Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

American Psycho

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Psycho

I enjoyed watching Mr. Bale play his role as Bruce Wayne/Batman, so I decided to watch one of his earlier films, American Psycho. His performace was outstanding however, I have a quick question. Something I never understood. What happened in the end?

Spoiler:
He walks into Paul Allen's apartment and it's totally clean / being resold, he confeses to his lawyer and tells him everything and the lawyer thinks its a joke. His secretary looks through his planner and sees all the disturbing drawings.

But what the hell happened? Was he imagining everything or did he really kill all those people?????

Unfortunately, reading the book is not in my near future and I really want to know what happened!!!
Old 08-17-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
He imagined it.
Old 08-17-05, 02:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I knew what this thread would be about before I even clicked it.
Old 08-18-05, 09:03 AM

Thank you!
Old 08-18-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you listen to the audio commentaries on the new DVD,
Spoiler:
it really happened. Some of the events of the last 20 minutes were exaggerated in his twisted mind, but he apparently did commit all those murders.

I guess it's left open to interpretation though.
Old 08-18-05, 10:32 AM

Are you seriouS!!! Now, I'm at a loss! If anyone read the book, what happens at the end? Did he kill all those people or did he imagine it all???
Old 08-18-05, 10:48 AM
sdk

The movie = He did kill all the people this is comming from the director and screenwriter.

The book = He did not kill anyone and this is comming from the author brett easton ellis. He said so in an interview a couple of years ago.

So

Movie = Crasy killer
Book= Just crasy

And there is no real way of telling in the book either but we do get hints every now and then. Such as during a car chase scene in the book. He sudenly start refering to himself in a third person in the middle of a chapter. As if he was writing about himself or watching a movie about it happening. And the whole thing about the atm machine talking/communicating to him, can give you hints about it.

Edit.

And you should read the books as it is an amasing book. I have read it three times myself and it is the only book i have ever reread. And while you are at it you should also read
Less than zero.
The informers.
Rules of atraction (his worst book)
Glamorama.

They are all exelent books.
Old 08-18-05, 10:56 AM

Thanks, now I'm gonna have to find time to read the book!
Old 08-18-05, 11:00 AM

Just for the record, I fuckin' love this movie
Old 08-18-05, 01:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guess I'll pick this one up then.
Old 08-18-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have yet to read the book, but I have picked up a copy.....I need to get around to doing that at some point....

but my take from the film has always been that the murders did happen (although many people disagree with that and I can also see that as a very valid interpretation). If he simply imagined the whole thing, the entire dark satire of 1980s greed and vanity sort of vanishes. The reason he returns to that apartment to find all the bodies gone is because they were cleaned up by the real estate people who did not want a scandal about their precious property. The woman who tells him to leave and never come back speaks to him in a very odd way as if to suggest that she suspects it was probably him responsible for the bodies....... It's that scene in particular that convinced me the murders really did happen. Also he was able to get away with his confession about the murder because all his "friends" and co-workers as so self-obsessed that they can't even tell each other apart and confuse each other so easily.....so the guy he did confess to thought it was all a big joke because he thinks some other guy is Bateman and Batemen is someone else. The entire movie is a scathing critique of 1980s capitalism. Of course all the murders and other events in the film are EXTREMELY exaggerated in his mind, because he also is completely nuts.....
Old 08-18-05, 01:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Loved the movie. Haven't read the book, but have been meaning to.
Old 08-18-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....an ex-girlfriend of mine didn't like me reading the book....she threw it in the trash!
Old 09-09-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
finally watched this today.
it got GTA there towards the end. kind of funny when the cop car explodes and he looks at the gun funny
the end had me totally confused though as I too wasn't sure if he really did it or if it was all just in his head
Old 09-10-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
finally watched this today.
it got GTA there towards the end. kind of funny when the cop car explodes and he looks at the gun funny
the end had me totally confused though as I too wasn't sure if he really did it or if it was all just in his head
That's one of the reasons why I interpret it as "all in his head". As the movie is reaching the climax, things get more crazy and more exaggerated, like a really crazy dream.
Old 09-10-05, 11:11 AM

And I thought the real estate agent or owner didn't want to lose the money for the sale of the place, and to show societies decline of values, they cleaned the place up rather than reporting it to the police.
Old 09-10-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a "Lady or the Tiger" sort of question for many people, regardless of the filmmakers' intentions (who say
Spoiler:
"...we wanted it to be absolutely clear that he is actually killing people."
, FWIW) I see it as analogous to the Robert Chambers case in '86 in that
Spoiler:
the "I got mine, screw you" mentality of the 80s was sort of doing Bateman's clean up work for him and no matter what unspeakable acts he could commit he'd never face any real consequences.

Last edited by Luther Heggs; 09-10-05 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 05:10 PM
Banned

I saw a screening with the 2 writers/filmmakers and at they were ,of course, asked about their ending. They WANTED to make it clear that he did commit all those murders but obviously failed, by their own admittance. The director said she would have directed the last scene differently now. I even took notes, which I still have