Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oliver Stone to Direct Nicholas Cage in a 9/11 movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oliver Stone to Direct Nicholas Cage in a 9/11 movie

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about pressure to make sure it's a "good" movie ....
Old 07-10-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the most liberal filmmaker in Hollywood gets a chance to fuck up another major historical event in America's history. Sorry, but I used to really like Oliver Stone. JFK is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. But now he sucks.
Old 07-10-05, 03:24 PM

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
If he was the most conservative filmmaker in Hollywood would it be all right?
Old 07-10-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by William Fuld
No.

If you're going to make a film about 9/11 "so soon," you need to drop all the political affiliations you have at the door.
Old 07-10-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
No.

If you're going to make a film about 9/11 "so soon," you need to drop all the political affiliations you have at the door.
Agreed.
Old 07-10-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worst to direct? Most liberal filmmaker? Come on... at least Michael Moore's not directing it.
Old 07-11-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But now he sucks.
Pretty much. What do ya bet it has something in it that pisses a bunch of people off, it gets a ton of hype, and the studio makes a boatload of money off a crap movie because it's "controversial"?

If we just ignored him would he go away?
Old 07-11-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Given Stone's usual postures as either hilarious conspiracy monger or hagiographic tribute artist, this can only end in eye-rolling tedium. Either way he goes.
Old 07-11-05, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oliver Stone and Nicolas Cage deserve each other. They're both no-talent hacks.
Old 07-11-05, 10:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by William Fuld
It would be an improvement. At least we'd now the film would be Pro-America, and not Pro-Terrorist.
Old 07-11-05, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
It would be an improvement. At least we'd now the film would be Pro-America, and not Pro-Terrorist.
ignorance is bliss
Old 07-11-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Newfrd
ignorance is bliss
So we should have the movie pro-terrorist? Do you want a film to say Osama was right?

Screw PC, I want to see movies where Osama gets the most painful deaths ever. How about a whole movies of 'great ways to kill him' segments. Bunch of 5 minute segments of worse and worse ways to die. Sort of like Ichy and Scratchy but real-life. I'd be there opening day.

To all the people that are saying too soon, what is the amount of time you think they should wait. It has been almost 4 years. Pearl Harbor was terrible but there are films of that. We all know there will be 9-11 films made.

You could say that 9-11 was the most tragic event in any American's memory. Nobody is still alive that was around for the Civil War/Slavery so those events are just known through history books, not personal memories.
Old 07-12-05, 12:03 AM

They only waited like 9 months for the movie about the miners trapped in the mine, and look how good that turned out
Old 07-12-05, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats
You could say that 9-11 was the most tragic event in any American's memory. Nobody is still alive that was around for the Civil War/Slavery so those events are just known through history books, not personal memories.
So, since we don't have first hand knowledge of it, it somehow doesn't mean as much

I think it is too soon for a Hollywood movie, and I really think a dramatization would be ill received, especially one with a conspiracy theory. But I guess we will soon find out...
Old 07-12-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was something like 800,000 men were killed during a single battle during the civil war. The Civil War is the most tragic event and darkest time in America's history. In my mind anyway. I'm not basing this on body count either.
Old 07-12-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts
9/11 is old news, I want them to dramatize the London bombings!!
Old 07-12-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
9/11 is old news, I want them to dramatize the London bombings!!
V For Vendetta should be out soon.
Old 07-12-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let me be the first to ask, why is this "too soon?"
Old 07-12-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
How do you answer that really? I guess it's a matter of opinion and I certainly think New Yorkers are more "sensitive" about this than the rest of America. But "too soon" means that many people aren't ready to relive this tragedy just yet.
Old 07-12-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
How do you answer that really? I guess it's a matter of opinion and I certainly think New Yorkers are more "sensitive" about this than the rest of America. But "too soon" means that many people aren't ready to relive this tragedy just yet.
well, it seems the inevitable storyline is paving the way for the movie to be somewhat cathartic.

i would agree there's a 'too soon' and a 'too late' for a movie such as this, i'd just say it's in the happy medium where it's neither of these.

as it is comparable to pearl harbor in some ways, i think the difference between a movie made 50 years later and a movie made 5 years later is that, for lack of a really good way to say it, pearl harbor has so much more of an elevated importance for the US. maybe that's because it has ripened with age, but i'd also say it thrust us into a world war and such things help as well.

i am really curious to see how this plays out.
Old 07-12-05, 10:53 AM

I think "too soon" is relative to what the subject is. To people in Boston, it was probably too soon to have a movie about the Red Sox winning the World series, it was that big for them, but in other places it was just a movie (I know this is a week comparison).

IMHO, it would be "too soon" because we are still dealing with this on a personal level, I don't think it is something that has been packaged up and put a the shelf of history, it is still a part of our everyday lives. We are still to close to this, not in chronological measurement, but in emotional measurement.
I also (prematurely) wonder about Stone's motivations. I don't know his politics on the subject, but I know his track record, which could be considered a little radical for someof his crazier ideas. If this ends up being a crazy conspiracy movie, it could be a bad move. I mean, if JFK would have come out in '65, would that have been received well?
I will go see it no matter what, becasue i always want to be able to have an informed opinion when discussing something, but I think it might be too soon for this event to be dramatized, but then again maybe not it's just my humble opinion...
Old 07-12-05, 10:54 AM

i am really curious to see how this plays out.
Me too...
Old 07-12-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
IMHO, it would be "too soon" because we are still dealing with this on a personal level, I don't think it is something that has been packaged up and put a the shelf of history, it is still a part of our everyday lives. We are still to close to this, not in chronological measurement, but in emotional measurement.
i don't have any personal ties to 9/11, but i wonder if now is too soon, when is it ok?

i know people do still have emotional involvement, but in 50 or 70 years, people will still have emotional involvement. people will be saying i lost my brother or daughter or father to that and almost surely burst into tears.

that's why i suggest there's a "too late". you don't want to have a made for TV movie about it airing 3 weeks after the fact, but you don't want to wait until all emotional attachment and relevance has expired. as long as the movie isn't hurried, i think it's fine.
Old 07-12-05, 11:19 AM

i don't have any personal ties to 9/11, but i wonder if now is too soon, when is it ok?

i know people do still have emotional involvement, but in 50 or 70 years, people will still have emotional involvement. people will be saying i lost my brother or daughter or father to that and almost surely burst into tears.

that's why i suggest there's a "too late". you don't want to have a made for TV movie about it airing 3 weeks after the fact, but you don't want to wait until all emotional attachment and relevance has expired. as long as the movie isn't hurried, i think it's fine.
I don't have personal ties either, but in our era of hypersensitivity, where everyone is looking for their piece of drama and attention, and a time where we still sing America the Beautiful during every 7th inning stretch, I think there are a lot of people who will feel this is too soon (caution: fight club allusion) and it would be like the "cut at the top of your mouth that would heal if you could only stop tonguing it.”
I agree, if done right this could be good, I am just leery of Stone’s intentions. But then again, I wonder who would be the right person to do this if not him, maybe he is the right person.
I think you are right about there being a too late as well.
I am, like you, looking forward to see how this plays out…

Last edited by ivelostr2; 07-12-05 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-12-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Looking at the article, this seems to me a movie more about the heroism of the police, fire-fighters and rescue workers on 9/11 than a movie about the politics behind the attack. I can't imagine Stone will find a place to discuss his politics if this is the focus of the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.