Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 06:43 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To clarify, I didn't have much problem with the special effects. Those were better than TV and as Adam said, on par with a moderate budget scifi flick.

I just thought the characters, dialogue, story line etc. seem like a cheese scifi channel drama rather than a movie.

Just not my cup of tea, I didn't like the Evil Dead movies eitehr to give an example of another "corny" movie that people love that didn't float my boat.
Old 10-23-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Well, after all the major talk about this movie on the forum I borrowed the Complete Series from a friend. I am going to try to run thru it in the next couple of weeks & maybe Serenity will still be in theaters by the time I finish it.

The fanboy fever here finally got to me I guess.
Old 10-23-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I said in my first post that it wasn't star wars prequel bad.

It's bad imo, but not that bad.

Partially just the delivery, the man actor was terrible and all his lines just came across as flat and without any emotion. The dialogue probably wouldn't have seemed as cheesy (at least his lines anyway) if the actor hadn't been so wooden.

But it's still loads better than the SW prequels in terms of dialogue.

Every other area I give to the prequels simply because I was a life long fan of the original s and love the characters and storyline, whereas I couldn't get into either with Serenity.

At any rate, enough posting about a movie I didn't care much for.

I'm glad many of you loved it!

Ok, I'm only gonna say the following, cause believe it or not, as much as I like the movie - I do believe you have the right not too.

I do dissagree with your take on the lead actor, Nathon Fillion. I don't find him to be the least bit wooden, as he's a fantastic actor - which you might have had more of a chance of knowing, had you watched Buffy or Firefly. But since you didn't, I can see where you didn't get the chance to get that. Still, I saw a great deal of his range in emotion in this film alone. You didn't, OK?

But dude, as much a fan of the original Star Wars as I am myself - even I can admit the the acting in those films could be pretty bad, too. And if you want to talk wooden, have you see Harrison Ford in any film over the last 10 or so years?

Anyway, not trying to get into it with you. If you don't have anything more to say on the subject - that's cool - just further expressing my own opinion.
Old 10-23-05, 10:43 PM
Retired

Oh I agree. I never said that acting wasn't wooden in star wars. I just still got into those stories and characters, and couldn't to this story and characters for whatever reason.

Probably has something to do with being 5 or so the first time I saw the SW movies and being raised on them. Maybe if I was 26 when I first saw SW I wouldn't have dug it either. But I doubt it, it just had a more interesting story and characters all around imo.
Old 10-25-05, 12:25 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went and saw the movie again yesterday, dragging a friend along with me. She might not have become an instant fan but she liked it enough to suggest it should get a sequel.

Maybe if I lend her my copy of Firefly it'll increase her appreciation about it...
Old 10-25-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But dude, as much a fan of the original Star Wars as I am myself - even I can admit the the acting in those films could be pretty bad, too.
So says you! I certainly don't find them to be pretty bad. Pretty bad is Jake Lloyd in TPM.

Though I must ask, what does any of this have to do with Serenity? Must Star Wars be taken down a notch to make Serenity look better? Last I look, this was the Serenity thread, not the Star Wars thread.
Old 10-25-05, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
So says you! I certainly don't find them to be pretty bad. Pretty bad is Jake Lloyd in TPM.

Though I must ask, what does any of this have to do with Serenity? Must Star Wars be taken down a notch to make Serenity look better? Last I look, this was the Serenity thread, not the Star Wars thread.

Actually, so say a lot of people. And it wasn't like I said it was ALL bad, just that some of it could be. And even then, I was speaking about the acting, and not so much the movies, themselves. Seriously, when was the last time you watched those movies - or are you the type who has to watch them at least once a week? (one of my best freinds is that way, so don't consider that an insult) And don't just view them through nostalgia's eyes - take a good look at them today.

Anyway, not trying to take Star Wars down a notch to make Serenity look better. For one, I wouldn't need to - as they are two seperate things. Secondly, what I reckon I was saying is that perhaps, just perhaps, those movies aren't the end all be all that they are often made out to be. They've got thier fair share of flaws here and there, too.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 10-25-05 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 12:17 PM
Retired

Last I look, this was the Serenity thread, not the Star Wars thread.
To be fair, I brought it up as an example to show that I'm not closeminded about scifi/fantasy, and simply just didn't like Serenity much, and I used the prequels as an example of movies with worse dialogue.
Old 10-25-05, 01:59 PM
Banned

I finally got to go see the movie this weekend, and I loved it! I'm a huge fan of the series, it's my favorite thing to watch on the commute to work (I put it on my PSP with this: www.psptransfer.com, great, easy to use product, btw). I do think that the movie was probably alot more familiar because I know the show inside and out, but the friend I saw it with hadn't seen the series, and she still really liked the movie.
Old 10-25-05, 02:23 PM

I just got into the show recently, and watched the complete Series on DVD before seeing the movie (loved both by the way). I definitely think watching the Series first enhances the enjoyment of the movie. You are already familiar with the characters, and there's more emotional impact when good/bad things happen.

A good comparison would be Star Trek II-The Wrath of Khan. Arguably, ST2 was once of the best sci-fi movies of all time, and you can easily enjoy it without having seen the original series. But Spock's death was much more traumatic (and meaningful) for those already familiar with the characters. [No spoiler warnings given because if you haven't seen it by now, you probably never will.]
Old 10-26-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by masetodd
But Spock's death was much more traumatic (and meaningful) for those already familiar with the characters. [No spoiler warnings given because if you haven't seen it by now, you probably never will.]
Spock dies?! Damn you for ruining that for me!!

Actually, that's along the lines of what my one friend was using for comparison. But his was: The understanding of what's going on in Serenity is like if you've never seen Star Trek, the original series, and you watch the first Star Trek movie, and you're not quite sure why everyone cheers for the guy with the pointy ears when he comes on board.

But I can see how yours may fit better.. I guess my friend was just going for the first-movie-from-a-short-TV-series point of view.
Old 10-27-05, 09:07 PM

I saw Serenity with a friend of mine yesterday, perhaps for the final time in the theaters. That makes four. It was her first time seeing it (she's been really busy lately) but she wanted to catch it before it left the theaters. I got her hooked on Firefly months and months ago and she loved the movie. She was sad to hear that the prospects for further adventures are slim to none, but like me she's glad there's some closure to the 'verse at least. I can't wait for the DVD!
Old 10-29-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
wish I had gotten to see it.
it was out of theaters here after 2 weekends
Old 10-29-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
That blows. And here I was actually upset that I only got to see it three times. I hope the DVD arrives soon so you can enjoy it many times over.
Old 10-30-05, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I never see stuff opening weekend due to large crowds always being loud
then the next weekend I was busy.
the weekend after that I was free but it was already gone, and there are a lot of theaters around here, although I think they're all either AMC or Regal, as the general cinema owned ones got bought by amc
Old 10-30-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
finished up the series today, absolutely freakin loved every minute of it, can't believe it didn't stay on tv and i can't believe i didn't catch it when it was on.

can't wait to see and buy the movie.
Old 10-31-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's up to $25m now -- $34m worldwide. Budget was $39m.
Old 10-31-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
That's great but it need $80m worldwide for a sequel to be greenlight.
Old 10-31-05, 01:44 PM
Banned

The future of this world is looking more and more grim. Hopefully other sales will pull it through, but I just dont see it happening. Guess I will just be happy sitting in my room watching the series and this movie over and over again.
Old 10-31-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd love more as much as anyone else, but I'm past the point of hoping for more and, really, I'm happy we got this far! I'll anxiously await the DVD(s) for Serenity, and as said above me, enjoy watching it as often as I want. It was a wonderful series, and at least it got a proper send-off in the film if this is indeed the end.
Old 10-31-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, pretty much be thankful it got a film made out of it.
Old 10-31-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's up to $25m now -- $34m worldwide. Budget was $39m.
You're really a glass is "half-full" kind of guy aren't you. The problem is in this case the glass is half-empty.
Old 11-01-05, 01:45 AM

You're really a glass is "half-full" kind of guy aren't you. The problem is in this case the glass is half-empty.
The whole point of the glass analogy is that it's both half-full and half-empty and it's merely a matter of psychological perspective, not that it's either one or the other.
Old 11-01-05, 04:20 AM

Not sure if I have anything to add to this thread that hasn't been said yet. I was introduced to this whole thing by seeing the preview for Serenity. It attracted me, and a friend of mine told me it was based on a TV show, so I went out and bought Firefly. I fell madly in love with Firefly and watched the whole thing, many episodes over and over, before watching the movie.

I was very upset by the movie at first; the darker tone of both the film and some of my beloved characters as well as certain events in the film were hard for me to take. But I ended up giving it a second chance, and that second chance turned into six. I appreciate the movie more every time I see it. I still wish it had gone in a different direction, but I like it and find it gets better with each viewing.

No work of fiction has ever grabbed me and turned me into an obsessed fan before Firefly/Serenity. I finally understand how some folks feel about Star Wars/Trek!
Old 11-01-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Never made it to the city nearest me (six screens total) at all. While I got to see it twice while visiting family in a big city, my local friends haven't been able to see it at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.