Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! What animated movie is this?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine is asking me this. It doesn't sound familiar to me. My closest guess was Heavy Metal, but she swears that's not it. Here's all the info I have pieced together:

"my bro sent me an email. he's trying to figure out the name of a cartoon movie we watched when we were younger. i can't remember if it was a movie or a series, but i'm pretty sure it was on cable--hbo. 1980's ish.

it was about space, had swearing in it, and had a robot that was pretty wacky that always said, 'yah man.'

the design of the cartoon we're trying to think of is more cartoonish than comic-graphic

I thought it was called "Once Upon a Time" or something like that.
"
Old 09-21-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He found it. Its called Twice Upon a Time.

I've never heard of it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086489/
Old 09-21-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see anything about a robot in there. It doesn't seem to take place in space either.
Old 09-21-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's some kind of animated movie I remember seeing on cable in the 80s where a crucial scene took place in some kind of club, with disco lights and crap. It took place in a semi-bleak future. It was adult, but not as adult as Heavy Metal. I was hoping that would be the answer so I could find out what it was called.

Edit: I was thinking of American Pop. No robots in there either.

Last edited by cleaver; 09-21-05 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 01:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
you're not thinking of the 1985 animated feature length film Starchaser: The Legend of Orin are you?
Old 09-21-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
A friend of mine is asking me this. It doesn't sound familiar to me. My closest guess was Heavy Metal, but she swears that's not it. Here's all the info I have pieced together:

"my bro sent me an email. he's trying to figure out the name of a cartoon movie we watched when we were younger. i can't remember if it was a movie or a series, but i'm pretty sure it was on cable--hbo. 1980's ish.

it was about space, had swearing in it, and had a robot that was pretty wacky that always said, 'yah man.'

the design of the cartoon we're trying to think of is more cartoonish than comic-graphic

I thought it was called "Once Upon a Time" or something like that.
"
While the edit of Twice Upon a Time that ran on HBO did have limited swearing, it doesn't take place in space and there's no robot that says "yah man." There is a gorilla-like Robot that talks via video clips on a screen on its chest, but thats as close as it gets.

That said, the movie is a true overlooked classic. It was designed using the Lumage process, involving cut outs. Like Gilliam's Python work a thousand times improved.
Old 09-22-05, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
While the edit of Twice Upon a Time that ran on HBO did have limited swearing, it doesn't take place in space and there's no robot that says "yah man." There is a gorilla-like Robot that talks via video clips on a screen on its chest, but thats as close as it gets.

That said, the movie is a true overlooked classic. It was designed using the Lumage process, involving cut outs. Like Gilliam's Python work a thousand times improved.

from the provided link and mention I actually rented the movie yesterday - (VHS only) and watched it this morning - Wow! what a fascinating vastly entertaining movie! Thanks Snowmaker.

It was a blast to see (and hear) a lot of current talent mentioned on the cast list - David (Se7en) Fincher, Henry (Nightmare Before Christmas) Selik. The voice of Ralph, the All-Purpose Animal being voice actor Lorenzo Music (sadly deceased) (aka the voice of Garfield and Carl the Doorman from 'Rhoda').

oh... and George Lucas is Executive Producer.

Last edited by Giles; 09-22-05 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
"There's some kind of animated movie I remember seeing on cable in the 80s where a crucial scene took place in some kind of club, with disco lights and crap. It took place in a semi-bleak future."

Rock and Rule?

I don't know if that was a 'crucial' scene, but it was somewhat important.
Awesome movie, and just recently released on DVD in both single disk, and double disk Special Editions.

http://www.unearthedfilms.com/rockandrule.htm [rest of their site is most likely not worksafe]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72841?v=glance

if that's the right movie, that scene is about halfway through, when Angel is--well, I won't spoil it : )

Twice upon A Time was a bizarre little thing. I liked it.

The OP's post does sound more like Heavy Metal, the bit where the aliens lift the chick from the Pentagon.

Other than that, the only one that comes to mind is Light Years, and I doubt that's it, I don't recall any swearing.
Old 09-22-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
"There's some kind of animated movie I remember seeing on cable in the 80s where a crucial scene took place in some kind of club, with disco lights and crap. It took place in a semi-bleak future."

Rock and Rule?

I don't know if that was a 'crucial' scene, but it was somewhat important.
Awesome movie, and just recently released on DVD in both single disk, and double disk Special Editions.

http://www.unearthedfilms.com/rockandrule.htm [rest of their site is most likely not worksafe]
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72841?v=glance

if that's the right movie, that scene is about halfway through, when Angel is--well, I won't spoil it : )

Twice upon A Time was a bizarre little thing. I liked it.

The OP's post does sound more like Heavy Metal, the bit where the aliens lift the chick from the Pentagon.

Other than that, the only one that comes to mind is Light Years, and I doubt that's it, I don't recall any swearing.
The drummer looks familiar, straight to the top of the queue you go!
Thanks, looks hot
Old 09-22-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
In Heavy Metal, there was that crazy horny robot who was banging that secretary they sucked up into the ship. He didn't say "yeah man" but the Stoner Alien pilots said that and called eachother "man" all the time. Harold Ramos was one of the Aliens and he used a Chicago accent.

Zeks: Hey, do we have any of that Plutonian Nyborg left?
Edsel: Uh, yeah. Just one bag. Uh, it's in the transmitter compartment.
Zeks: Thanks, man.
Zeks: Oh, great. Think this is enough?
Edsel: Uhh ... nah. Go for broke.
Zeks: Good thinking, man.
Zeks, Edsel: Nose dive!

Zeks: Look, man, if there's one thing I know, it's how to drive while I'm stoned. You know your perception is completely fucked so you just let your hands work the controls as if you were straight.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-23-05 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we've been hosed.