Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Walk The Line - Joaquin Phoenix is Johnny Cash

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Walk The Line - Joaquin Phoenix is Johnny Cash

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
yes. that they do.

I saw this during AFI fest and I loved it. Phoenix did one amazing job as Cash. Did all the singing and did it perfect. The story will move you and Phoenix should be get a nom for this. I was even glad they didn't touch Boy named sue.
Cool! I'm going to crank up some Cash/Carter duets on the way to the movie.
Old 11-17-05, 10:07 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
i think walk the line is a good title
I'd prefer Joaquin The Line.
Old 11-17-05, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lmao
Old 11-17-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to watch this. This is one of my most anticipated films to watch this year.
Old 11-17-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by AndyCapps
Hahaha!
Old 11-18-05, 12:02 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Wasn't able to make last night's screening.

Anyway, here's Ebert's 3 1/2-star review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/51107006
Old 11-18-05, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good film covering Johnny Cash's early years, gaining a musical foothold in Tennessee, struggling with balancing a home life with the touring, and his ups-n-downs when it came to June Carter and to the pills that threatened to undermine everything for him at the height of his musical career.

Joachin Phoenix started out a little shaky as Johnny Cash, but he owns the role once the middle act gets going, and his vocal performances get better and better as the film unfolds, after about 30 minutes into the film, I forgot it was Phoenix on the screen and just accepted him as a young Johnny Cash, warts and all. Reese Witherspoon is solid as June Carter, and presents a hint of what she must have gone through in the 1960's after her divorce while remaining in the public eye performing with Johnny's tour.

As a film, it might have been tightened up a bit, by maybe 5-10 minutes, but that might have meant a musical number getting cut, so I can forgive the 135 minute running time.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

Last edited by Patman; 11-18-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-18-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AndyCapps
now thats a funny joke...

i plan on catching this one over the weekend
Old 11-19-05, 01:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just got back from seeing it tonight. Besides the singing, Phoenix had all of Cash's mannerisms on stage down cold. Excellent job. The real surprise though was Witherspoon...this is the best thing I've seen her in since Election. I was really impressed with it.
Old 11-19-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Good fun, I really liked Phoenix and Witherspoon, and the musical sequences were just electric with energy.
Old 11-19-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good movie...Could have trimmed it up a bit here and there, but Witherspoon and Phoenix pretty much kicked ass the whole movie. I know its still pretty early, but those 2 are going to be hard to beat come Oscar time.
Old 11-20-05, 11:14 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I saw this last night and loved everything about it! Starts off strong and never lets up -- I was engrossed the whole time. One of the best I've seen this year! Phoenix's voice is simply amazing...I still can't believe that was actually him singing.
Old 11-20-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The singing was Excellent and the performances were powerful and nuanced... I Loved the flick. Entertaining as all hell and certainly will be getting quite a few nominations come Oscar time.

MATT
Old 11-20-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Saw it. Good movie, but I am starting to wonder that if you get famous and don't have: A)Depression ,B)A drug habit , C) Drinking problem, or D) all of the above, if you're even eligible for a biopic.
Phoenix started out kind of shaky, but after the first act I bought into him, and once he showed up at the studio to pitch the idea of the Folsom Prison record he became the Johnny Cash of legend as opposed to an actor, at least IMO. I will come out and say he didn't come near to touching Jamie Foxx in Ray. While she is getting accolades for her performance, I never felt I was seeing June Carter as much as Reese Witherspoon playing June Carter. The two had chemistry, no denying it, but it seemed like the editors didn't know who they were supposed to cut the film to give the better Oscar buzz for. In Ray, there is no denying that it was Jamie Foxx's movie and he dominated it. I didn't feel this one give off the same vibe; it's like they acquired Reese Witherspoon and had to make June a more pivotal character. Had a lesser actress taken the role, I doubt June would have been as big a part of the movie. Then again, I think Reese Witherspoon is overrated, so best not to listen to me when it comes to her!

A solid movie with great acting, but in the end, I was a bit underwhelmed. I give it ***/**** for now. Maybe I'll change it later.
Old 11-20-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am about to go see it. Not lookin' foward to it, as I'm not a Cash fan. The fiance wants to see it.

Will post a review later.

< - loved Ray.
Old 11-20-05, 07:38 PM

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I love Cash and I thought Phoenix did a pretty good job of portraying him in his younger years. I also was very impressed with Witherspoon.
Old 11-20-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I am about to go see it. Not lookin' foward to it, as I'm not a Cash fan. The fiance wants to see it.

Will post a review later.

< - loved Ray.

She a Johnny Cash fan, a Reese Witherspoon fan, or just wanting to see a love story?
Old 11-21-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

She's a fan of Witherspoon and love stories..

As far as it goes...

I didn't care for it. First off, like I said, I am biased and I am not a Cash fan. I just didn't find his story that interesting. Second, I never bought Phoniex in the role. He just didn't seem to truly portray the "man in black". On the other hand, I thought Witherspoon and Patrick both had FANTASTIC roles . Espically Witherspoon! I never cared for June Carter's voice, but my god, when Reese was singin', I was amazed and actually interested.

It was a valid movie, but I don't think it reached the heights of Ray. It just never moved me or made me interested in Cash and his struggles.
Old 11-21-05, 01:06 AM

saw this tonight. Has Oscar nods written all over it.
Old 11-21-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw the film this weekend and enjoyed it. 3.5/5
Old 11-21-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Upon reflection, this movie didn't have the performance level of Ray, but it was an all around a more interesting and better movie than Ray.
Old 11-21-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw the movie and thought it was amazing. About mid way through the movie I didn't even recognize Joaquin. I would say his Oscar is in the book unless the Academy remembers Cinderella Man. I enjoyed it quite a bit far better than Ray. Comparing the acting talent to Ray isn't quite fair. Playing Ray Charles is all about exaggerating, Joaquin's performance was more subtle, and he actually sang the songs in the movie.
Old 11-21-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I know it's easy to compare Ray and Walk The Line, but I liked them both. They're simliar in a lot of ways, but ultimately pretty different stories. Foxx's performance may have been a bit better (this is the man who did "Booty Call," for cryin' out loud, and I for one would never have seen such an amazing bit of acting coming from him), but Phoenix was pretty great too.
Old 11-21-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Joaquin's performance was more subtle, and he actually sang the songs in the movie.
Despite the use of some of Ray Charles' actual recordings, one shouldn't dismiss the fine vocal work from Foxx himself. He DOES sing in Ray quite a bit.
Old 11-21-05, 01:51 PM

Wasn't that Kris Kristofferson in Folsom as the wizened, bearded prisoner who shouted out "Man in Black"? Looked like him and I know he and Cash collaborated on songs. Would have been nice to have heard "Sunday Morning Coming Down" but I guess not in the cards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.