Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dead End

Old 09-12-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead End

I couldn't seem to find a thread on this movie, I happened to rent blind, since it was a new release, and a rather indie movie it appeared.

It's a very interesting story, a mix between a horror and suspense movie which has a family trying to take a shortcut on Christmas Eve, and running into some troubles. The actors & actresses were superb in this, especially the dad, son and daughter. The movie was very good throughout, with lots of charcter development, and funny dark comedy moments. The ending wasn't the best, but I can easily overlook that for a terrific movie.

This is def worth renting or a blind buy imho, it has lots of funny moments that can be revisited.

Anybody else check this out, any thoughts? I was pleasantly suprised, and so was my wife, who hates horror movies.
Old 09-12-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Bogart one was better.
Old 09-12-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been interested in seeing this. Ray Wise is good and it got fairly good reviews in some British publications I read. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-12-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Good flick, I was a little dissapointed that it was full screen but that's a minor gripe.

I was actually freaked out more than once during the film and I loved the isolated feel it had.

I've been meaning to buy this one and will soon - definitely worthy of your cash.
Old 09-12-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like this one, too. Got the R2 release, which is WS.

It was funny seeing Mick Cain in this, as I watched him for years on "The Bold and the Beautiful".
Old 09-13-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to be the party pooper, but I really didn't get into this film at all. It wasn't dark enough to be scary and not clever enough to be funny. I really like Ray Wise, especially in Twin Peaks (which I thought combined comedy, quirky and at time frightening-but I'm a Lynch fan).
Old 09-13-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this one On Demand, and I was pleasantly surprised. Definatly worth a watch.
Old 09-13-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a Lynch fan, I saw this some time ago due to Ray Wise's participation, and really enjoyed aspects of it, up until the end. That effectively killed it for me. Thought I would be purchasing this until the horribly executed conclusion reared it's head.

Bummer to hear the R1 is only available in Fullscreen.