Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Where the Truth Lies: now NC-17 for an "explicit three way sex scene"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from imdb
The producers of director Atom Egoyan's controversial new film Where The Truth Lies have lost their appeal to overturn the restrictive NC-17 rating the movie was awarded. The film, which premieres at the Toronto Film Festival in Canada next week, features a threesome sex scene between Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth and Rachel Blanchard, which censors have deemed "sexually explicit." Thrusting in the scene required the rarely used NC-17 rating, usually reserved for the most overtly controversial movies. The rating means no one under age 17 can see the film in theatres. Egoyan and Blanchard appeared before censors in Los Angeles on Wednesday to boost the appeal but a panel of judges refused to be swayed. Egoyan insists the rating is "an unwarranted response given the story it's telling and the way it needed to be told."

has anyone seen this yet, to see how explicit it really is?
Old 09-09-05, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember, if there are penises, that automatically pushes it up a notch. And if there's any "gay touching," that would push it into NC-17.
Old 09-09-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Remember, if there are penises, that automatically pushes it up a notch. And if there's any "gay touching," that would push it into NC-17.
Well, penises are pretty controversial. Remember, when you see bush in flicks, 9 times out of 10 it's just that... bush. If they actually showed the roast beef, I'm guessing that would push it up a notch as well.

And there are plenty of R rated films with gay touching (your favorite, "Brokeback Mountain" for instance)
Old 09-09-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I've said countless times before, it's just a penis. Half the world's population has one and virtually every living, breathing person has seen one at some point. Why the hell is the depiction of an actual male sex organ in a mainstream (or even not-so-mainstream) film production such a huge threat?

But 19 stabbings, 10,000 gunshot wounds and countless other violent acts resulting in graphic death or dismemberment slide by the censors unscathed . . .
Old 09-09-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grunter
Half the world's population has one
Well, almost half.

Also:
:nopics:

Of Rachel Blanchard, of course.

K
Old 09-09-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well it is Kevin Bacon -- when does he not do full frontal?
Old 09-09-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder how this scene is done.

"Fingercuffs" style or what.

Next stop, ADULT TALK!
Old 09-09-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from what i have read from the director and what not, this scene is all one take and a pull back, and is crucial to the story and could not be trimmed.
Old 09-10-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The reason penises and sexuality in general is 'bad',at least in the U.S. Is because we have controlling facists using religion to shame us all and make us feel bad about our normal bodies and sexual functions.

For example,pretty damn graphic violence including grotesque aftermath footage and upclose details of what violent acts do to people can be seen on network tv in the CSI series.

But we still can't show a pair of breasts,or cock..and hell even asses get blurred out most of the time on basic cable/tv!

Why is violence more acceptable than harmless nudity/sexuality???

Until we deal with this reality,things will never change. And that is how certain facists want to keep it!
Old 09-10-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The rating is unwarented, though not unexpected, and the hoopla of this is in a word, simply typical.

Because an NC17 rating carries with it some truth that the studio hasn't caved in to an arcane rating system... I consider the rating a badge of pride to be worn proudly.

Considering that movie audience attendence is on the decline and DVD sales and home cinemas are quickly offering a better alternative to high priced sticky seats and dimmly lit screans... I say, keep those NC17s coming.

Jim

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
from imdb
The producers of director Atom Egoyan's controversial new film Where The Truth Lies have lost their appeal to overturn the restrictive NC-17 rating the movie was awarded. The film, which premieres at the Toronto Film Festival in Canada next week, features a threesome sex scene between Kevin Bacon, Colin Firth and Rachel Blanchard, which censors have deemed "sexually explicit." Thrusting in the scene required the rarely used NC-17 rating, usually reserved for the most overtly controversial movies. The rating means no one under age 17 can see the film in theatres. Egoyan and Blanchard appeared before censors in Los Angeles on Wednesday to boost the appeal but a panel of judges refused to be swayed. Egoyan insists the rating is "an unwarranted response given the story it's telling and the way it needed to be told."

has anyone seen this yet, to see how explicit it really is?
Old 09-10-05, 10:43 AM

I guess my question is. Do you people really want kids going into a movie like this. If you are 18, then who cares what the rating is? This is to stop kids, and I doubt any of you are affected.
Old 09-10-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu 17
I guess my question is. Do you people really want kids going into a movie like this. If you are 18, then who cares what the rating is? This is to stop kids, and I doubt any of you are affected.
Noone wants kids to see this movie, but it's up to the parents to prevent them. And it does effect us, since most megaplexes don't show NC-17 films.
Old 09-10-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this movie will probably make more money and veiwers on DVD, and seeing how popular those "unrated" DVD's are, i think this NC-17 rating is really a moot point.
Old 09-10-05, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
The reason penises and sexuality in general is 'bad',at least in the U.S. Is because we have controlling facists using religion to shame us all and make us feel bad about our normal bodies and sexual functions.
Normal?! Speak for yourself...
Old 09-11-05, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Stu 17
The "save the childrens" argument is seriously getting old.

I don't want to live in a world that's been child-proofed. Thank you very much.

Keep that family-friendly crap to yourselves, please.
Old 09-11-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The "save the childrens" argument is seriously getting old.

I don't want to live in a world that's been child-proofed. Thank you very much.

Keep that family-friendly crap to yourselves, please.
Old 09-11-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 233 Posts
I don't want to see Kevin Bacon's Sausage nor any other guys for that matter.
Old 09-12-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
After sitting through thousands of tits and bushes, it's time for more male frontal nudity in films.
Old 09-12-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
:nopics:

Of Rachel Blanchard, of course.
Hmmm.....might have to see this movie now...
Old 09-12-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Production stills: http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/im...the_Truth_Lies
Old 09-12-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why?

Is it the "I don't want to get caught looking or I might be considered gay" thing, again?

Or is there some real reason why you cannot bring yourself to look at a natural part of the human body?

I effin' hate that locker room boast bullshit.
Old 09-12-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
Why?

Is it the "I don't want to get caught looking or I might be considered gay" thing, again?

Or is there some real reason why you cannot bring yourself to look at a natural part of the human body?
It could simply be that he doesn't compare favorably to movie star penis. If true, I wouldn't want to be reminded of that everytime I went to the movies.
Old 09-12-05, 02:50 PM
Banned

So amusing when that's all that's in the post. That says more than nothing at all.
Old 09-12-05, 02:58 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 609 Likes on 349 Posts
We need art to post in this thread.
Old 09-12-05, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandoman
We need art to post in this thread.
*yawn*

thank you.

NEXT!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.