Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Fest (Austin, TX)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm far too lazy to post a review of every film I have seen or will see this weekend. However, if there's one you've been looking forward to, and you'd like to hear my two cents, just let me know and I'll post my thoughts.

Zathura
Wolf Creek
Feast (Project Greenlight)
The Dark Hours
The Wild Blue Yonder
Night of the Living Dorks
Creep
The Big White
Strings
Pulse
"P"
Sin City: Extended Cut
Hostel
Malefique

Also, is anybody else attending this festival? If so, let me know which ones you took a liking to, and which ones you wish you would've passed over for something else.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 10-10-05 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-10-05, 10:40 AM

Come on now, I know that there are other folks from Austin on these forums, which means that at least a few other people here went to this festival. Speak up.

-JP
Old 10-10-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts
What did you think of Feast?

(I watched this season of Project Greenlight and everything looked like one disaster after another until the last couple of episodes where it looked like they were trying to put a positive spin on the results so the viewers of the show wouldn't stay away from the movie.)
Old 10-10-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
So what was Sin City: Extended Cut like? Better? Worse? Or more of the same?
Old 10-10-05, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How were Hostel and Wolf Creek?
Old 10-11-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

spill your guts
Old 10-11-05, 09:36 AM

Feast was mediocre. To the director's credit, he did nice work with the monsters. Since their budget wasn't exactly mind-boggling, I doubt the creatures would've had much impact given extended periods of screentime. So instead, he uses motion and sound to get the effect across, and it works really well. I also loved the introductions for the characters (even if the gimmick used did wear thin after a while, given the huge amount of people being introduced). For the most part, though, the movie is one that I would classify under B-horror. If that's your bag of chips, have at it. Just don't expect anything other than wall-to-wall B-horror gore, a handful of cheesy effects, bad acting, and so on and so forth. Everybody at the festival seemed to agree that it's the first successful Project Greenlight movie. However, "successful" can be taken any number of ways.

The Sin City extended cut wasn't all that different from the original. Mainly, there were just little bits tossed in here and there. The best added footage is the scene when Marv goes back to his mother's house. Once you see the cut, you'll know what I'm referring to. It's funny stuff, and good for a change of pace. While I prefer this cut to the theatrical one, for the most part, it is still the same film. There are no major changes, nothing that really effects the storylines. Above all else, though, I just loved the fact that it was cut into three segments. It plays a bit better that way, IMO.

Wolf Creek was one of my favorite movies of the festival. Unfortunately, it was nowhere near being a masterpiece. There were nods to Irreversible before the screening, in regard to the brutality of this movie. Don't be fooled, it comes nowhere near that level. I loved the time the movie spent getting us introduced to the cast of characters. That made the second half of the film work that much better. I think it could have done without the typical horror cliches (you know, where the protagonists progressively get dumber and dumber as the night wears on). It was still solid, though. I'd recommend it...even if only for John Jarrett's amazing performance.

And Hostel is just plain fucked up. If you have a weak stomach, I'd use caution when deciding whether or not to watch it. If you're looking for wall-to-wall violence and gore (realistic violence and gore, too...not like "Feast"), then this is the movie for you. While I fell in love with the movie on some levels, I do think it failed on many others. The movie could have been absolutely amazing had Roth gone into the back stories of the numerous antagonists. He starts to tread on that ground in one locker room scene, but never carries it on. I honestly think the film could have used an additional 30 minutes or so of looking into the psyche of the people committing the violent acts. Had Roth not dropped the ball there, this film would've been amazing. As it stands, it's good (great in it's genre), even if flawed.

-JP