Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Carlito's Way - Prequel- Any good?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Carlito's Way - Prequel- Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To try to get this thread back on topic:

If you are a fan of the first film, let me know what you like about it (I don't like it myself) and I will tell you whether you can expect more of the same or not. Every film has an audience somewhere, and this one is no exception. I don't think it is intended to appeal to the same audience, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-05, 05:11 PM

Im suprised how many commercials im seeing for this movie. I think its a horrible idea because Carlitos Way was cool because it was basically the opposite of scarface and this prequal sounds like scarface.
Old 09-20-05, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by GameGenie
Im suprised how many commercials im seeing for this movie. I think its a horrible idea because Carlitos Way was cool because it was basically the opposite of scarface and this prequal sounds like scarface.
The prequel is nothing like Scarface.
Old 09-20-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then why is it called Carlito's Way 2: Scarface?
Old 09-20-05, 08:59 PM

I just meant in the sense that Scarface was about having nothing to becoming rich and powerful and the original carlitos way was the complete opposite. Now this prequal is even called Rise to power which seems very familiar to scarface. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-20-05, 10:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Cent Deposit
Well, you said that the film is getting a liimited release. What exactly does that mean? There is a difference between "releasing" a film and exhibiting it. I can rent (or even purchase) prints of old films and exhibit them publicly, as long as I am willing to fork over a few hundred dollars in fees. I have friends that do this, and none of them would call it "re-releasing" the movies. My guess is that the producers are paying for the right to exhibit the film (I was never entirely sure what the ownership is, actually) and are expecting to take a loss. I know for a fact that tickets are being given out via radio stations and other promotions. This is all being done so that the film doesn't have the stigma of "direct to video" all over it. The hope is that the added gloss of a couple of theatrical screenings will translate to a few more units sold. You may have done your "homework," but you still sound like you don't know what you are talking about.
You want the thread back on track, yet you post this?

Do you really want to argue the minutiae of the term "limited release?"

Last edited by scott shelton; 09-20-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by GameGenie
I just meant in the sense that Scarface was about having nothing to becoming rich and powerful and the original carlitos way was the complete opposite. Now this prequal is even called Rise to power which seems very familiar to scarface. Just my opinion though.
The title is somewhat misleading.
Old 09-21-05, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by scott shelton
You want the thread back on track, yet you post this?

Do you really want to argue the minutiae of the term "limited release?"
I posted a message to you saying that you and I could argue about the "release" all night and day. The obvious impllication should be that I clearly do not "really want to argue the minutiae" any further, but that it is debatable. I feel I have stated my case, you have stated yours, and it no longer interests me. We disagree. In summary: I know some people who attended a public screening (tickets were sold to the general public) of "Jaws" this summer. Yet if someone asked me "I heard that Jaws got a special limited re-release on the East Coast in certain markets, is that true?" I would feel fine answering them no. One show in Bryant Park on a Monday night doesn't count. You and I have what should be called different opinions. Radical concept, huh? Can we leave it at that?

The reason I am so clearly annoyed here is the initial tone you took. You first posted "The film IS getting a very limited release in theaters." This was in contradiction to what others had posted. I responded with "I don't know why you say this. All I've heard of are single engagements (screenings paid for by the producers) for radio contest winners et al. Maybe that has changed, though." Perhaps you were bothered by my first sentence? I hope not. Whatever the case, your next post was clearly going for the "I am teh winnar of teh intranet" tone that I find really obnoxious:

Originally Posted by scott shelton
*sigh*

1) www.landmarktheaters.com

2) Go to the Los Angeles or New York City listings.

3) Scroll down.
There really wasn't any need (in my opinions, of course) to be an ass about it.

I posted a separate message after the other one stating that I would like to help to get the thread back on track. I am still interested in helping in that department. There is little I can say about whether one person will enjoy the film or not. scott shelton's "limited release" says all there is to say about the faith Universal has in the film.
Old 09-21-05, 11:05 AM

I went to go see the screener in Philly last week. The movie wasnt BAD but the acting wasnt the greatest (P. Diddy was horrible) but the jokes were funny and Carlito's bodyguard is in the movie from Carlito's way so i liked that. It also had somewhat of a good ending. Would i buy it...no.
Old 09-22-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

diddy = box office poison. he took a page out of j-lo's book.
Old 09-22-05, 10:52 AM

I feel I have stated my case, you have stated yours, and it no longer interests me. We disagree.
So why post again? And with personal attacks?
Old 09-22-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you know what bugs me about this movie? that Carlito is sporting that dorky van-dyke goatee that makes him look exactly like John Leguizamo's character Benny Blanco from the Bronx in the first movie, who was supposed to be an upstart punk.

But now Carlito looks like a dumb punk. Why not the full beard so we at least identify him as the same character.

oh, and funny how pachanga was older in the past!!!
Old 09-22-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scott & Five....

Please stop posting in this thread. You're both just arguing repetitively with eachother. Private message or e-mail is the way to go.
Old 09-22-05, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Scott & Five....

Please stop posting in this thread. You're both just arguing repetitively with eachother. Private message or e-mail is the way to go.
Please accept my apology. I'm done with it (the argument,) and never meant to derail things.
Old 09-23-05, 07:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

There really wasn't any need (in my opinions, of course) to be an ass about it.
And, there really wasn't any need to make a personal attack on another member. Please don't make comments like this in the future.
Old 09-28-05, 11:09 AM

Good article...

Franchise sequels send DVD biz direct to bank
By Thomas K. Arnold

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - With the DVD business no maturing, Hollywood studios are looking to the nontheatrical and direct-to-video arenas to boost the bottom line.

Indeed, the latest studio estimates are that only 35% of the DVD business comes from new feature films, putting the onus on home video executives to feed their own kitty instead of just drafting off their theatrical divisions.

"The market is no longer dependent on new releases for growth," 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn said.

He noted that one of Fox's biggest pushes is to create TV-DVD franchises like its enormously successful "Family Guy," which has just spun off a direct-to-video feature film, "Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story," with an initial shipment of 1.2 million units.

Other suppliers are looking at direct-to-video sequels to live-action theatrical hits. Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) is among them, with a new line of "Universal DVD Originals" launching Tuesday with "Carlito's Way: Rise to Power," starring Sean Combs.

The film was produced by Martin Bregman, who also produced the 1993 original "Carlito's Way." The producer's son, Michael Scott Bregman, wrote the script and directed the film, which will receive a limited theatrical release in Los Angeles and New York the weekend after street date, chiefly to drum up video sales.

"We have a $24 billion business that consumers absolutely love," said USHE president Craig Kornblau. "And yet, there is very little content made only for this business."

Next up: "American Pie: Band Camp" on December 27, which features Eugene Levy reprising his role in the three previous films as a straight-laced dad.

Universal isn't alone. New Line Home Entertainment will resume making direct-to-video sequels next year, with follow-ups to the 1994 theatrical "8 Seconds," starring Luke Perry, and last year's $57.7 million grosser "The Butterfly Effect" coming in 2006. Also on tap is a fifth "House Party," the second sequel to go direct to video.

"There's a built-in fan base, and what we're trying to do is take a recognizable title and go after the core audience," said Kevin Kasha, senior vp acquisitions and programming at New Line. "Right now, there's a lot of competition in the marketplace for shelf space, and going after sequels and other franchise or branded programming is really the only way you can generate enough noise and use your marketing dollars to get the shelf space you need."

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment also has direct-to-video sequels to 1992's "Single White Female" and 1999's "8MM" in the pipeline. Neither "Single White Female 2: The Psycho," coming October 25, nor "8MM 2," due November 22, feature any returning cast members from the originals.

Even so, division president Benjamin Feingold said, "people know what they are getting." He noted that Sony has produced direct-to-video sequels to "Wild Things," "Sniper" and "Cruel Intentions."

Lions Gate Home Entertainment also is harnessing franchise power, albeit in a different way. The supplier is expanding its lucrative "Barbie" line by releasing three different titles next year, up from two this year and one each in 2003, '02 and '01. The direct-to-video franchise has sold upward of 13 million units and is spawning the launch of a new "Barbie Diaries" line next year.

"Franchising always has been important, but it's more important now," Lions Gate Entertainment president Steve Beeks said. "The market is softening, the consumer is a little more discerning, and unless you have some brand recognition, some franchise power, it's going to be hard to break through the clutter."

Similarly, Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment has expanded its "Baby Einstein" line of edutainment DVDs for infants with a "Little Einstein" series targeting preschoolers.

At Paramount Home Entertainment, Paramount has done so well with "Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again," which has sold more than 2.5 million DVDs since its release in December, that the studio is upping its commitment to the comedy genre.

Domestic home entertainment president Meagan Burrows said the studio is "in the process of developing a new comedy label," with several releases in the pipeline, including a third "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" DVD.

Paramount also has inked a multiyear, first-look worldwide agreement with Parallel Entertainment Pictures, producers of the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again" DVD, for six DVD premieres, a feature film and a new DVD starring Larry the Cable Guy.

In addition, Paramount is working with Comedy Central to release performances by up-and-coming stand-up acts, Burrows said. "Comedy Central Presents ..." will be a branded DVD line spotlighting contemporary comedians in themed releases.

A major branding initiative also is afoot to play up the MTV and Nickelodeon lines. MTV's big DVD push is to resurrect the "Beavis and Butt-Head" line.