Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who'd have thought....the Hollywood slump is based on dull movies!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/mo...gewanted=print
Old 08-24-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was excited that studio execs might read this and make some changes, but then I remembered that none of them can read.
Old 08-24-05, 12:22 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the task so large, and so very complex, Hollywood is still grappling with how to broach solutions.

Mr. Lynton (chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment) said he would focus on making "only movies we hope will be really good."
Old 08-24-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mr. Lynton (chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment) said he would focus on making "only movies we hope will be really good."
Brilliant!!!

Old 08-24-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At Universal, Mr. Shmuger said he intends to reassert "time and care and passion" in movie production. Some of his own summer movies, he conceded, should never have been made.

He declined to name them.
In order to preserve some element of mystery, I assume.
Old 08-24-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
This belief that we are in a slump is pretty stupid.
Old 08-24-05, 05:37 AM
Suspended

We're talking about the eminent death of "the theatre experience" which, as far as I'm concerned, happened a long time ago. I'm not one to say "I told you so", but I told you so (see threads: "Are the movies really dying?", Parts I and II).

Last week, John Fithian, the president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, accused Robert A. Iger , the incoming chief executive of Walt Disney, of leveling a "death threat" at theater owners for having suggested that the lesson to be drawn from the slump is that moviegoers want films to be accessible in theaters and on DVD simultaneously.

[...] Mr. Iger's conclusion - that consumers want the choice of seeing movies in their homes at the same time as in the theater - is being reached by others in the industry as well. But it remains contentious, resisted not only by the owners of theater chains. Mr. Lynton of Sony was adamant that the theatrical experience should be protected, while Mr. Shaye said he was still "on the fence" on the subject.

Warren Lieberfarb, a former Warner Brothers executive who was a main advocate of the DVD in the early 90's, warned that going to the movies had become too expensive over all, given the excellent quality of home theater. "It's not just the DVD. It's not just the DVD window," he said. "It's the flat-panel television and the sound system, with the DVD option, that has radically changed the quality of the in-home experience. The home theater has arrived." As a result, he said, "you have to change the business model of the movie business."
Even Disney thinks movie theatres should disappear altogether. Won't be long now...

Last edited by baracine; 08-24-05 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-24-05, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
As someone who saw Monster-in-Law 34 times, I don't see how there can be a slump.
Old 08-24-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

its funny, in ew magazine they said that "herbie" did quite good overall since it made alot of money overall (its at 62 million) especially when the opening box office week wasnt' that gread.
Old 08-24-05, 07:35 AM
Suspended

1) There is no slump. This is all just in comparison to the record breaking year of 2004.
2) Mr. Lynton said he would focus on making "only movies we hope will be really good."??? So up until now they haven't had this approach?
3) Why do they still not understand that GOING to the movies is a miserable experience, no matter how good or bad the actual movie might be?
Old 08-24-05, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
3) Why do they still not understand that GOING to the movies is a miserable experience, no matter how good or bad the actual movie might be?
I still happen to love going to the movies, it's just too bad there's nothing worth watching there.........on a positive note, when I went to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" I was basically the only one there and this was at a brand new stadium seating theater....it was awesome maybe when the place closes down I'll just buy it and make it my own personal cinema center and I'll play actual cool movies and rake in the cash
Old 08-24-05, 09:49 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also love going to the movies. In theaters, there's a level of immersion and involvement in what's happening onscreen that I've never seen duplicated in a home set-up.
Old 08-24-05, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrE
I also love going to the movies. In theaters, there's a level of immersion and involvement in what's happening onscreen that I've never seen duplicated in a home set-up.
Recommended reading:
Old 08-24-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds

This is it for me. My GF and I were right near a theater with some time to kill after shopping and a movie we wanted to see was starting in 15 minutes. We passed cuz that close to start time we couldn't be sure we could get the last row, and if we don't, it is inevitable we'll get our seats kicked, which takes us right out of the movie. (Almost got into a fight at War of the Worlds over it.)

I'd pay extra and see films three times as often as I do now if they would do either reserved seating, or control the distractions. (Seat kicking, cell phones, talking, etc.)
Old 09-14-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame