Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I need someone to explain Oldboy to me...like you would to a 5 year old (spoilers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I need someone to explain Oldboy to me...like you would to a 5 year old (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be doubly cautious as this is a particularly spoiler-sensitive movie:
Spoiler:
Question 1: what is the significance of the footprints in the snow at the end?
Question 2: who is the hypnotist and where else does she appear in the movie?
Question 3: Was Oh Dae-Su hyponotized while confronting Lee (the villain)? Why the hell did he cut off his tongue? Is it because he was so worried Mi-Ro would find out that she is his daughter? I don't get Dae-Su's subserviant behavior.

I thought it was a good movie, just slightly opaque. Also the ersatz-Fincher twisiting story seemed a little forced. So little was explained from the beginning that they had to pack an immense amount of exposition into later scenes. The acting was uniformly superb, though.
Old 09-03-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Spoiler:
1. I took the footprints as the "Monster" part of Oh-Daesu leaving him, which is what the hyponotist said would happen.
2. She is seen very briefly during his imprisonment. I think she sits down on his bed just before he wakes up in the field, in his mind.
3. I don't think he was hypnotized, at least it wasn't fully implied to me. He cut out his tongue because that is what Lee said had killed his sister.

Last edited by FinkPish; 09-03-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Spoiler:
1. I took the footprints as the "Monster" part of Oh-Daesu leaving him, which is what the hyponotist said would happen.
Spoiler:
I haven't seen the movie since it was in the theaters, but I was left with the distinct impression that it was the "normal" part of Oh-Daedu that had left...that the "monster" was the stronger side and had stayed
Old 09-04-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clemente
Spoiler:
I haven't seen the movie since it was in the theaters, but I was left with the distinct impression that it was the "normal" part of Oh-Daedu that had left...that the "monster" was the stronger side and had stayed
Spoiler:
Well, I think it is definitely open to interpretation. I just rented it again recently, and the last shot of his face makes it seem as if he might have retained the "monster" side of himself, if not fully, then at least partially. But to me, the footprints were symbolic of something leaving him; I just took it to be the "monster," maybe because I wanted him to be free of it. It definitely wasn't clear-cut, though.
Old 10-09-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What type of person would even explain Oldboy to a 5 year old?
Old 10-09-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
What type of person would even explain Oldboy to a 5 year old?

So they can gear up for the Disney remake starring Lindsay Lohan and Haley Joel Osment....
Old 12-11-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I watched this again (what a great movie!), and here's my addition to this thread:

Spoiler:
I thought they should have ended the movie at the scene when the elevator opens, just after Lee killed himself, and not introduced the "soothing" hypnosis ending that follows. Seems like it's just softening the blow, but doesn't add anything to the movie's ending.
Old 12-11-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ShagMan
OK, I watched this again (what a great movie!), and here's my addition to this thread:

Spoiler:
I thought they should have ended the movie at the scene when the elevator opens, just after Lee killed himself, and not introduced the "soothing" hypnosis ending that follows. Seems like it's just softening the blow, but doesn't add anything to the movie's ending.
Totally agree. I remember the fisrt time I saw it I immediately praised every second of it, the second time I felt that the
Spoiler:
hypnosis
scene didn't fit, and on my third viewing, I hated it
Spoiler:
(the hypnosis)
completely and thought it should have been left out.

Still a great movie regardless.
Old 12-12-05, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
OK, I thought that the footsteps in the snow was an accident of the hypnotist and I thought that it meant that he was probably going to find out who he was again. I think it is a better ending if you think of it like that instead of some sort of "monster" crap. The whole idea of him having the hypnotist was for him to forget what sort of just happened with the revealing of him being her father.

I think it makes it a whole lot creepier, too.
Old 03-10-12, 05:32 AM

Re: I need someone to explain Oldboy to me...like you would to a 5 year old (spoilers

This thread is 8 years old, it would be very interesting if you guys are still here. What loyalty!

I disagree - I think the ending added a lot to the movie.

The
Spoiler:
hypnosis
at the end is what made me start going to the internets!

I just keep thinking of questions in my head..

Spoiler:

Footsteps:
When he exits his dream, his back is facing the monster.
When he comes to, there are small prints leading away behind him.. (to his right, when he stands). This must be the monster that knows his secret.
The other steps to his left are back to where he was first sitting with the hypnotist.

I love these endings because there's many things to try in your head:

I wonder if the hypnotism didn't fail. Maybe "the secret" is knowledge of the daughter, maybe it's something else?

What would you do?

I might have had the hypnotist remove my love for her (which was clearly real) and into the future find a way to hypnotise the daughter to forget me.

As a father, what would you do in this situation?

Old 03-10-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: I need someone to explain Oldboy to me...like you would to a 5 year old (spoilers

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
So they can gear up for the Disney remake starring Lindsay Lohan and Haley Joel Osment....
I hope they aren't driving.