Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Duck Soup...not that funny

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After always hearing how great the 'classic' Duck Soup was, I tivo'd it on TCM and watched it. Well, I watched about an hour. No wonder it was a flop when it came out. It's not funny and just plain bad.

D
Old 08-16-05, 02:02 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was funny and it didn't have songs and a romantic sub plot to bring the craziness of the Marx Brox to a complete stop.
Old 08-16-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been such a long time since I saw it at a revival house (probably 20 years) but I had a very similar reaction. I thought "so that's it, huh?" after reading about how highly regarded it seemed to be among critics. The best way to watch the Marx Brothers might be via a documentary or compilation that just highlights their best bits (which are great) and cuts out all of the dull stuff. Just my opinion of course.
Old 08-16-05, 03:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never heard of this movie. Who's in it? Is it a new release?
Old 08-16-05, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I've never heard of this movie. Who's in it? Is it a new release?
Everyone hates it, so I'm assuming Michael Bay directed it.
Old 08-16-05, 05:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

man, i have fond memeories of this movie. my girlfriend and i ducked into a local revival theater to get out of the rain. we paid our five bucks and watched the last hour of duck soup. maybe we were just in the right mood, but every little thing had us laughing -- groucho mirroring "himself" in the doorway, and harpo grabbing people hands and hanging his leg in them is so stupid and ridiculous we had tears streaming down our faces. the audience was really into it as well, and i'm sure that communal experience couldn't be duplicated at home on a tivo.
Old 08-16-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That false mirror scene is one of the funniest scenes ever put on film.

While Duck Soup isn't my personal favorite of the Marx Brothers - that would either have to go to A Day at the Races or A Night at the Opera - Duck Soup is still incredibly hilarious.
Old 08-16-05, 10:15 PM

My two cents: never watch a movie because "everyone says it's a classic." Odds are you'll hate it, for pretty much the same reason most people hate the books their teachers make them read in High School English. Nothing drains the fun out of something more than the suspicion that it's good for you.

Watch movies because you think you'll like them ... or because you want to try something new, in which case you will inevitably end up with some you don't like. It's not like you'll win a car if you watch every movie in the AFI's Top 100.

(For what it's worth Duck Soup is one of my all-time favorites. But then I had the good luck of seeing it before I knew it was supposed to be good for me.)
Old 08-16-05, 10:19 PM

Seen it a few times now and I still am almost brought to tears at how funny it is. Groucho's one liners are just great
Old 08-16-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I still prefer A Night at the Opera as my all time favorite Marx Bros movie, but this one is a very close second.

That said, 75 year old movies aren't for everyone. You don't get it, you don't get it. I could personally watch Duck Soup 100 times and never get tired of it.
Old 08-17-05, 02:11 AM

I could personally watch Duck Soup 100 times and never get tired of it.
I've only seen it once, and got tired of it right away. I guess the Marx Brothers just aren't my cup of tea, although A Night At The Opera was (compared to Duck Soup) mildly amusing.
Old 08-17-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
That said, 75 year old movies aren't for everyone.
I suppose that may be true, but I got my younger brother who can't even sit through most television shows to watch Chaplin's Modern Times and The Gold Rush. I think what kind of mood you're in means a lot.
Old 08-17-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich
After always hearing how great the 'classic' Duck Soup was, I tivo'd it on TCM and watched it. Well, I watched about an hour. No wonder it was a flop when it came out. It's not funny and just plain bad.

That's just crazy. Does the criteria for DVD Talk forum membership include a sanity clause?

Wait for it...
Old 08-17-05, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
That's just crazy. Does the criteria for DVD Talk forum membership include a sanity clause?
I don't believe so, no.
Old 08-17-05, 09:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Derrich

D
hmm, you must have thought Wedding Crasher's was funny then....

(to each his own)
Old 08-17-05, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think what kind of mood you're in means a lot.
I think it also helps if you can see these types of movies in the theatre setting - this summer and last, the AFI here in Silver Spring Maryland has shown Marx Brother's films, some classic Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd - and when you get a bunch of folk to enjoy the movie with you - the experience is heightened and appreciated. The family's that brought their kids to the Marx Brother's films had a great time.
Old 08-17-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe this thread exists... I had to read it just to be sure it wasn't a put on. The next thing you'll be telling me is that the Muppets are just dumb puppets.
Old 08-17-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't fool me - there ain't no sanity clause.

p.s. The Marx Bros. are pure cinematic crack for me.
Old 08-17-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,562 Likes on 990 Posts
I love the Marx Brothers, and Duck Soup is my favorite of their movies. It has me laughing nonstop (until that absurdist montage at the end, which never worked for me).

In a related story, my taste in music is different from many other people's.
Old 08-17-05, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
In a related story, my taste in music is different from many other people's.
Get a rope...
Old 08-17-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found "Duck Soup" to be a hilarious film. Almost as funny as "A Night at the Opera."
Old 08-17-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I think it also helps if you can see these types of movies in the theatre setting
... and about 70 years ago.
Old 08-17-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
I think it also helps if you can see these types of movies in the theatre setting - this summer and last, the AFI here in Silver Spring Maryland has shown Marx Brother's films, some classic Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd - and when you get a bunch of folk to enjoy the movie with you - the experience is heightened and appreciated. The family's that brought their kids to the Marx Brother's films had a great time.
how are prints for these movies at that theater? i know the charles in baltimore city has a revitals series that plays old movies.
Old 08-17-05, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
how are prints for these movies at that theater? i know the charles in baltimore city has a revitals series that plays old movies.
Generally, they are excellent prints - I have yet to see an revival film in bad print condition at the AFI
Old 08-17-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait for it...
You can't a foola me, theresa no sucha thing as a sanity claus

I just popped in to say Thread title Blasphemy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.