Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie with the Most Dubious Political Agenda...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie with the Most Dubious Political Agenda...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sherm42
Totally disagree. This film is not actually about guns or the 2nd Amendment. The case is only important in that it creates a situation where the jury verdict will rule. The plot points to me just seemed to be geared toward the thriller angle.

How can you NOT think Runaway Jury had a political agenda?
Old 09-26-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Though not dubious, The Constant Gardener was definately left. Actually, it left me in a grumpy mood for like two or three days. Powerful stuff. Great movie.

<--- Left handed and left winged since 1983.
Old 09-27-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
Schindler's List. Anti-Nazi in almost every way.
Old 09-27-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I thought the Battle of Algiers portrayed both sides pretty accurately and fairly. The movie pretty much made the audience choose sides.
Haven't seen it.

If it presents both sides accurately and fairly, then what is it's political agenda? That war is bad, regardless of what side you choose?

That doesn't strike me as particularly political.
Old 09-27-05, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by whoopdido
How can you NOT think Runaway Jury had a political agenda?
Because the movie does not really focus on the case itself very much. Sure, you get a few scenes of witnesses on the stand, but the film is mostly shot to look at the jury, not the lawyers or the witnesses. It never seems to even try to make too much of an argument why there should be liability for gun owners. To me, the gun element seemed to be more of a plot device than anything else.

Otherwise, what is the message? Guns bought illegally are a bad thing? That's obvious.

I'm not saying that I can't see why some people see it as political, but Runaway Jury feels more to me like a thriller first and a political statement last. Heck, the message that the jury system is corrupt is more of a political statement of this film than guns.

Last edited by sherm42; 09-27-05 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
The Contender is a political movie, no doubt. But the point of the movie would serve either party. It seems a lot of people attack the movie simply because the Deomcrats are the "good guys" and the Republicans are the "bad guys" (although the Democrats have bad guys characters too). I'm sure the movie was written/directed/produced by liberal people so there's always some bias built in there. But I also feel people read way too much into which party filled what roles. Does it really matter? I mean some party has to fill those roles.
In general, I agree with you. Likewise, in general, The American President could be applicable to both sides. Sadly, both films instead serve as a pulpit for their respective creative teams. In the case of The Contender, the sermon so offended a large percentage of its audience that it resulted in a gross of just $17 million, far less than the film deserved to get based on overall quality (sans the obnoxious levels of intellectual dishonesty in a few portions of the script).

Now Rod Lurie, the man who brought us The Contender, is at it again with the new TV series Commander-in-Chief.