Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,595 Likes on 2,281 Posts
Re: Gladiator II (2024, D: Scott) S: Mescal, Washington, Pascal

I must be in the minority. I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited. Sure the music is terrible and as much as I love Denzel he looks and sounds too “modern” for this movie but it’s got the LOOK and (from what little I’ve seen) the FEEL of the original.
Old 07-09-24, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Just want to point out that Gladiator had a tv spot set to kid rocks bawitdaba.
One of the best! I don't think many remember that.. it was fantastic, and a perfect advertisement for the film imo.
Old 07-09-24, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Such a cliched knee jerk reaction. No movie or sequel “needs” to be made. Someone smarter than everyone on this board got paid and managed to convince Paramount to pay $300M to get it made.
I think it's fair to point out that it wasn't greenlit at 300m, cost overruns and the strike 'allegedly' pushed it to that. It was probably low 200's, and to be honest....that's not a hard decision to make, I would've approved of that - provided Scott deliver a friendly run time. I don't believe he has final cut in his contract, but he has always worked with studios and allowed for himself to deliver a directors cut at a later time.
Old 07-10-24, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
One of the best! I don't think many remember that.. it was fantastic, and a perfect advertisement for the film imo.

I didn’t remember it being a Super Bowl spot. Also the title exploded at the end like it was Armageddon 2. Haha.

I felt the final film was far more serious. That spot plays like A Knight’s Tale.
Old 07-10-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In theory I’m sure a comparison of Gladiator with football - a “gladiator sport” - seemed like a good idea. Especially for a Super Bowl ad. In reality it plays pretty bad. Particularly with that shitty music and those ridiculous graphics.
Old 07-10-24, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,106 Likes on 877 Posts

I remember that ad back then thinking it was so cheese with much cringe. Enjoyed the movie a lot though.
Old 07-10-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am surprised Djimon Hounsou apparently isn't in this.(according to recent articles) You would've thought he'd be at the top of the list of returning characters next to Connie Nielson. We are getting Derek Jacobi back as Gracchus though. (unclear if he's still a senator)
Old 07-11-24, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited.
Same boat here.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (07-12-24)
Old 07-12-24, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I must be in the minority. I didn’t have a ton of interest in the movie before but that trailer actually got me somewhat excited. Sure the music is terrible and as much as I love Denzel he looks and sounds too “modern” for this movie but it’s got the LOOK and (from what little I’ve seen) the FEEL of the original.

I had zero interest until I saw the trailer. I thought it looked damn good.

Something about Denzel's character though seems a bit off and I am sure that is intentional.

Old 07-16-24, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

A three-minute trailer complete with a rap song is usually not a good sign of things to come.

As a Denzel fan, I'll probably check it out for him alone, but I don't buy Pascal in the role. I don't care about his overall size either (he doesn't look that big at all) - Crowe wasn't that big either.

Trailer didn't do anything at all for me.
Old 07-16-24, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
A three-minute trailer complete with a rap song is usually not a good sign of things to come.

As a Denzel fan, I'll probably check it out for him alone, but I don't buy Pascal in the role. I don't care about his overall size either (he doesn't look that big at all) - Crowe wasn't that big either.

Trailer didn't do anything at all for me.
Really, you have trouble with Pascal? That's an unusual take. I've heard tons of questioning of Mescal, but Pascal is not only cast in everything these days, he rose to fame playing a very similar sort of part on Game of Thrones. It seems like his casting was the least controversial.
Old 07-16-24, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Really, you have trouble with Pascal? That's an unusual take. I've heard tons of questioning of Mescal, but Pascal is not only cast in everything these days, he rose to fame playing a very similar sort of part on Game of Thrones. It seems like his casting was the least controversial.
What are you saying though? Just because he's cast in everything nowadays doesn't mean he's great. I think he's decent actor, even great in some areas, but I don't like him in this role. I could change my mind once I see the film as well, but he just doesn't fit the part for me.
Old 07-16-24, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
What are you ,? Just because he's cast in everything nowadays doesn't mean he's great. I think he's decent actor, even great in some areas, but I don't like him in this role. I could change my mind once I see the film as well, but he just doesn't fit the part for me.
Sure you don't have to like him as an actor. I just mean seeing the guy who played Prince Oberon as a Roman General feels to me as obvious and natural as picking Jenna Ortego to play Lydia's daughter in the Beetlejuice sequel or Kevin Costner playing a sheriff in a Western. If anything, it feels too on the nose.
Old 07-16-24, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's fine I guess. Maybe I'll end up changing my mind about him when I see the flick (well, IF I see it, again, Denzel alone can pull me into anything, but I have a feeling this will be one of those films that I keep saying "I'll watch it soon" to).
Old 07-20-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 827 Likes on 644 Posts

You know, I've been mulling over Washington's performance as depicted in the trailer. His character seems to be essentially playing the same role as Proximo from the first movie. Oliver Reed had some minor contemporary flourishes in his performance. Perhaps the same occurs in this movie but whomever cut the trailer grouped all those flourishes together (for no other reason than they thought those were the coolest bits), making it seem as if that is Denzel Washington's actual performance as a whole. At least I hope that's the case.
Old 07-22-24, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 215 Posts

While I don't have a problem with Pascal in the role or anything. I am starting to get sick of him being in everything.
Old 09-23-24, 08:19 AM

Received 5,110 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Also... Ridley said he has an idea for a third film:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...tt-1236008160/
Old 09-23-24, 11:24 AM

That ship battle in the Colosseum alone looks to be worth the price of admission.
Old 09-23-24, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like the same basic story - a soldier turned gladiator out for vengeance but with bigger, more elaborate gladiatorial shenanigans.

I’m in!

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 09-23-24 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-23-24, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, more of the same, which I think is what most would want out of it. So the monkeys are in the smaller pit, with what looks like two fights (water/sharks, rhino) along with the final duel in the Coliseum. That's exactly how the first played out, so it's following the formula pretty close. The large scale battle probably starts the film just like the first one also.

Seemed like a pretty big spoiler reveal, but I suppose it was always going to be somewhat obvious.

Last edited by Artman; 09-23-24 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-23-24, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 883 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That ship battle in the Colosseum alone looks to be worth the price of admission.
I'll give you the ship battles (naumachia), but the addition of sharks just make me
Old 09-23-24, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,041 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, more of the same, which I think is what most would want out of it. So the monkeys are in the smaller pit, with what looks like two fights (water/sharks, rhino) along with the final duel in the Coliseum. That's exactly how the first played out, so it's following the formula pretty close. The large scale battle probably starts the film just like the first one also.

Seemed like a pretty big spoiler reveal, but I suppose it was always going to be somewhat obvious.

Were those sharks? I thought they were alligators. They've done that in that Peacock series "For Those About To Die." They seal up a portion of the coliseum and flood it with water and release alligators into the water and they fuck people up. Apparently they did that in real life it just hasn't been shown in film yet.

Old 09-23-24, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 314 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd never even heard of this until someone showed the poster on FB and I immediately assumed from the title and cast that it was basically a straight-to-streaming cheapie that's getting theatrical release because someone decided to pay Denzel big money to do a small part, kind of like Bruce Willis's last few dozen films. Then I come here and learn about its huge budget, which baffles me no end.
Old 09-23-24, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been impressed with the posters.. you could just do a shameless ripoff of the original and it would still be infinitely better. A simple but memorable image is better than anything else.
Old 09-23-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Were those sharks? I thought they were alligators. They've done that in that Peacock series "For Those About To Die." They seal up a portion of the coliseum and flood it with water and release alligators into the water and they fuck people up. Apparently they did that in real life it just hasn't been shown in film yet.
I only watched the trailer on my phone but they look like sharks to me. A quick Google search tells me they really did use sharks for gladiator fights in the Colosseum. Which begs the question: how the hell did they get sharks into the colosseum?!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.