Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

Old 07-09-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Re: Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

I must be in the minority. I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited. Sure the music is terrible and as much as I love Denzel he looks and sounds too “modern” for this movie but it’s got the LOOK and (from what little I’ve seen) the FEEL of the original.
Old 07-09-24, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Just want to point out that Gladiator had a tv spot set to kid rocks bawitdaba.
One of the best! I don't think many remember that.. it was fantastic, and a perfect advertisement for the film imo.
Old 07-09-24, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Such a cliched knee jerk reaction. No movie or sequel “needs” to be made. Someone smarter than everyone on this board got paid and managed to convince Paramount to pay $300M to get it made.
I think it's fair to point out that it wasn't greenlit at 300m, cost overruns and the strike 'allegedly' pushed it to that. It was probably low 200's, and to be honest....that's not a hard decision to make, I would've approved of that - provided Scott deliver a friendly run time. I don't believe he has final cut in his contract, but he has always worked with studios and allowed for himself to deliver a directors cut at a later time.
Old 07-10-24, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
One of the best! I don't think many remember that.. it was fantastic, and a perfect advertisement for the film imo.

I didn’t remember it being a Super Bowl spot. Also the title exploded at the end like it was Armageddon 2. Haha.

I felt the final film was far more serious. That spot plays like A Knight’s Tale.
Old 07-10-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,170 Posts

In theory I’m sure a comparison of Gladiator with football - a “gladiator sport” - seemed like a good idea. Especially for a Super Bowl ad. In reality it plays pretty bad. Particularly with that shitty music and those ridiculous graphics.
Old 07-10-24, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

I remember that ad back then thinking it was so cheese with much cringe. Enjoyed the movie a lot though.
Old 07-10-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised Djimon Hounsou apparently isn't in this.(according to recent articles) You would've thought he'd be at the top of the list of returning characters next to Connie Nielson. We are getting Derek Jacobi back as Gracchus though. (unclear if he's still a senator)
Old 07-11-24, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited.
Same boat here.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 334 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I must be in the minority. I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited. Sure the music is terrible and as much as I love Denzel he looks and sounds too “modern” for this movie but it’s got the LOOK and (from what little I’ve seen) the FEEL of the original.

I had zero interest until I saw the trailer. I thought it looked damn good.

Something about Denzel's character though seems a bit off and I am sure that is intentional.

Old 07-16-24, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

A three-minute trailer complete with a rap song is usually not a good sign of things to come.

As a Denzel fan, I'll probably check it out for him alone, but I don't buy Pascal in the role. I don't care about his overall size either (he doesn't look that big at all) - Crowe wasn't that big either.

Trailer didn't do anything at all for me.
Old 07-16-24, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
A three-minute trailer complete with a rap song is usually not a good sign of things to come.

As a Denzel fan, I'll probably check it out for him alone, but I don't buy Pascal in the role. I don't care about his overall size either (he doesn't look that big at all) - Crowe wasn't that big either.

Trailer didn't do anything at all for me.
Really, you have trouble with Pascal? That's an unusual take. I've heard tons of questioning of Mescal, but Pascal is not only cast in everything these days, he rose to fame playing a very similar sort of part on Game of Thrones. It seems like his casting was the least controversial.
Old 07-16-24, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Really, you have trouble with Pascal? That's an unusual take. I've heard tons of questioning of Mescal, but Pascal is not only cast in everything these days, he rose to fame playing a very similar sort of part on Game of Thrones. It seems like his casting was the least controversial.
What are you saying though? Just because he's cast in everything nowadays doesn't mean he's great. I think he's decent actor, even great in some areas, but I don't like him in this role. I could change my mind once I see the film as well, but he just doesn't fit the part for me.
Old 07-16-24, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
What are you ,? Just because he's cast in everything nowadays doesn't mean he's great. I think he's decent actor, even great in some areas, but I don't like him in this role. I could change my mind once I see the film as well, but he just doesn't fit the part for me.
Sure you don't have to like him as an actor. I just mean seeing the guy who played Prince Oberon as a Roman General feels to me as obvious and natural as picking Jenna Ortego to play Lydia's daughter in the Beetlejuice sequel or Kevin Costner playing a sheriff in a Western. If anything, it feels too on the nose.
Old 07-16-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's fine I guess. Maybe I'll end up changing my mind about him when I see the flick (well, IF I see it, again, Denzel alone can pull me into anything, but I have a feeling this will be one of those films that I keep saying "I'll watch it soon" to).
Old 07-20-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 567 Posts

You know, I've been mulling over Washington's performance as depicted in the trailer. His character seems to be essentially playing the same role as Proximo from the first movie. Oliver Reed had some minor contemporary flourishes in his performance. Perhaps the same occurs in this movie but whomever cut the trailer grouped all those flourishes together (for no other reason than they thought those were the coolest bits), making it seem as if that is Denzel Washington's actual performance as a whole. At least I hope that's the case.