Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ring Two Review thread (part 2)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-26-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 197 Likes on 133 Posts

The first review thread was closed and I couldn't really find another thread that was suitable so I created this one.......please, no bitching about duplicate threads, the mods will close this one if they feel it's necessary (because of me not finding something similar in my search):

First, I can't for the life of me understand why people are bashing this flick to no end, I liked it better than the first even though a lot of the awesome visuals are missing.

Story wise, yeah it ain't perfect but you can still follow it easily and it makes sense, again, I don't know what the problem is here either.

My main gripes with the film would be with showing Samara a little too much, the length of the film, and a few "what the hell?" moments (i.e.
Spoiler:
the fridge is moving on it's own, the stove is in a firing rage, lights flickering on and off......Rachel then runs up stairs and the fisrt thing she does is bitch about a window being open?
)

But none of the above really ruined the film for me. I will admit the best place to trim this movie would have been where the young boy "walks" home and sits on the couch for a good 15 minutes.

The ending was even better the first I was pretty damn creeped out by
Spoiler:
Samara crawling up the well

I bought the movie blind and will definitely watch it again.

Hey, I know - to each his or her own, me persoanlly; I thought it was pretty good.
Old 08-26-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Not as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it. Extended felt too long - it should've been kept under 2hrs.

**1/2
Old 08-26-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I both watched it this week, and although we loved the first one we both thought this movie dragged on and was essentially inferior to the first. There were a lot of "cheap scares" that didn't have any payoff. I'm not talking about the type where a cat jumps out at you or a loud noise goes off. One example would be when she's in the basement of the farm house. They show the lights going off one by one as "something" gets closer to Rachel, then she simply gets spooked and runs out of the house. Poorly done in my opinion.
Old 08-26-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poorly done in my opinion.

Ring 2 will definitely be in my Top 10 (if not Top 5) of the worst films of 2005. For those CGI deer if nothing else.
Old 08-26-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The fifteen minute short was better than the whole film. It would have been cool if they expanded that instead of going in the direction they did.
Old 08-26-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
The fifteen minute short was better than the whole film. It would have been cool if they expanded that instead of going in the direction they did.
I was just coming in to say the same thing.
Old 08-27-05, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched it last night with the wife and definitely didn't enjoy it as much as the first one. The first Ring had that wonderful sense of dread that kept building and you were seeing the "mystery" unravel as it went along. I just felt like this one had too many Samara appearances, too much water, was too long, and too many bad cgi deer.

I like the beginning of Ebert's review where he says "I am not sure I entirely understand the deer".
Old 08-27-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understood the deer just as I'd understood the horse in The Ring. The Ring, however, was one of the most chilling movies I'd seen in a while (I just saw it a few weeks ago for the first time), and the second just didn't deliver for me. It wasn't a 'bad' movie per se, but it wasn't something I'd ever watch again. I guess I expected more from the director of the Japanese versions.

= J
Old 08-30-05, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Extended felt too long - it should've been kept under 2hrs.
I agree, I kept dozing in and out of sleep, to make a horror film so deathly dull is not a good move.
Old 08-30-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mistakenly had high expectations for the sequel too as it was directed by Hideo Nakata. Movie wasn't bad..just incredibly mediocre in the sense that it had none of the dread and tension that the first film had.
Old 08-30-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first half really bored me, and although it did pick up some steam in the second half and I thought it had a decent ending, it wasn't enough to pull it out of mediocrity.
Old 08-30-05, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't mean to shill two of my threads in a row but f' it, it's a forum:

I agree, the movie is way too long just like the first. I don't mind it too much but I think adding and additonal 28 minutes (I think it's 28 minutes) to a movie that's apparently 'unrated' but shows no signs of why it should be unrated........is too much.
Old 08-30-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
I agree, the movie is way too long just like the first. I don't mind it too much but I think adding and additonal 28 minutes (I think it's 28 minutes) to a movie that's apparently 'unrated' but shows no signs of why it should be unrated........is too much.
I believe 20 minutes were added back in. (still too much I agree) And as is pretty standard nowadays, the unrated title simply means that version wasn't resubmitted to the MPAA. It may or may not contain anything that would change it's previous rating.
Old 08-30-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ring Two Review thread (part 2)

I watched this for the first time since theaters and Jesus Christ was this terrible. I honestly don't know how they could have made a worse sequel to a very chilling original movie. It's long, boring, and not scary in the slightest. I honestly don't know how they fucked up so badly.
Old 08-31-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I love the Ring 2?
Old 08-31-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Wow, I love the Ring 2?
To answer your question, no, you really shouldn't.
Old 08-31-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,916 Likes on 1,277 Posts

It was OK. but mostly I am partial because it was filmed on the Oregon Coast. Kinda wish these were included in the upcoming Arrow Blu-ray release of the Japanese originals.

Props to the thread bump for giving me something to boost my post-count on.
Old 08-31-19, 07:43 PM
Banned

Nowhere near as riveting as the first movie.

But how could it be? Now that we know what watching the paranormal video portends, and all the weirdness of the week leading to Samara's eventual real-world manifestation - the uneasy, unknowing dread has been removed. There's no shock coming this time.

'The Ring' was the first horror movie in decades that had truly made me feel afraid. The sequel did nothing to me. No fear felt. No effect whatsoever, other than "oh, hey - that bathtub water special effect is pretty cool".

Using the good old classic rating system, 'The Ring' I gave 4 stars. A must-see horror classic.

Ring 2 gets 2 stars. An okay timewaster.
Old 11-14-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,174 Likes on 915 Posts

Watching this for the first time on HBO. I always expected a lot worse but itís really kind of okay for what it is. Not as good as the first by a long shot but itís watchable enough.