Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Game

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-05, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Did someone say SE?
Less talk, more uploading!
Old 11-15-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
While the ending was a little too 'lucky', I enjoyed this movie a lot. After reading this thread, I'll have to watch it later today again.
Old 11-23-05, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Less talk, more uploading!
Your wish is my command. It's finally done!
Old 03-25-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this last night.

I can see them firing blanks at the house to scare Michael Douglass, but to go so far as to rig practically the entire building AND his car with squibs to inflict "bullet damage" is a little preposterous.
Old 09-18-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Game

I rewatched this again because it's just such an awesome movie and I'm a big Mikey D/Sean P fanboy. I got to the point several viewings ago where I decide to just suspend all critical thinking and strap myself in and enjoy the ride.

My take after this viewing was...

Spoiler:
...after the reveal, if I were NVO I would have killed every mofo in the room. The expression with friends like these...comes to mind. The guy is going to need serious psychotherapy for months if not years to recover from this "game" that all of his family and "friends" had put him through. Seemingly EVERYONE that he had interacted with was "in on it", even the long-time housekeeper. It does seem a bit preposterous that so many people would have agreed to torture this guy, whatever kind of prick he might have been to them. I would have fired everyone who was in my employ on the spot, the housekeeper, the lawyer, etc. on the spot. I know, too much critical thinking.

But, I'll gladly rewatch again many more times in the future.

Noted that there were two SOA cast members, Chibbs (cab driver who ditched it) and Bobby E (PI who tailed him).

I "borrowed" this analysis from another forum. "The film shows suffering leading to emotional catharsis. That's also a description of every thriller ever made, or at least the ones that worry about character arcs. But The Game's omniscient corporation isn't set up as anything for the viewer to emulate (and no one could emulate it, even if they tried). Rather, it's depicted as God-like, in pretty much every sense of that word."

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-18-16 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I rewatched this again because it's just such an awesome movie and I'm a big Mikey D/Sean P fanboy. I got to the point several viewings ago where I decide to just suspend all critical thinking and strap myself in and enjoy the ride.

My take after this viewing was...

...after the reveal, if I were NVO I would have killed every mofo in the room. The expression with friends like these...comes to mind. The guy is going to need serious psychotherapy for months if not years to recover from this "game" that all of his family and "friends" had put him through. Seemingly EVERYONE that he had interacted with was "in on it", even the long-time housekeeper. It does seem a bit preposterous that so many people would have agreed to torture this guy, whatever kind of prick he might have been to them. I would have fired everyone who was in my employ on the spot, the housekeeper, the lawyer, etc. on the spot. I know, too much critical thinking.
I'm removing the spoilers, because I think this film is old enough to discuss without them.

One thing you miss is that at the end, the main character has supposedly experienced a cathartic event based on a scenario specifically tailored to his psychological profile. He's not mad at all, and he should be the opposite of traumatized. Whether or not you find this believable is another thing, but this is what the film is attempting to convey.

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I "borrowed" this analysis from another forum. "The film shows suffering leading to emotional catharsis. That's also a description of every thriller ever made, or at least the ones that worry about character arcs. But The Game's omniscient corporation isn't set up as anything for the viewer to emulate (and no one could emulate it, even if they tried). Rather, it's depicted as God-like, in pretty much every sense of that word."
It's not just omniscient, but also omnipotent. As you point out, they managed to get nearly everyone in his life to participate in "the game" and can guess his every move, as well as deal with things like police being called on them.
Old 09-21-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's face it, the movie portrays one major mind-fu €k onto it's main character.