Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office 9/2-9/5

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office 9/2-9/5

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004: 2,274,416,974
2005: 2,130,750,262

Maybe that looks close, but I can't say I blame them for complaining about a $145 million loss. Think of it like this: you've got a film that you're expecting to open for $216 million. Instead, it opens for $72 million. Now you see the impact. Sure, this hit was spread out across the top twelve films of the year, but they'd have to add (not replace, add) a thirteenth film to this year's list, one that opened in the range of the summer's top-10, just to equal last year's totals.

Don't get me wrong, I won't shed a tear for Hollywood...I think it's actually good for them (or, at least, for us). However, I do think there's more of an impact than y'all are giving credit for.

-JP
Old 09-06-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last summer had three monster sequels (Shrek, Spider-man, and Harry Potter) and numerous unexpected hits. You also have to remember that year was kicked off by the biggest unexpected hit of them all (The Passion of the Christ). Of course this year isn't going to compare to last year at this rate, but this summer isn't as "awful" as some are making it out to be.

Universal is collecting profit on films like Kicking and Screaming, Land of the Dead, and The 40 Year Old Virgin (all three films were done on the cheap). Warner is doing great with hits like Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dukes of Hazzard (which is already in the clear), and March of the Penguins. Their sister company New Line had an unexpected blockbuster out of Wedding Crashers and who would've thought Monster-in-Law would've made more than $10 million? Fox got good numbers out of Mr. and Mrs. Smith and (sadly) Fantastic Four. Hell, DreamWorks almost made $200 million off Madagascar (a film in which many of us thought would do lackluster numbers due to it's crowded Memorial Day weekend). Even Paramount is doing well this summer with flicks like Longest Yard, War of the Worlds, and Four Brothers; and that studio usually comes up in the red every year! This summer was good to the studios if you ask me...

Unless you're Sony, in which they're pretty much fucked with failures like Bewitched, Stealth, and Lords of Dogtown.

And we still got more hits on the horizon for this fall and winter. We still have The Chronicles of Narnia, the latest Harry Potter sequel, and a little film known as King Kong on our way. And who knows, maybe we'll get a hit out of a little film known as Serenity (hope hope).