SBS (Australian TV station) once and it had some scenes that I didn't see in my limited edition tin box.
Old 11-24-05, 02:07 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 2,601
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way back when, I saw the original "director's cut" of Blade Runner when they first started showing it at the Nuart. It was all the interest in this cut that I think gave Scott the impetus to release the official director's cut later.
Old 11-24-05, 02:18 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sitting on a beach, earning 20%
Posts: 9,917
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a much less prestigious level... I've see the extended cut of Jersey Girl, which is a much better film than what was released to theaters. The theatrical cut chops out most of the Jennifer Lopez footage... which is most of the opening act. Other scenes here and there are different in tone and content; some for the better, others for the worse (I thought it was bad that Ollie's supposed to be so good at selling an idea, but the scene where he does so is a montage to music; the actual speech, in the extended cut, isn't that great) While I was largely indifferent to the theatrical cut, the extended version was a meaningful tearjerker that could have become a favourite.
Old 11-24-05, 06:25 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,638
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by devilshalo
If you've been to any test screening, you've probably seen something that won't be in the final release. (ie. Deep Blue Sea)
Was the original version of Fatal Attraction ever made available on video or shown on tv? The one where instead of becoming a stalker Glen Close gets even with Michael Douglas for dumping her by commiting suicide in such a way that it frames him for her murder. He's arrested and put on trial. Anne Archer searches for evidence to clear him. Supposedly test audiences hated it and they reshot the second half of the movie. Always wanted to see it.
Old 11-24-05, 12:14 PM
  #9  
Moderator
 
Geofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: The Village Green
Posts: 39,217
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
If you've been to any test screening, you've probably seen something that won't be in the final release. (ie. Deep Blue Sea)
Yup - Face/Off and Mars Attacks! here.
Old 11-24-05, 12:34 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a copy of the original cut of Payback. Veeeeeeeerrrrrry different movie. I still don't know which one I prefer.
Old 11-24-05, 01:14 PM
  #11  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I have a copy of the original cut of Payback. Veeeeeeeerrrrrry different movie. I still don't know which one I prefer.
While the two cuts are different, I agree with you. They both work.

54 is the only one that comes to mind for me. The original version had a lot more integrity and made sense.

I also caught an early (maybe three weeks?) screening of FACE/OFF where Travolta doesn't bring home the kid at the end. I was floored when I caught it again, and they reshot a new ending so quickly.
Old 11-24-05, 01:44 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
Was the original version of Fatal Attraction ever made available on video or shown on tv? The one where instead of becoming a stalker Glen Close gets even with Michael Douglas for dumping her by commiting suicide in such a way that it frames him for her murder. He's arrested and put on trial. Anne Archer searches for evidence to clear him. Supposedly test audiences hated it and they reshot the second half of the movie. Always wanted to see it.
The alternate ending was put on the VHS tape years ago. It's not the second half of the movie, it's only like 10 minutes or so.
Old 11-24-05, 06:44 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: the 870
Posts: 21,264
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Original Cuts of Star Wars IV V and VI


Old 11-25-05, 12:37 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 9,446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
The Original Cuts of Star Wars IV V and VI


I heard that, (and this is just a rumor)
Spoiler:
Han Shot First


Can you confirm or deny?
Old 11-25-05, 01:33 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
I also caught an early (maybe three weeks?) screening of FACE/OFF where Travolta doesn't bring home the kid at the end. I was floored when I caught it again, and they reshot a new ending so quickly.
They may not have done a reshoot after the screening you saw, they may have originally shot both and were just testing audience reaction to each.

DJ
Old 11-25-05, 03:28 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell
They may not have done a reshoot after the screening you saw, they may have originally shot both and were just testing audience reaction to each.

DJ
I read the theatrical ending was shot after the principal photography. I think they spent $10 million on it since they had to call everybody back and paid the cast a higher rate since it wasn't part of their contract anymore.
Old 11-26-05, 06:44 PM
  #17  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too many to list. in my line of work, i see (on average) 3 or 4 versions of nearly every mainstream release. one of the funniest was the end of The Village featuring M. Night as a truck driver picking up BDH and driving away with "99 Problems" blasting on his radio. (although, this was filmed, it was never intended as the real ending. it was a decoy.)
Old 11-28-05, 09:43 AM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,511
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a workprint VHS copy of John Woo's Hard Target - which is quite amazing, too bad the image is pretty bad. Universal really needs to give Woo props and restore this film to all it's unrated glory for a DVD special edition.
Old 11-28-05, 11:47 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen the edited King Kong? This has gotten a lot of press of scenes being cut out of it and the process that people have taken to reassemble the film. I'd like to see the edited version to see exactly what was cut.
Old 11-28-05, 12:05 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
too many to list. in my line of work, i see (on average) 3 or 4 versions of nearly every mainstream release. one of the funniest was the end of The Village featuring M. Night as a truck driver picking up BDH and driving away with "99 Problems" blasting on his radio. (although, this was filmed, it was never intended as the real ending. it was a decoy.)
I've heard about that ending. I never believed Night would be insane enough to film that though. That would've been even worse than the ending actually used. Why even bother with the decoy though?
Old 11-28-05, 12:49 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,341
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman II back in the 80s when I saw it in Australia on TV. Had some of the missing footage in it (one scene I remember was seeing that kid riding away on a horse and get killed by the police car siren)
Old 11-28-05, 01:34 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,922
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Rough Cut of U2's Rattle and Hum, which is completely different than the final product.
Old 11-28-05, 05:57 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doughboy
I've heard about that ending. I never believed Night would be insane enough to film that though. That would've been even worse than the ending actually used. Why even bother with the decoy though?
He shot the decoy ending for when the film held it's initial test screenings so that the people who saw them wouldn't go online and "spoil" the ending.
Old 11-28-05, 06:11 PM
  #24  
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,730
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I have a Rough Cut of U2's Rattle and Hum, which is completely different than the final product.

How so?
Old 11-28-05, 06:47 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
He shot the decoy ending for when the film held it's initial test screenings so that the people who saw them wouldn't go online and "spoil" the ending.
That doesn't make sense. The rumored decoy ending had the same twist as the one in the film. Granted, the execution was totally different, but the concept was the same. So test screening audiences could still spoil the movie.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.