Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joss Whedon's Serenity (new thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvd news. http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...8055&n=1&burl=
Old 11-01-05, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic News! Saw this three times in th theaters, and can't wait to own it.
Old 11-01-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate that shot of River on the coverart, she is just made to look so "dark", sort of throws off the ensemble-ness of the cast.
Old 11-01-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The whole dvd cover looks terrible really.
Old 11-01-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
You're really a glass is "half-full" kind of guy aren't you. The problem is in this case the glass is half-empty.
Where in my post did I even imply I had a glass?
Old 11-01-05, 07:27 PM

Now up for presale at Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...X0DER&v=glance
Old 11-01-05, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Pretty much exactly what I was saying was going to happen about 2 weeks ago. The difference now, being that it's official.
Old 11-02-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evil
There's a bunch of comments there for something not even released yet..! Who am I kidding, I know it'll be a 5 star release for me too! Hoping for some nicer prices later though.
Old 11-02-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where in my post did I even imply I had a glass?
Touche!
Old 11-02-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like the window between theatres and home video gets smaller and smaller all the time. I just saw this a month ago in the theatre.
I went over and wrote a review at Amazon and gave it 4 stars.
Old 11-02-05, 04:48 PM
Retired

The window is usually pretty short for films that weren't box office hits.

The studio knows Serenity has a loyal fanbase even though the box office wasn't that good. So they're going to jump on that by launching the dvd just in time for x-mas to bring in some profits.
Old 11-02-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The window is usually pretty short for films that weren't box office hits.
SURVIVING CHRISTMAS had an even shorter release window last year, coming out in theaters on Oct. 22 and on DVD Dec. 21.
Old 11-02-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was reading through Home Media Retailing today, and got soem pretty interesting figures for how some recent movies did cost via box office. Since there was often talk here about wether or not Serenity was a bomb, I thought this would certainly put things into prerspective...

The Island Cost to make = 122 Million Box office gross = 36 Million
Kingdom Of Heaven Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 47.4 Million
Stealth Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 31.7 Million
Cinderella Man Cost to make = 88 Million Box office gross = 61.6 Million
Bewitched Cost to make = 85 Million Box office gross = 62.2 Million

Now I would surely call the first 3 on the list bombs comparatively, but all these films were considered "underperfomers" as they did not make back their initial cost.

Additionally, you could also take in the case of Doom - which cost 60 Million to make, but only grossed 15.5 Million in it's opening weekend. Granted it did still manage to make #1 - which Serenity did not - but consider that it also opened on about 1000 more screens than Serenity, and still only did about 5.4 Million more opening weekend.

The main focus of the article I got this info from, was basically about how the studios could still turn around a movie (or try to make more money from it) with it's DVD release. Although I neglected to get the figure for it, Kingdom Of Heaven still managed to come in at #2 for DVD sales the week of it's release. This only further leads me to believe that the DVD of Serenity is going to likely do more money than it's box office take.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 11-02-05 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 10:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
I was reading through Home Media Retailing today, and got soem pretty interesting figures for how some recent movies did cost via box office. Since there was often talk here about wether or not Serenity was a bomb, I thought this would certainly put things into prerspective...

Now I would surely call the first 3 on the list bombs comparatively, but all these films were considered "underperfomers" as they did not make back their initial cost.

Additionally, you could also take in the case of Doom - which cost 60 Million to make, but only grossed 15.5 Million in it's opening weekend. Granted it did still manage to make #1 - which Serenity did not - but consider that it also opened on about 1000 more screens than Serenity, and still only did about 5.4 Million more opening weekend.

The main focus of the article I got this info from, was basically about how the studios could still turn around a movie (or try to make more money from it) with it's DVD release. Although I neglected to get the figure for it, Kingdom Of Heaven still managed to come in at #2 for DVD sales the week of it's release. This only further leads me to believe that the DVD of Serenity is going to likely do more money than it's box office take.

Thank you fer getting back on track talking about the MOVIE, not the DVD release, Serenity DVD talk needs to stay in DVD talk, people know where to go.
Old 11-02-05, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000

Here's a more accurate list.

The Island Cost to make = 122 Million Box office gross = 159.3 Million
Kingdom Of Heaven Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 210.4 Million
Stealth Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 72.9 Million
Cinderella Man Cost to make = 88 Million Box office gross = 101.6 Million
Bewitched Cost to make = 85 Million Box office gross = 128.9 Million

Domestic numbers really mean squat when looking at overall profitability.

Of course, I should probably add P&A to each of those budgets so you can bet on an extra 20-40 million for each.
Old 11-02-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
Here's a more accurate list.

The Island Cost to make = 122 Million Box office gross = 159.3 Million
Kingdom Of Heaven Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 210.4 Million
Stealth Cost to make = 130 Million Box office gross = 72.9 Million
Cinderella Man Cost to make = 88 Million Box office gross = 101.6 Million
Bewitched Cost to make = 85 Million Box office gross = 128.9 Million

Domestic numbers really mean squat when looking at overall profitability.

Of course, I should probably add P&A to each of those budgets so you can bet on an extra 20-40 million for each.

Yep, in essence further backing up my point.
Old 11-03-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,095 Likes on 665 Posts
Well, I guess I am a new convert. Haven't watched the movie yet but I am halfway thru the series and goddamn, this is one of the best shows I have seen in years. I can't seem to turn it off. Now I understand what the fuss was about!
Old 11-03-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The whole dvd cover looks terrible really.
I have to agree with you there. I hope that cover art is far from final.
Old 11-14-05, 11:48 PM

That DVD art is just weird. I really wish they just stuck with the theatrical poster art, but it really seems the be the trend these days to change the art from screen to video. I don't know why. Maybe they figure they need to jazz it up for some reason. The worst offenders are the Star Wars DVDs. I'd choose the theatrical posters over that Photoshopped crap for the DVDs any day.
Old 11-15-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by RogueScribner
That DVD art is just weird. I really wish they just stuck with the theatrical poster art, but it really seems the be the trend these days to change the art from screen to video.
The obvious reason for this release is because it BOMBED theatrically, so they are trying a different marketing approach.
Old 11-15-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts
You mean unlike the non-marketing approach they tried at first? I know they were going for a whole viral marketing thing but they overdid it. There was like two trailers and a handful of TV spots that rarely aired. There was also only one poster (in the US) that I can recall. Not much was done to push this film and leaving it exclusively to the fans (although a great show of faith towards them) was a bad idea. Fans tend to scare away non-fans, even if the fans aren't the scary type. Most people I know tend to not want to go buy a fans opinion since they tend to view them as too biased.
Old 11-15-05, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You mean unlike the non-marketing approach they tried at first? I know they were going for a whole viral marketing thing but they overdid it. There was like two trailers and a handful of TV spots that rarely aired. There was also only one poster (in the US) that I can recall. Not much was done to push this film and leaving it exclusively to the fans (although a great show of faith towards them) was a bad idea. Fans tend to scare away non-fans, even if the fans aren't the scary type. Most people I know tend to not want to go buy a fans opinion since they tend to view them as too biased.
I think there's a lot of truth in this. I saw a bigger push for Doom by Universal than Serenity. The fact that not a single cast member appeared on a talk show in the States to promote their film really drives this home. I've seen many smaller films promoted on talk shows, and by actors I wasn't really familiar with, so the fact that the cast was pretty much unknown shouldn't have mattered. They may not have been the A guest that day, but I'm sure if Universal wanted to, they could have had a couple of the cast and maybe even Whedon appear as the second or third string guest on a couple of shows. Universal is affiliated with NBC which owns The Tonight Show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and whatever show Carson Daly is on. You're telling me they couldn't have done a little arm twisting to get a couple of appearances on Conan or Carson? I don't buy it.

Universal relied much too heavily on the fans to carry this movie and it didn't work. The few ads that did air didn't properly sell this movie. I'm not sure I would have bothered to see this movie just based on the ads. Hopefully it'll find a bigger audience on video, but the damage is done. Universal had a shot at a hit and blew it. The marketing and promotion of this film was simply mishandled.
Old 11-15-05, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RogueScribner
I think there's a lot of truth in this. I saw a bigger push for Doom by Universal than Serenity. The fact that not a single cast member appeared on a talk show in the States to promote their film really drives this home. I've seen many smaller films promoted on talk shows, and by actors I wasn't really familiar with, so the fact that the cast was pretty much unknown shouldn't have mattered. They may not have been the A guest that day, but I'm sure if Universal wanted to, they could have had a couple of the cast and maybe even Whedon appear as the second or third string guest on a couple of shows. Universal is affiliated with NBC which owns The Tonight Show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and whatever show Carson Daly is on. You're telling me they couldn't have done a little arm twisting to get a couple of appearances on Conan or Carson? I don't buy it.
I don't know...the cast for Serenity is a bunch of no-names...I rarely see people of that small stature on those talk shows, and definately not in the number one spot.

As for Doom being pushed more than Serenity...well...duh. It was a bigger movie, with a bigger star, with more revenue potential I'd say. Henceforth the bigger budget too.
Old 11-16-05, 02:54 AM

I've seen plenty of actors I've never heard of promoting films I knew little to nothing about. Not so much on The Tonight Show, but definitely on Conan and other late night talk show hosts of his ilk. And seeing as how Universal and NBC are in like Flynn, I'm sure if Universal really wanted to, one or two Serenity people could have appeared on a talk show somewhere.

More could have done. Easily. That's pretty much my point.
Old 12-02-05, 02:32 AM

Almost a month with nothing new...until now. Now it might not be official, but it sounds very possible:

Originally Posted by IGN Film Force
FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.