Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 15 Best Horror Movies of All Time...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bullz-eye.com/mguide/feat...ror_movies.htm

Also check out the section with the best and worst sequals of all time.
Old 10-26-05, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read it. Thought it was a good list. About what I would come up with, as a mainstream cinema fan that doesn't focus on the horror genre.

Overall, many of the films listed were good films, not just good horror films - especially Psycho, Alien, Jaws...
Old 10-26-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good list. I would've thrown Carpenter's The Thing in there somewhere.
Old 10-26-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
The Ring? Replace that with Rosemary's Baby and you have a pretty good list.
Old 10-26-05, 11:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
The Ring? Replace that with Rosemary's Baby and you have a pretty good list.
Agreed.

In my limited interaction with teenagers, they would disagree. The film is their HALLOWEEN.
Old 10-26-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I definitely think not enough time has passed to call The Ring or Blair Witch great horror movies. The sequels to both were really terrible and showed how bad the premises were.
Old 10-26-05, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty good list, but Halloween absolutely should be above The Ring on any greatest horror films list. I also wouldn't include Alien, as great as it is, I don't consider it horror.
Old 10-26-05, 12:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
pretty standard predictable list (sans The Ring) here's my list

15. Audition
14. May
13. The Brood
12. House of Wax (original)
11. Cat People (original)
10. Carnival of Souls
9. Nosferatu
8. I Walked with A Zombie
7. Night of the Living Dead
6. Henry: Portrait of a Seriel Killer
5. The Beyond
4. The Howling
3. Suspiria
2. The Evil Dead
1. ReAnimator
Old 10-26-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here's my list

15.To Wong Foo
14. Dumb and Dumberer
13. Howard the Duck
12. Fair Game
11. Look Whos Talking Now
10. Father's Day
9. Turbo- Power Rangers Movie
8. Psycho(The new one)
7. The Hulk
6. Mortal Kombat Annihalition
5. Street Fighter
4. Deuce Bigalow 2
3. Jason Goes to Space
2. The Ring Too

and the number 1
1.Battlefield Earth
Old 10-26-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a bad list - but I think I prefer the original Night of the Living Dead instead of Dawn of the Dead. I mean, Romero had literally nothing when he made it - except a very good script and directing skill, that is.
Old 10-26-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I don't get how these guys boast that their list is "what might be the most atypical list of horror movies you’ll find". It looks like the list from someone who's only exposure to horror is what can be found at a Blockbuster video (and one with a crappy horror selection at that). Definately too early to put "The Ring" (and I thought the original was better anyway) and "Blair Witch Project" (which is already not aging well) there. And "Friday the 13th"? Most successful, sure. But one of the 15 greatest horror movies of all time? I don't think the people that made F13th would even think that. I think any "greatest horror" list needs some Universal horror -- personally, I think "Bride of Frankenstein" would be near the top of any list of mine. You need a good ghost story, like "The Haunting". Also some Italian horror, like "Suspiria". Still, lists are just BS anyway so no reason to get up in arms
Old 10-26-05, 12:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I definitely think not enough time has passed to call The Ring or Blair Witch great horror movies. The sequels to both were really terrible and showed how bad the premises were.
I agree that time will be needed to tell if these become classics, but I disagree with the second comment about the sequels. If you judge an original by the fact that crappy sequels were made from it then you also have to exclude Friday the 13th (#15), Carrie (#13), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (#11), Omen (#10), Jaws (#9), A Nightmare on Elm Street (#8), Poltergeist (#7), Halloween (#6), Psycho (#4), Alien (#2), and The Exorcist (#1) from that list. (And some might even argue that Dawn of the Dead had a crappy sequel in either Day or Land, but I'm not going to go there.)
Old 10-26-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is my list:

1. The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari
2. Nosferatu
3. Bride of Frankenstein
4. Dawn of the Dead
5. Poltergeist
6. The Exorcist
7. Psycho
8. Night of the Living Dead
9. Suspiria
10. Frankenstein
11. Rosemary's Baby
12. The Shining
13. The Fly Remake
14. Jaws
15. A Nightmare on Elm Street

I haven't seen Halloween, and I don't really remember enough Firday the 13th to judge it. I tried to consider how scary they are, but moreso just how good they are as films. Atmosphere played a big part in my choices as well; they didn't need to create a very scary or creepy atmosphere, just be successful in what they attempted.
Old 10-26-05, 03:10 PM

except a very good script and directing skill
I'd beg to differ. Runs away before being flamed to death.

I haven't seen Halloween.........

but moreso just how good they are as films. Atmosphere played a big part in my choices as well;
Then I'd recommend watching the original Halloween. It's not the scariest film ever made, but it is very well made, and oozes atmosphere.

Last edited by Terrell; 10-26-05 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-26-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by eedoon
Not a bad list - but I think I prefer the original Night of the Living Dead instead of Dawn of the Dead. I mean, Romero had literally nothing when he made it - except a very good script and directing skill, that is.

Completely agree.

I would also completely remove The Ring and Blair Witch Project and replace them with John Carpenter's The Thing & An American Werewolf in London.

The Blair Witch Project is good for what it was & it was unique at the time but it does not hold up to repeated viewings. The Ring seemed more silly than spooky when I originally watched it.

I would also have to throw in Candy Man and The Evil Dead as honorable mentions as well.
Old 10-26-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really do want to see Halloween. Seems like an excellent film. Michael Myers seems especially interesting to me because he is not supernatural, yet. I like the idea of a maniac.

Lately I've really had a craving to get into all those horror franchises like Halloween, Friday the 14th, and Nightmare on Elm Street. I know they mostly deteriorate but, I like schlocky films as well.

On a side note, I know someone named Michael Meyer (who's favorite holiday is Halloween), and he dressed up like a serial killer last Halloween. I think he wore a mask as well, and he carried around a real knife. So security on campus stopped him last year and asked him what his name was. He told the truth, but didn't have his ID on him, so they didn't believe him. I don't know how much trouble he was in, but I thought it was pretty funny. In case you can't tell he's an interesting guy. Currently he lives in the woods.
Old 10-26-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda surprised at all the hate for the Ring. I thought it was excellent and would place it high on my list as well. Not above Halloween, but pretty high.

Scratch Blair Witch, the Omen (maybe I saw it at the wrong age but I wasn't impressed) and F13 and throw in Suspiria, and either the Thing or Candyman (which gets major points for that Philip Glass score) and you've got a pretty good list. I don't like Alien on there as it seems more like suspense, but I suppose if I'd seen it in '79 I would have called it horror. I guess it's horror without the standard conventions.
Old 10-26-05, 04:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Terrible list. Most of the movies are good, but:

1. Only one movie made before 1975, and that's Psycho. Nothing from before 1960.

2. Complete lack of foreign films.
Old 10-26-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho

1. Only one movie made before 1975, and that's Psycho. Nothing from before 1960.

Problem is:

1. Most horror films made before 1970 simply do not hold up for today's audience and are simply not scary. Trust me, I have tried to find some. They may be a little creepy but scary...no.

2. Foreign films suck! But really, I could not name many foreign films that I found to be very frightening but I am far from a connoisseur. It may seem shallow but reading subtitles adds a certain "disconnect" for me and doesn't allow me to be scared. I can't scream...I'm reading.
Old 10-26-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually Groucho, 'The Exorcist' was released in 1973. But that's only 2 movies on the list made before 1975.

I agree the list is pretty ho hum.
Old 10-26-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho

Sometimes I don't know which Groucho is posting.
Old 10-26-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i didnt realize Alien was a straight horor movie.. more like a action/adventure/horor.. in eihter case i dont think it sould even make my top 15 list.
Old 10-26-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Oraphus
i didnt realize Alien was a straight horor movie.. more like a action/adventure/horor.. in eihter case i dont think it sould even make my top 15 list.
The whole Sci-fi element to Alien is irrelevant. The movie could be just as scary if it took place in a modern (and familiar) setting. If you have Bravo they are showing the 100 scariest moments tonight (10-26) and Alien is in the top 10.
Old 10-26-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as soon as I saw Blair Witch on the list I gave up on it. Here is my list.... always subject to change bases on my mood and how much time I have to think about it.

15) Nighmare on Elm Street
14) Carrie
13) Night Of The Living Dead
12) American Wearwolf In London
11) The Howling
10) Alien
9) Jaws
8) Poltergeist
7) The Omen
6) The Shining
5) Dawn Of The Dead
4) Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3) The Thing (82)
2) Halloween
1) The Exocist
Old 10-26-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still don't understand what's supposed to be so scary about The Exorcist? Strange, weird, kind creepy - yeah; but scary, uh, no.

Maybe back in it's day it was 'frightening', but it's pretty tame by today's standards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.