Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Waiting, has anyone seen it ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to check it out tomorrow. It looks like a funny little raunchy comedy. Any word on it ?
Old 10-10-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did. There's a few funny little gags in there, but it just doesn't work for an entire 90 minutes. And Ryan Reynolds gets a bit old after a while.

Still worth a rental, or even checking out in the theaters if you're a big fan of the cast. (Dane Cook is hilarious in his 3 min of screen time)
Old 10-10-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts
it looks like the Horatio Sanz scene from Road Trip stretched to a feature length film.

I think I'll just rent this one.
Old 10-10-05, 05:46 PM

I laughed my ass off. Just don't expect an Oscar-worthy script.
Old 10-10-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
meh... I didn't think it was that funny, but I suppose if it caught someone in the right mood, they would like it.
Old 10-11-05, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went with all the people who worth under me in the kitchen on opening day and we all really enjoyed it.

The movie would of been average without Reynolds but he pulled off another great, if not carbon copy, role and it made the film worth seeing.

I keep telling all the people at the restaurant they need to go see it. People outside the industry may like it but people who have worked these shitty jobs should enjoy it on a whole other level.

The "late check" scene had me in fucking stitches since I have to deal with that on a daily basis.
Old 10-11-05, 08:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
meh... I didn't think it was that funny, but I suppose if it caught someone in the right mood, they would like it.
I only laughed around twice - other than that I thought this was complete dreck. A trite very mean spirited comedy that should remain in the gutter.
Old 10-11-05, 10:11 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Great idea in an awful film.
Old 10-11-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I've waited tables before in a restaurant... didn't really think it worked on that 'other level' for me. I never worked in a stuffy office with cubicles, but thought Office Space was fucking hilarious. I think Waiting was just poor execution and that's all. I think it could work for people though - multiple viewings and working as waitstaff and perhaps being high might make this film work as intended... much like Clerks.
Old 10-11-05, 12:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
Yeah - I've waited tables before in a restaurant... didn't really think it worked on that 'other level' for me. I never worked in a stuffy office with cubicles, but thought Office Space was fucking hilarious. I think Waiting was just poor execution and that's all. I think it could work for people though - multiple viewings and working as waitstaff and perhaps being high might make this film work as intended... much like Clerks.
"Poor execution" and one dimensional acting.

yeah but Clerks had a far superior script - for Waiting... the inane dialogue made it sound like it was written by a foul-mouthed 14 year old.
Old 10-11-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I did enjoy the film I too still believe that Clerks and Office Space will never come close to touching this movie.

I'm really amazed that I didn't hate the film just for the fact that that fat moron from MTV was in it. That Andy Milonakis is unfunny and this is coming from someone who enjoys Jackass, Viva La Bam and some of Tom Green's work.

I also wish Dane Cook had more screen time but I can hope for deleted scenes on the DVD.
Old 10-11-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought Dane Cook at Ryan Renyolds were twins. Never thought they'd ever be in the same movie.
Old 10-11-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it. It wasn't a great movie, but I was never bored. Decent matinee.
Old 10-11-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
"Poor execution" and one dimensional acting.

yeah but Clerks had a far superior script - for Waiting... the inane dialogue made it sound like it was written by a foul-mouthed 14 year old.
I saw Clerks as part of an early test screening audience. My review at the time was that it was amateurish direction and writing, poor acting, and forced dialogue. I only found it somewhat funny the first time, but subsequent viewings helped. I remarked that since it was in black and white, people will feel like they are watching an independent arthouse film and they won't notice that it's a low brow juvenile attempt at filmmaking. I was even working at a video rental store when I saw it. I think Waiting and Clerks have alot in common overall - the main differences were that clerks was more quotable, in black and white, had less realistic dialogue flow and shittier acting. Both could've been written by an 8th grader.
Old 10-23-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this last night and laughed my ass off. I was worried with all of the bad reviews and marks it was recieving... even here. My friends all got into it as well, and unfortunatley will probably continue the
Spoiler:
penis-showing game.
Everyone in the movie was hilarious, imo, and all worked well with eachother. It's not amoungst the royalty of Clerks or Office Space... but still a fun comedy.

...could've used more Dane Cook though.
Old 10-23-05, 10:23 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
My friend begged me to see this. I said no way. Especially not for an evening show ticket price. Then he pointed out if we went to a particular theater, we could get a student discount ticket at $6 apiece. I still said no. He said if I went, and I didn't like it, he would give me $3 - half my ticket price.

He gave me $3.
Old 10-24-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Saw it, enjoyed it. Laughed a good deal. Nothing classic but worthwhile viewing non-the-less.

Reminded me a bit too much of our local Bennigans, but ah well.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-24-05 at 01:10 AM.