Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on Tarantino and his movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My thoughts on Tarantino and his movies

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally really like the way he uses music as a "crutch". The songs he uses seem to almost perfectly fit what ever is happening on the screen at the moment....in Pulp Fiction, for example, the Statler Brother's "Counting Flowers on the Wall"..."smokin cicarettes and watchin Captain KANGAROO"....and as Marcellus sees Butch while crossing the street, "It's good to SEE you, I must go....". He's even stated in interviews how he listens to music as he writes, as if it's a form of inspiration...come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it's mention on the interview disc that came with the re-release of the Pulp Fiction sountrack.

Everytime "Stuck in the Middle with You" comes on the radio, I immediately think of Mr. Blonde doin his creepy white boy dance, the same way EVERY time I hear a "bit of the old Ludwig Van" or "Singing in the Rain", those have forever been engrained in my head with visuals put forth from A Clockwork Orange.
Old 07-12-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Also, if you notice, it's almost like a ballet, if you will. As the song hits a beat, someone will take a step, close a suitcase, cock a gun, etc.

The characters are performing actions to the beat of the music. The camera moves at the pace of the music.
Old 07-12-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Bill was intentionally of the "kitchen sink" style of filmmaking - it's a grindhouse pastiche, after all. To me, Jackie Brown is proof that Tarantino can make a film that is tight in terms of structure but relaxed in terms of mood.
Old 07-12-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That's why he's made an entire four movies. These are my thoughts.
Kubrick only made a total of 15 films over half a century, and between 1960 and 1999 he only made 9. I guess that is why he is not that good. Everyone does not spews out films like Miike, but puts their love, soul, and dedication in the film in order to convery their message.

By the way, I thought the Gold Watch Scene was very good, it developed Bruce Willis character who plays a major role in the film.

Kudos to you for putting your thoughts up for scrutiny

Cheers,

DVD Smurf
Old 07-30-05, 10:27 PM

I'll put some of my thoughts up for scrutiny as well. I just checked out Reservoir Dogs for the first time last night. It doesn't bother me at all that he apparently cuts whole scenes and ideas from other movies-- when it all comes down to it, the product is still good. Unoriginal or not, he's just a guy who loves watching movies and doesn't mind taking all of us along for the ride with him.

One issue though that I’m surprised isn't addressed more often is his wanton use of violence. It's one thing to laugh at violence, because that's a way of coming to terms with it within society, but I think he takes it too far. It seems like people are already numb to scenes like the one in reservoir dogs where the cop gets his ear cut off. He calls that movie and Pulp Fiction comedies. I'll agree that pulp fiction is definitely a dark comedy and works well within what he was trying to make, but I’m not so sure about reservoir dogs. One thing he said in an interview that makes me stand by my comments is that he thought Taxi Driver should be in the comedy section of the video store, he says it's "fucking hilarious". I've only seen it once and I’m willing to admit that the black comedy bits may have gone under my radar, but I’d like to hear more of his reasoning behind that. I think Scorsese has a certain discreetness when it comes to violence, whereas when you watch it in Tarintino's movies, you can almost hear him laughing behind the camera. To me that is the biggest detractor in his work.

And I'll chime in about why he edits his films out of order. I think the simplest answer is best, it's just because it makes them more interesting. He's said that he's very in-tune with the audience when making his films, and I think that's absolutely true. He knows how to entertain. What's the point of bothering with boring exposition when you can just fast forward to the interesting parts of the film. The audience will still get it and understand, and it will make the exposition all the more interesting.
Old 07-30-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have a sick sense of humor since i thought the ear (after watching it a couple of times) to be funny. (its also all off screen you don't see any of it happen), and the dialogue in his movies is always funny "Does he look like a bitch"
Old 07-30-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
I have a Reservoir Dogs tatoo, does that make me an asshole? Just curious.
Old 07-30-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, it is a little unfair to judge a director on amount of movies they've made. Uwe Boll has 9 movies according to imdb and he is quite literally one of the worst directors ever to have lived. Boll must have sold his soul to satan for a 20 picture deal. As for Tarantino, I'm not a huge fan of his but i rather enjoyed Resoivor dogs and Pulp fiction. The first Kill Bill was alright also but the second one lacked imo. As for the guy saying that anyone who doesn't like Tarintino is ignorant, well people like you can live in your delusional world of your opinion being rule if you'd like

Wait didn't he do 5 movies... Jackie brown, Resorvoir dogs, Pulp fiction, Kill bill volume 1 and kill bill volume 2. Just so we're clear, are you counting the kill bills as 1 movie? (and yes i know they were originally supposed to be 1 film, so you don't have to school me on this )

Last edited by glassdragon; 07-30-05 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yah i would count kill bill as one movie since it was shot for the most part at the same time, and he didn't do anything in between. he also directed a segment of four rooms...
Old 07-31-05, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
I have a Reservoir Dogs tatoo, does that make me an asshole? Just curious.
Yes.
Old 07-31-05, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Yes.
And screw you to fincher fan.
Old 07-31-05, 11:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
Not liking or respecting Tarantino's work is ignorant. period.
that comment is ignorant. period.

while i disagree wholly with the op's statements, i wouldn't dis his/her's opinions.

i think QT is brilliant and his films TR, RD, PF, KB1, and KB2 (didn't entirely care for JB) are brilliant and destined to all be classics with RD and PF already in that class. he puts them out at perfect times when me and many are clamoring for variety and differences in film. his films are that and then some. original and masterful, only borrowing ideas of yesteryear in cinema, but making them relevant and glorious to today's educated viewers.

putting 1 out every few years or more makes them genuine and unique and ones that i starve to see when they do release. any more wouldn't be prudent to him (QT) or his audience and keeps the architect of such wonderful films from getting stale.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-31-05 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-31-05, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think QT is pretty well aware of his boundaries as a filmmaker.
I agree with most all of what you said, but this especially.

He's not the greatest and he's not the worst. He's not a phenominal genius or a talentless hack.
Old 07-31-05, 11:52 AM

Hey dvd smurf Mr.Kubrick is one of greatest film makers of all-time better than most of today's film makers (or film hackers).
PS: rip mr.blue
Old 07-31-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ROBERTCOP34
Hey dvd smurf Mr.Kubrick is one of greatest film makers of all-time better than most of today's film makers (or film hackers).
I think you missed a little thing in his post called "sarcasm."

Also, a hacker is not the same thing as a hack.
Old 07-31-05, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just don't agree at all with op's comments. Obviously if you don't like the material you're watching you're going to point out what you don't like and assume for whatever reasons that It doesn't work overall, which is not the case.

So you don't like his 'style' but does that mean it doesn't work? Does it mean that it sucks....hell no.

Salty - ha. Nice sig, I remember that, nothin' but love for ya man.
Old 07-31-05, 06:31 PM

I just don't agree at all with op's comments. Obviously if you don't like the material you're watching you're going to point out what you don't like and assume for whatever reasons that It doesn't work overall, which is not the case.

So you don't like his 'style' but does that mean it doesn't work? Does it mean that it sucks....hell no.

Salty - ha. Nice sig, I remember that, nothin' but love for ya man.
Just to be fair I'd add that if you like the material you're watching you may tend to overlook flaws. Just because you like the style, does that mean it rocks? Well whose to say... because a movies greatness in the end is just personal opinion anyways.
Old 07-31-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by smirnoff
Just to be fair I'd add that if you like the material you're watching you may tend to overlook flaws. Just because you like the style, does that mean it rocks? Well whose to say... because a movies greatness in the end is just personal opinion anyways.
I hear what you're saying but I have to disagee a little. I don't think the op actually hates the material but to make the comments based on the info given is obviously from a personal view which of course is ok but does not reflect or backup his statements on Qt's movies as a whole. Seems like he thinks he has it all figured out based on his view alone, again; that's ok to think that way as well but guess what? You also have to deal with the fact that you're (meaning the op) wrong.

As for myself and overlooking flaws when watching movies - no way, I'm hard to please (I'm just a picky bastard) and when I see something I don't like or agree with (based on the movie of course - i.e. if it's a corny action movie or something I tend not to care as much because I want to have mindless fun) I hold a grudge against it for the whole movie (sticks in my mind the whole time) and question what the hell they were thinking.
Old 07-31-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
He's a great filmmaker, and if you don't like him I don't think any less of you as a person, just as a fan of movies.
Old 08-01-05, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by duff beer
But then again many of imdbs voters are teens and 20 somethings living in an age when violence and other such things are glorified.
Exactly! Those silly teens and young adults are far too shallow and ignorant to tell a good film from a bad one.

Nevermind the fact that stereotyping an entire group of people makes you look like an asshole...your opinion is more valid than that of a person who's 20-something, and you'll be damned if you're not going to make that known!

-JP
Old 08-01-05, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Exactly! Those silly teens and young adults are far too shallow and ignorant to tell a good film from a bad one.

Nevermind the fact that stereotyping an entire group of people makes you look like an asshole...your opinion is more valid than that of a person who's 20-something, and you'll be damned if you're not going to make that known!

-JP
it's all subjective but there's enough idiots on that site giving great films a "1" rating to take away any credibility or consistency. I couldn't care less what their number 1 film is.
Old 08-01-05, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming that all of you are only counting the films that he's directed? What about the films that he's screenplayed, From Dusk til Dawn and True Romance? A very stong arguement can be made in his defense for his ablitiy to both write AND direct. Yes, he's "only" directed 5 films, but 4 of them were screenplayed by himself, JB being the obvious adaptation, even his upcoming film, Inglorious Bastards, is written and directed by himself. So if I'm doing my math correctly, that's what, 6 solidly written films in 12 years? That's not too shabby.

If any of you can name someone as prolific as he in this respect, I'd really like to know...for me, James Cameron is the only other individual that comes to mind.
Old 08-01-05, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by DVD King
it's all subjective but there's enough idiots on that site giving great films a "1" rating to take away any credibility or consistency. I couldn't care less what their number 1 film is.
I wasn't defending the list (or even the tastes and intellegence level of the IMDB population). I was defending the "then again" notion that the ignorance on that site can be chalked up wholly to the fact that it's largely inhabited by 13-29 year olds.

"That site's population is entirely ignorant. Then again, most of the people who go there are women." Same difference. Those who toss around blind stereotypings have always irked me...so I felt compelled to say something.

-JP
Old 08-01-05, 06:51 AM

And screw you to fincher fan.
Old 08-01-05, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
No, but he can't possibly be listed among the top directors of his times because of his limited output. I think Badlands is a classic. Thing Red Line is a good film in my opinion, but not great. Saving Private Ryan is a better film, despite it's typical Speilbergian sentimental ending.
Agree that "Bandlands" is a classic. Disagree that "SPR" is better than "TRL".

Back on topic. PopcornTreeCt: Have you seen "Jackie Brown"? It's certainly more than scenes held together by title cards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.