Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The I've seen Serenity thread (untagged spoilers inside)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The I've seen Serenity thread (untagged spoilers inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peon73
Loved the movie. although i didn't stay past the end credits and i'm told there's something about dinosaurs????
I stayed through all the credits when I saw it on Friday, and there was nothing at the end on the print I saw.
Old 10-01-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing about dinosaurs that I saw were the little dinos on Wash's pilot console. I stayed for the entire credits and didn't see anything about dino's either.
Old 10-01-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from seeing Serenity. Wonderous shite! Great work by all involved, particularly Joss who had never helmed a big screen project before and Nathan, who was much more of the focal point than he was in the more ensemble-oriented series. The man has charisma enough for about five actors. I kind of view this film like the last two seasons of Buffy. I wanted and want more of both but neither should have really existed so I'm just pleased to have what there is. I do hope it performs well enough to spawn something...another film, a new series, TV movies on the Sci-Fi Channel...somethng. FWIW, there were about 10 people in the theater with me for a 7:20 showing. There's not a lot to read into that though, as it's a theater in a not so great part of town and I'm guessing the criminal element isn't down with cleverly written and performed space operas.

The only gripe I have with the film, and there's nothing on earth Joss could have down about it save making a film about 8 hours long, is how intensely compacted it felt. There was so much information, a good chunk of it background, that he had to wedge in that some of the delicate story threads that Joss is so good at weaving were a bit more threadbare than is typical for his shows. But again, there was nothing to do about that. I did love the central River/Alliance/Reavers story though. I assume he had that revelation in mind had the series continued (?). The deaths sucked, obviously. I didn't mind Book dying character-wise as much as I hated losing Ron Glass from the ensemble. I've been a fan of his since Barney Miller. Wash dying I hated all the way around. If the Firefly/Serenity franchise does continue, they're going to have a hard time finding someone who can bring the funny as well as Alan Tudyk.

Last edited by JesseCuster; 10-02-05 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by JesseCuster
Wash dying I hated all the way around. If the Firefly/Serenity franchise does continue, they're going to have a hard time finding someone who can bring the funny as well as Alan Tudyk.
I loved the movie, but I really hated Wash dying. I just felt was unneeded and very what you would expect from Whedon and meh. If they continue, his loss is going to be huge. I wish he had done something else. If they needed a death, there were others who could have gone first.

That said, I thought it was great. I loved it a lot. It played better on the big screen than it did on TV, and it was really great on TV. I will likely see it again tomorrow.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-01-05 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 01:35 AM

Saw the film with my wife today and loved it. The theater was about 60% full, but it was a noon showing. I thought everything was done very well and had no real complants. As for Book, it's clear he's a trained fighter if you see how he took down that guy in the first eps of the series. I think Wash died for two reasons: He's a hit on broadway and doing more films, and it REALLY did make the end of the film MUCH more scary. Someone had to die IMO and the only other one I think you could kill would be Simon. But the audence didn't have a lot invested in him compared to Wash. I also expected them to take on the assassin as a crew member and was kind of shocked actually that they didn't. I had the same thing happen as everyone else ie the audence LOVED the film. I don't think they were all fans of the show and one woman said to her husband that they were going to Best Buy right then to buy the boxset.
Old 10-02-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
While it sucked that Wash died, he is the only actor with the 'potential' to do other films, hence making the budget for a sequel a bit bigger. Not that its an excuse, just that he is the only other actor that has done other 'succesful' movies.

As per Zoe's reaction...She was in a war. She saw hundreds, possibly thousands of men and women die. Death is nothing new to her, as was seen when Book died. I just assume she's been through it enough to handle herself...to a certain degree.
That's a lot different than losing your husband. My take on it is that the death is still fresh. It hasn't begun to sink in yet, and it's something that would have been shown over the course of maybe a season of a show.
Old 10-02-05, 03:26 AM
Suspended

Just got back from a late showing, 10:30, I rocked the movie solo tonight because my candy ass friends either were too tired, broke or home with there wives, so whatever.

I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around, I didn't feel anything weird about already seeing it once, action was great along with the pace. Music was GREAT! People were yelling and cheering all through it, very lively crowd. THough only half of the theater was full. I snuck over to Into The Blue afterwords and things wern't much better crowd wise.

Summer

Morena

The only gripe I had was with this fat bitch drinking from a flask and drunk, fucking loud and annoying with her friends. Things were getting pissy when people starting yelling for her to shut her fucking mouth. Then afterwards, there were a few boys and girls waiting for her to come out....looked like there was going to be a tussle, but Jacob the pimply ticket ripper, all 135lbs of him and his theater manager cronies broke things up before the tussle happened, too bad, words were exchanged and I was right in the middle of it, stupid bitch starting shit. No wonder people are not going to the theater anymore and attendance is down overall, because we have to put up with stupid shit wigs like this bitch. I know yall are felling me on this.

Ok rant over

Loved it, going to see it again tomorrow, maybe with a date too, w00t!
Old 10-02-05, 07:17 AM
Cool New Member

Great flick and proof positive that SF flicks can be made without crap dialogue and characters that behave in unrealistic ways. The real special effect in any movie is characters and writing. Serenity has that in spades. Did some of SFX come off as weak - yep. But you know what? I'll take the occasional weak SFX shot any day over a technically brilliant film filled with cardboard characters spewing puerile dialogue.

I can only hope that Serenity does well enough to warrant a sequel.
Old 10-02-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing I hate about this movie, is if this is where the show was headed it would have played out SO much better over tv seasons I think (outside of that kickass space battle at the end, though they might have pulled that off on TV too). Otherwise it's the best movie I've seen all year and I've seen The Cave, so thats saying something .

Otherwise I can't wait for the dvds. I bet they give us an Unrated cut.
Old 10-02-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, an unrated cut would be great... the more footage the better

I know Wash dying really pushed the 3rd act ahead, but come on man, it was Wash! He was great comic relief... can't see any future shows w/out him. They need to pull an Alien:resurrection (whedon wrote it afterall) and clone him from a fingernail or something!

Great movie, can't WAIT for it to be out on DVD, so I don't have to listen to crap like Fat Lady[tm] in front of me rummaging through a potato chip bad constantly during the whole movie.
Old 10-02-05, 04:22 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Interesting spin... hadn't thought about it that way. It would explain a couple of things about Book though.
I actually had a similar thought - not that Book was originally sent to capture/kill River, but that he might have previously been an operative of some sort. It would explain one hell of a lot.
Old 10-02-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it last night. Dragged my partner. He really enjoyed it even though he had not seen the series. I really liked it too. Great to see all the characters again but sad to lose some too. My only complaint was that since it Joss had to make it more epic, one of the things that made the show so great...the intimate character interraction was lost. Sure there were some good exchanges within the movie but the tone was off noticably.
Love Keileys line, I want to Live!
Theatre was packed which was a good thing and people seemed to be talking positive about it afterwards. So glad it out grossed the Alba movie!
Old 10-02-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I've never seen "Firefly", but the trailers for this movie got me really excited about having a good sci-fi action flick in the theaters again. Went to see it with a friend who loved the show last night.

Overall I thought the movie was great, and is among my favorites so far this year, and again this is coming from someone who has not watched "Firefly". Had a good amount of action and humor, which I liked a whole lot. Definitely will see it again soon. The one camera shot of River holding the two weapons over all the dead Reavers, with all the solidiers in the back was so rad. should've been the theatrical poster. Great movie!!

Is it bad that I was cheering for the bad guys? The reavers were really cool, as well as that assassin guy, did he have a name?

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-02-05 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He is just The Operative.
Old 10-02-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it Saturday at 4:15 with a great crowd (I doubt all of them could have been fans of the series). The only downside was that the first five minutes or so were silent until someone got in the booth to fix the sound. Some guys in the back started making their own sound effects (whooshing ship noises and stuff), so that made it a little better. Half the audience walked out to go to the 4:55 show instead, but I figured nothing that important happened.

Overall, the movie just made me really sad that it didn't have the chance to be told over a couple seasons of Firefly. Also, like a lot of other people, Wash was my favorite character, so I was incredibly sad to see him go -- but Whedon loves killing off characters, and to be fair, it did ratchet up the tension at the end quite a bit. River's fight choreography was just amazing. Also, I loved the moment when the Serenity emerged from the nebula... with the entire Reaver armada following them! The fact that the story actually made sense was nice.

All in all, I don't think I could have hoped for a better conclusion (?) to the story.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 10-02-05 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Just got back from this. Sunday @ 8:30... Theater was pretty much empty (maybe 20 people in a 500+ seat theater).

Having never seen Firefly, the movie still made perfect sense, never once did I feel confused or left out of the loop on anything. That all said, while I enjoyed it more than Episode III, it wasn't a great movie - but it was a pretty decent one. Joss W. doesn't seem to be big on shot composition (it did look like a tv episode blown up on the big screen) but that didn't detract too much. There were some corny parts and plenty of funny ones. River's scenes were entertaining and well executed for the most part. The effects got the job done well.

The overall story was predictable as hell, but I guess you don't really go into these kinds of movies expecting to be blown away by the plot of it. (more to see these particular characters take care of a tried and true sceanario)

That all said, something about it really reminds me of Cowboy Bebop (crossed with Outlaw Star)...
Old 10-02-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
I thought Serenity was great! The dialogue was very good, and the story was on the mark.

It's a shame that intelligent, well written movies like this can't seem to find a bigger audience. The marketing campaign could have been better, though - it worked for the existing fans of the show, but I don't think it (the marketing campaign) really appealed to a general audience.

That really is unfortunate, because this was a very special movie - great cast, great script, well directed - it's everything that a good science fiction movie is supposed to be. It isn't perfect, but it is damn good!

I can't wait for the DVD!

Last edited by B5Erik; 10-02-05 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-02-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The movie was quite excellent!

Only thing I didn't like about it, really, was Wash's death - but I understand how it's very much a Joss thing to do (RE: Anya's death at the end of Buffy).

Other than that, great stuff, and converted another fan - my brother inlaw - in the process, too.
Old 10-02-05, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
The movie was quite excellent!

Only thing I didn't like about it, really, was Wash's death - but I understand how it's very much a Joss thing to do (RE: Anya's death at the end of Buffy). .
At the end of Buffy, Joss was going to kill a Scoobie, but Emma Caulfield (Anya) made it clear to Joss that she did not want to come back on Buffy in any way (Spinoff, Movies, etc.). She actually told this to Joss around the start of the 7th Season, before it was determined it would be the last.

Interestingly enough, at the time the finale was being shot, scripts got out on the internet that had either Anya biting the dust or Andrew. Most have hoped for the latter.
Old 10-03-05, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Just got back from it again, went to the 7:30 showing. I didn't have much going on Sunday night so I thought I would check it out one more time on the big screen, before its kicked out of theateres in the next few weeks because of upcoming releases. Might check it out again next weekend as well to give it a little support for the week after gross.

Ok, can somebody explain the injection Mal gets from Simon right before they rob the vault? Whats the purpose of this?

Go Serenity!!
Old 10-03-05, 12:49 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
excellent movie. just pisses me off more that the show was cut short. this 'verse needs to go on - it's characters, style, dialog...can't get enough.

Kaylee: Been more than a year since I had anything 'twixt my nethers didn't run on batteries!
Mal: I don't want to hear that!
Jayne: I could stand to hear a little more.

Old 10-03-05, 01:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by shaggy
"If I'm not back in one hour, you take this ship....and go rescue me!"

You nailed it. One of the best moments in the film, and something only Joss could write.

This film was so good its beyond words. However, I don't know if it will have the same effect on non fans. I love these characters. How many of you knew nothing going in? Did you like it? Love it?
i'm a non-fan. i just watched the 2 hour pilot episode of firefly (planning to watch the season and then check out serenity). but i was so underwelmed by it, that i decided not to continue. is the film any better?
Old 10-03-05, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm a non-fan. i just watched the 2 hour pilot episode of firefly (planning to watch the season and then check out serenity). but i was so underwelmed by it, that i decided not to continue. is the film any better?
If you already have access to the series continue watching it and see if it clicks for you.
Old 10-03-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animalmystic

Ok, can somebody explain the injection Mal gets from Simon right before they rob the vault? Whats the purpose of this?

Go Serenity!!
Mal says something about having to get his inoc (inoculation) before going planet side. I assume the others that left the ship had already gotten theirs. It kinda goes along with what the history teacher said about each planet having it's own problems with dieases and such.
Old 10-03-05, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by animalmystic
it's mentioned a few lines previous while walking around that they are getting vaccinated before stepping onto the planet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.