Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Coincedence, I think not! (possible plot spoilers).

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the new Exorcism of Emily ROSE that started this weekend is based on a true story of Anneliese Michel that took place in Klingenberg, Germany a few miles from Heilbronn. She died at age 23 and is buried in Kllingenberg.

A German movie that came out in February called Sophie Scholl, and is now opening this weekend here in the Netherlands is about a girl named Sophie Scholl who started a anti-Nazi group called the White ROSE during WWII in germany. She was born in Forchtenberg, about 15 or so miles northeast of Heilbronn and died at age 21.

So both have the word ROSE as a subject.
OK so Emily Rose is a made up name and the White Rose in German is Weisse Rose. So really nothing but the word is the same.

Both have young women who die in their early 20's. OK so many women die in their 20's (and for those saying that this is a plot spoiler, why make these movies if they don't die, they aren't comedies and you know that going into the movie. You can also find out about them by reading it, and if it really bothers you, well Anne Frank also dies young if you haven't read the book or seen the movie. You should have read the book in High School!) OK so Anneliese Michel was born in 1952 and died in 1976 and Sophie Schroll was born in 1921 and died in 1943, so they weren't even alive at the same time.

Both opened this weekend. OK, so Emily Rose opened this weekend in the U.S. and Sophie Scholl opened in Germany in February, but opened this weekend here in the Netherlands. So really not much of a coincidence.

and finally they are both from small town right near each other.

OK so not really much going on here except two movies that came out the same year (2005) about two young women that die in their early twenties and are from nearby locations (maybe only 20 miles apart) in Germany. Still I thought some of you would think it's interesting...
Old 09-18-05, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, very strange. I mean, it's pretty well known that no one in their early 20's die in close cities.
Old 09-18-05, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Next time put the movie name in the thread title if you plan on posting spoilers.
Old 09-18-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not only that, but at a recent screening of Sophie Scholl in Amsterdam a young man named Frederich was in the audience.

And last week, a New Yorker (New Amsterdam?) named Fred went to see The Excorcism of Emily Rose.
Old 09-18-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm shocked! Well, not that shocked.
Old 09-18-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok

K
Old 09-18-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Next time put the movie name in the thread title if you plan on posting spoilers.
Exactly.

"Coincedence, I think not! (possible plot spoilers)" is only helpful if we know what plot you're going to spoil. Now I'm a lot less interested in seeing "The Exorcism of Emily Rose." Thanks a lot.