Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An interesting look back at House Of Flying Daggers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 636 Likes on 490 Posts

Someone at IMDB posted this link:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/conten...g_daggers.html

It's an interesting, if not entirely eye-opening, read. But I don't agree in part with the comments regarding Hero.
Spoiler:
Only Nameless allowed himself to die in favor of the King Of Qin's plan. Broken Sword and Flying Snow died for each other.
Old 07-29-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice read. thanks.
Old 07-29-05, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A valiant effort, but ultimately futile. Flying Daggers is the silliest movie I've seen since the Stepford Wives remake.
Old 07-29-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I realize House Of Flying Daggers is not the best movie ever made (though I think it's great nonetheless), Grubert, but it's also not as nonesensical as The Stepford Wives remake.

Anyhoo, I always thought House Of Flying Daggers is a very good film (better than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon IMO) so I found that article interesting and thought I'd share it here.

That said, the article does make a few minor mistakes.
Spoiler:
For example they mention that Leo and Mei's fight is unnecessarry because no one is watching. This is not true. Although the musicians and everyone else on the main floor ran away, if you look carefully while Mei and Leo fight, many stayed on the upper levels to watch.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-29-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 02:25 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

The article lost me, as many do, by putting down better movies (CT,HD works successfully in many more ways) to make its case. HoFD isn't silly, but this defense is.
Old 07-29-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 538 Posts
Is there a cliffnotes version?
Old 07-29-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it put Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon down at all, MrE. The writer merely said that Zhang Ziyi's character in CTHD wasn't likeable (which is true but that's so subjective that the same could be said of her character in HOFD) and expressed a prefference towards HOFD for not taking a blame society route for the love being doomed (although that is also debatable). But I will grant you that the article made the mistake of putting Ang Lee down. As I said, the article isn't perfect but it is interesting nonetheless.