Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flightplan - New Jodie F movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Flightplan - New Jodie F movie

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I guess I just wasn't being as critical as some people were going into this. If you go in just expecting to be entertained for 90 minutes, you will be. If you go in over-analyzing every piece of that 90 minutes, apparently you won't.
I'm not sure if it's considered over-analyzing to be staggered by the ridiculousness of a plot contrivance that counts on
Spoiler:
not a single person making eye contact with a little girl on the plane.
It's just outright stupid. Small screwups here and there (of which there were plenty) are OK, but that was the fundamental cornerstone of the whole movie!

Last edited by Peep; 09-23-05 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-23-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was just OK... at 90minutes the movie still felt long, which was surprising. All the "twists" are telegraphed and the trailers really reveal far too much for anything to really be a surprise. Foster's performance is decent enough, but it's nothing new for her and certainly not as compelling as her performance in Panic Room. I liked some of it, but not enough to really recommend seeing it in the theatre... wait for disc...save you cash for Serenity next week.

MATT
Old 09-23-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Dude, you don't have to be overanalytical to know that this movie had huge plotholes all over the place. While I had reservations about seeing this movie at first, I tend to find that Jodie Foster has a pretty good record of taking any movie with any material to star in (SotL, Contact, Panic Room) and make something out of it. Boy did she screw up with this one! I was entertained alright, but only at the movie's pretentiousness and blatant disregard for reality (even movie realities don't allow for the kind of ineptness in this one).
Spoiler:
I was surprised Peter Saarsgard allowed himself to play a villain again so soon after Skeleton Key. If he keeps this up audiences are automatically going to know he's the villain just because he's present. Since the Arabs had nothing to do with the abduction, I cannot help but wonder why they were put into Foster's mind in the first place; it doesn't even make sense from a Red Herring perspective. Also, don't tell me Foster's character wouldn't have gone to jail at the end, despite finding her daughter to prove she wasn't crazy, she pulled a lot of crazy ass shit you just don't do on a plane.
Old 09-24-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, that was disappointing. The vitriolic word of mouth I've heard about this film had me expecting a truly spectacular suckfest, but it was far short of that. It's just a moderately entertaining thriller requiring some suspension of disbelief that works well in some ways and telegraphs itself in others. Interestingly, the audience at my showing applauded.

While I didn't have much of a problem with the film,
Spoiler:
the Arab stuff was really stupid

das
Old 09-24-05, 03:17 AM

I was able to watch this movie on Thursday for free and boy was I glad I didn't have to PAY for this garbage. AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE:

Spoiler:
Ok, so they pretty much lied in the trailer. I'm thinking that the studio knows it's got a stinker on it's hands, so they decided to make it seem like it was a psychological thiller instead of a really bad action film. Ok, first thing, the air marshal tells the pilot that Jodie Foster needs 50 million dollars transfered to her account or else she will blow up the plane. Then 10 minute later, the pilot say "ok, it's done." Wow, how ridiculous is this??!!! So the pilot just takes the word of the Air Marshall w/o any proof and is able to successfully transfer the 50 millions dollars??!! Also, ok, at least 4 people were involved and for what?? 50 MILLION DOLLARS??!! They went through the trouble of killing Jodie Foster's husband for a cut of 50 MILLION DOLLARS?!! What I did learn from this movie was that if you do have an evil air marshall after you, the FIRST thing to do is find a REALLY heavy book and throw it somewhere. Evil Air Marshalls are easily fooled by heavy sounds. Also, I found it very cliche and dated that they HAD to pull the "Arabs on a Plane are suspicious card." I call this very lazy writing. I mean, if you ARE going to use this, at least be smart about it. Jodie Foster, DID see some dudes looking into her daughter's room. At the end, we find that the Arabs on the plane, where NOT these guys. So is the movie trying to tell us that ALL Arabs LOOK ALIKE??!!! Then comes the end. Ok, so she had the air marshall trapped in that room, did she REALLY have to use the detonator?? Couldn't she just have locked him in that room, gone out with her daughter (her proof) and gotten some help?!! Also, by doing this, didn't in a way she endanger both her and her daugther's life? Wasn't there a possibility that that door wouldn't of taken the impact?? No need to blow up part of a very expensive plane. Then when she comes out with her daughter, that was one of the FUNNIEST parts EVER!! Everyone saying "It's her daughter!!" was very corny and forced. Man, this is one of the WORST movies I've EVER seen. Mostly cause I feel INSULTED that the writers thought the audience would buy ANY of this.
Old 09-24-05, 10:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
Spoiler:
Ok, so they pretty much lied in the trailer.
They always do.
Old 09-24-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While Jodie Foster puts in a good performance, almost to the point where it really does feel like everyone else on the plane was watching her give an acting clinic at times, the 3rd act does make you scratch your head and it just becomes more and more implausible due to far too many plotholes.

See it at a matinee if you're a Jodie fan, but know that it's not as good it could have been, and relies on too many cliches to elevate it out of the thriller genre.

I give it a 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 09-24-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
You guys are being WAY too hard on this film, which beats anything we've seen in the theater for several months now. The plot does have some problems, but Jodie's performance is top-notch. For that reason alone it's worth seeing.
Old 09-24-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by scott shelton
They always do.
Given how terrible the trailer made this movie look and given what I've read in this thread, this was a film that had a very truthfull trailer. I'm glad I avoided this film.
Old 09-25-05, 03:12 PM

I liked this movie alot. As did the audience of 100 people in the theatre with me. Most of which spontaneously applauded after the movie was over. So all these people who hate this movie, you are in a definte minority. it was fun. there are plot holes of course. but not so obvious that it spoiled the enjoyment of the movie. war of the worlds much worse. you guys are way tough on this movie. if you liked panic room you will like this movie. very similar movies in a lot of ways. not perfect but very fun. alot better than 80 percent of the crap that comes out. also i liked the script of this movie it kept moving and kept you guessing. but arab part was obvious.

Last edited by sabre; 09-26-05 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-25-05, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by sabre
but arab part was obvious.
Then why even put it in the script??!! Don't you think that's just lazy writing? Wow, everyone clapped? Where do you live?
Old 09-25-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Two Thumbs Up from Ebert and Roeper...both seemed to like the movie a lot.
Old 09-25-05, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the beginning was great but the 3rd act and the ending was so bad and laughable. I would give the film a C+.
Old 09-25-05, 08:41 PM
Banned

Sabre,
guess it's you and me and ebert and roeper...and both of our audiences...
Old 09-25-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Two Thumbs Up from Ebert and Roeper...both seemed to like the movie a lot.
they must have really layed a spread out for these guys...or Jodie Foster has pics of them together in the nude....

I didn't see it...just came into the thread to get some closure on the trailer...wanted to know if she was crazy or if the kid was kidnapped.
Old 09-26-05, 05:05 AM

the reason the arab part is obvious, is that no one in liberal hollywood has the guts to show arabs doing that right now. the fact that they show heads being chopped off on the internet is only a political statement not pure evil of a select number of arabs, not all arabs by any means. we all have been pre conditioned against racial profiling, you know liberal hollywood and jodie foster do not have the balls to play into those stereotypes. the movie is meant to show are parnoia with arabs when we should be afraid of other things. can't get spoilers to work.
Old 09-26-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by QuikSilver
I thought the beginning was great but the 3rd act and the ending was so bad and laughable. I would give the film a C+.
Same here. This applied to Red Eye as well.
Old 09-26-05, 08:21 AM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
I saw this Saturday night and was entertained. I didn't feel like nitpicking at every small detail, but rather enjoyed the movie for what it was - mindless entertainment fodder.
Old 09-26-05, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I saw this Saturday night and was entertained. I didn't feel like nitpicking at every small detail, but rather enjoyed the movie for what it was - mindless entertainment fodder.
Exactly. And apparently you're not alone.
Old 09-26-05, 09:48 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Other than
Spoiler:
the C4 not disintegrating the entire plane
, I was good to go. Hard for me to imagine what some of you guys want out of a thriller. from me!
Old 09-26-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Other than
Spoiler:
the C4 not disintegrating the entire plane
, I was good to go. Hard for me to imagine what some of you guys want out of a thriller. from me!
Spoiler:
A kidnapping scheme that wouldn't have been ruined by one person noticing the damn girl and saying "yeah, I definitely saw them together," maybe?

The film was very tense and well done, but the plot was just totally ridiculous. Who's going to go to the trouble of concocting some elaborate kidnapping/murder scheme, then leave it 100% to chance that neither a single member of the flight crew nor a single passenger would remember the girl? Or leave it 100% to chance that Jodie Foster's character (who just lost a husband and is so wound up she's taking medication for anxiety) would fall asleep? If another passenger or crewmember saw the girl, or if Jodie's character never fell asleep or woke up unexpectedly, the entire plot elaborate plot fails. I can suspend disbelief just fine if the writers will give me something to work with, but that's just stupid.
Old 09-26-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Fair enough, but it seemed clear to me that the director was subverted reality to a point to convey the message that nobody matters to anybody else. The whole "what makes you so important" motif. Yes, perhaps it suspends belief a bit tighter than can be comfortably swallowed, but sice it was at the behest of a moral/philosophical message and/or quandry, I forgive it, because it still leaves a thinking cineaste with something to mull over after the credits have rolled...
Old 09-26-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson

Stuff like Van Helsing, The Mummy Movies, and Sahara are what I call mindless entertainment fodder, this was just stupidity. While I don't think you are one of them, there are those around here that will not nitpick a movie like this (that takes place in the "real" world) and call it mindless entertainment only, but tear other stuff a new one if it's on the same level in terms of stupidity but takes place in a more generic fantasy realm. Stupid double standards!

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 09-26-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 01:09 PM

The part that none of the crew remembered her daughter didn't bother me as much. I mean, come on, there were 400 passangers in the plane, would YOU remember all of them? Also, the girl was really quiet, so she didn't really stand out. Also, IF she didn't really have a kid, like the crew said, then WHY did she get on the plane first?
Old 09-26-05, 05:28 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

guess I won't be seeing this one, probably watch it when its makes it run on TV.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.