Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big screw up? Why do Yoda and Obi Wan call him the ''Emperor''

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After Obi Wan discovers that Anakin pledged his allegiance to Palpatine:

OBI-WAN: I can't watch any more.

OBI-WAN switches off the hologram. The TWO JEDI stand in silence for a few moments.

YODA: Destroy the Sith, we must.

OBI-WAN: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.

YODA: To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not.

OBI-WAN: He is like my brother ... I cannot do it.

YODA: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is . . . Consumed by Darth Vader.

OBI-WAN: How could it have come to this?

YODA: To question, no time there is.

OBI-WAN: I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don't know where to look.
How did they know to call him the "Emperor" yet? He declared himself Emperor while addressing the senate and no one had heard that word. And certainly not Yoda and Obi Wan when in the Jedi temple.

Is that a big screw up on Lucas' part? It would have made more sense if Obi Wan said "Sidious" or Palpatine"

Last edited by Class316; 08-19-05 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 01:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bail Organa could of told them.
Old 08-19-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was mentioned back in one of the other threads when the movie first came out... don't ask me which one -- there were too many.

Anyway, yes, it is definitely a goof. There's no way that Obi-Wan could know this, given the way the movie progresses. I have to assume (since Episode III seems to have a ton of stuff that landed on the cutting room floor) that there was a connecting scene that has gone missing. Maybe Obi/Yoda watching Palpatine in the Senate over holonet or something?
Old 08-19-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fok
Bail Organa could of told them.
No, Bail goes off to the Senate while Obi/Yoda go to the temple. In the Senate, Palpatine forms the Empire, while Obi/Yoda alter the signal and investigate the security scans.

The way the movie is cut at least, this all happens at the same time. Obi-Wan and Yoda are alone in the temple while Palapatine declares himself Emperor. There was no way for them to know... and certainly no reason for Obi-Wan to use the title so casually (twice!) given that he's held the position for all of 5 minutes.
Old 08-19-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only clue was when Obi Wan saw the archives Palpatine told Anakin "bring peace to the Empire". But again, he could not have used the title so casually.
Old 08-19-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Errrr....the force?

(Man that's your answer for everything)
Old 08-20-05, 09:55 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was just common sense. He was pretty much emperor at the end of AOTC. The powers were just supposed to be temporary.

Now that they knew he was the sith lord, had the clone army under his control and had killed nearly all the Jedi it was obvious that he was not going to give back those powers and was in fact Emperor.
Old 08-20-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You guys overlooked the obvious; Lucas is a crap writer. I'm willing to bet no-one he surrounds himself with pointed it out to him either.
Old 08-20-05, 11:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's more of a character screw up than a continuity screw up. I find it harder to believe those two would refer to Palpatine as "the Emperor" amongst themselves at that early point. Even if they were aware of the news, it seems strange they would call him this so soon. They've known of this guy as Palpatine or Chancellor for so long, then he turns on them and changes his title, and they automatically start referring to him as "the Emperor". Seems to me there would be some resistance there at first, at least amongst each other.
Old 08-20-05, 01:20 PM

Citizen Kane couldn't withstand the level of scrutiny you guys place Star Wars under. Yes, it's a goof, but nothing worth batting an eye over.

Last edited by Terrell; 08-20-05 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-20-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Perhaps Lucas will have the line redubbed for the DVD as he had Natalie's "yes" redubbed in the AOTC DVD?

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-20-05 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What "yes" did he redub??

IMO it would be smart if he redubbed it to "Palpatine" or "the Chancellor".

Lucas approved the crappy Boba Fett dubs. Why not do a good dub?
Old 08-21-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I was sure I had replied to this thread then noticed it was a enw one on an old topic. Although it's not easy to find in a search, and the previous thread I did find wasn't posted in by me even though I'm positive I posted in a thread on this topic

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=palpatine

basically what I said originally was that they saw the emperor mention the empire in a recording. Not much of a jump for them to assume he'd be the one leading it
Old 08-21-05, 10:54 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Class316
What "yes" did he redub??
When she had fallen out of the ship and landed on the sand dune and the clone trooper comes and asks her if she's ok.

In the theatrical cut she sat up and said "yes" and it was awkward. On the DVD it's been redubbed and she kind of moans and says "uh huh" or something similar.
Old 08-21-05, 06:46 PM

After Obi Wan discovers that Anakin pledged his allegiance to Palpatine:

OBI-WAN: I can't watch any more.

OBI-WAN switches off the hologram. The TWO JEDI stand in silence for a few moments.

YODA: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is . . . Consumed by Darth Vader.

OBI-WAN: How could it have come to this?

YODA: To question, no time there is.

OBI-WAN: I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don't know where to look.

How did they know to call him the "Emperor" yet? He declared himself Emperor while addressing the senate and no one had heard that word. And certainly not Yoda and Obi Wan when in the Jedi temple.

Is that a big screw up on Lucas' part? It would have made more sense if Obi Wan said "Sidious" or Palpatine"
How did Yoda know he was called Vader already?

I agree with the previous poster that the cutting makes things seem they're happening at once and the last hour in particular seems to take place in one day when it could have been many months.
Old 08-22-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There’s two methods Yoda could have known to call him Darth Vader.

1) Via the force he could have already known, since he knew to warn Obi Wan not to look at the archive footage.

2) It was heard in the footage.
Old 08-24-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As mentioned previously, Obi-Wan does hear the word Empire mentioned in the recording, but it still makes no sense for him to refer to Palpatine as the Emperor immediately after. Especially given how he calls him the Chancellor repeatedly throughout the remainder of the film.

Another example of shoddy writing by Lucas.
Old 08-24-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea it is a weird how this slipped by. I hope it's dubbed.
Old 08-24-05, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by uhftv
How did Yoda know he was called Vader already?
Didnt he see the footage where Anakin was kneeling before the Emperor? He called him Vader then. I dont remember for sure.
Old 08-24-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Didnt he see the footage where Anakin was kneeling before the Emperor? He called him Vader then. I dont remember for sure.
Yes that's correct. Plus he probably already knew via the force. So no problem there.
Old 08-24-05, 01:03 PM

Yes that's correct. Plus he probably already knew via the force. So no problem there.
Yeah, and he might have heard something about the Emperor in there. Who knows....ill check it out when I get home.