Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The FANTASTIC FOUR Review Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The FANTASTIC FOUR Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 07:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd love to see a series of Marvel Team up movies

Spidey and the Hulk

Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Wolverine

etc etc
Old 07-09-05, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's great fun family film to me it's like the first spiderman movie..
Old 07-09-05, 09:08 PM

I saw it today with some friends and at first we were expecting something as bad as the previous Marvel releases, surprisingly that wasn't the case, we pretty much enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind watching it again when it comes out on dvd.

My main gripe though, I mean I know there can't be appearences by other super heroes due to licensing and such, but they can be acknowledged by at least a blurb of some sort. Would have been cool just to see a Fantastic 4 headline on the front page of the Daily Bugle. It's always treated as if there are no other heroes that exist or reside in NYC.
Old 07-09-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son and I saw the movie today, and we both like it alot (we LOVED Spiderman and Xmen).

I have to disagree with all the negitive write up on the movie:
1. Doom - yes, the changed the origins of the bad guy, but they kept alot of the parts of his character.
2. Sue Storm was not bad, Jessica did a good job with her character. She will mature in future movies.
3. The Human Torch was just like the comics (depending which decade you read)

Not as great as other comic movies, but it was a fun movie to watch for a matinee price with your son!
Old 07-09-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Know what I say?

F_ _ _ the critics.

My wife and two daughters and I thought it was a fun, entertaining and funny movie - way better than any of those experts on rottentomatoes said it was. Nice to use the two movie money tickets that came with the day after tomorrow and I, robot SE DVDs also.

Looking forward to the sequels!!!
Old 07-09-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by calhoun07
And here is hoping we get a Galactus movie for the next one!!! With Nova!!! And the Negative Zone! The one thing I always loved about the comics was the sci-fi aspect of it, and I know in reading interviews with Stan Lee, that is one of the reasons why he loved writing FF so much back in the day, so I would like to see more of the sci-fi aspect of this group. Any superhero movie can have heroes and villians ripping up the streets of New York, so let's see what sets the Fantastic Four apart from the rest of the heroes on the block in the next movie!!
You mean the "all CGI" "force of nature, not a being" Galactus?
Old 07-09-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I'd love to see a series of Marvel Team up movies

Spidey and the Hulk

Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Wolverine

etc etc

There should have been some mention on the bridge when The Thing was messing with the fire truck from the onlookers along the lines of someone yelling out "MUTANT!!" then, we will be getting closer to an X-men/F4.
Old 07-09-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by amped
I saw it today with some friends and at first we were expecting something as bad as the previous Marvel releases, surprisingly that wasn't the case, we pretty much enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind watching it again when it comes out on dvd.

My main gripe though, I mean I know there can't be appearences by other super heroes due to licensing and such, but they can be acknowledged by at least a blurb of some sort. Would have been cool just to see a Fantastic 4 headline on the front page of the Daily Bugle. It's always treated as if there are no other heroes that exist or reside in NYC.
Not to mention, it struck me that NY was seeing something quite unusual when they looked upon the Fantastic Four. They didn't know what to make of them at first. Even tho they cannot share the same movie, it would have been cool for the NYers to at least be a bit more comfortable with the presence of heroes.
Old 07-09-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
You mean the "all CGI" "force of nature, not a being" Galactus?
WTF??? Why would they even want to make Galactus all CGI? I hope they are scrapping plans for that Silver Surfer movie. Not that I don't want to see it, but the Silver Surfer would have to be CGI as well. As much as I liked the FF, I think the CGI Human Torch was the weakest bit in the new FF movie, and I could not imagine a movie where the central character was CGI in a similar fashion. It would likely look as sucky as the Immortal.

I certainly don't mean that Galactus. Galactus was clearly a large human being. With current technology, they could take a man, dress him up to look like Galactus (and hopefully not have it look corny) and use computers/forced perspective to make him larger than he is. If they can think of a way for the Thing to work without CGI (which I think they did well, by the way. I especially liked the sound of rocks scraping together when the Thing moved...nice touch in the movie) then there is no way they have to resort to that crap for the Galactus.

I swear CGI is spelling the death for creative special effects in Hollywood.
Old 07-09-05, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Know what I say?

F_ _ _ the critics.

My wife and two daughters and I thought it was a fun, entertaining and funny movie - way better than any of those experts on rottentomatoes said it was. Nice to use the two movie money tickets that came with the day after tomorrow and I, robot SE DVDs also.

Looking forward to the sequels!!!
You're allowed to say fuck around here...

SO.... FUCK THE CRITICS

My son and I enjoyed it

Glad I stopped listening to the movie critics a LONG TIME AGO

They clearly don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

I have the free passes from buying the recent Fox DVD's that included them, but had no problem paying for the tickets on this one. I'll just use the free passes to watch it again sometime soon.
Old 07-09-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i enjoyed this...i had reservations, and caught this movie because it fit into my lunch break. I still read FF comics, and have taken it pretty easy on most comic movies.

Ben Grimm looked much better in action. The promo shots had me so worried. It came across well though.

Doom however was dissapointing. he is by far my favorite marvel villain growing up. The costume looked clumsy, but could have worked if not for the actor behind the mask. He wasn't nearly menacing enough. Furthermore, he wasn't nearly as pissed off at Reed as he should have been. He should have clinched his fist more and said Cursed Richards at least once.
Old 07-09-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Glad I stopped listening to the movie critics a LONG TIME AGO

They clearly don't know what they are talking about most of the time.
I never understood why there are some people that judge their movie-going decisions by what some critic/reviewer says.
Old 07-10-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK i went into this thinking it was going to be terrible.....i came out thinking what the critics wanted from it

i give it a B. Reason being:

First of all, the Fantastic Four are really like well known heroes. They dont hide in dungeons and hide identity, everyone knows who they are.....

Johnny Storm was played very well. He was always known as a Cocky bothersome person and the Thing was great..

Oh and the reason for the B....... Jessica Alba in Bra and Panties
Old 07-10-05, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, Doom really was the weakest link here. I wouldn't have minded a moleman villain more so than a Doom.
Old 07-10-05, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else think the names of Sue and Johnny Storm sounded ridiculous everytime they were said? At least they had the good sense to refer to Von Doom as Victor most of the time.
Old 07-10-05, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They're standard comic names. Lois Lane, Clark Kent, Peter Parker, Richard Reed, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm... comic names are always silly.
Old 07-10-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOVED IT. Abso-freaking-lutely loved it. What a great addition to my personal summer-movie-going experience for 2005. That was just a FUN movie all throughout. Johnny Storm was awesome. The funniest thing in the theater was that everytime Chris Evans was on screen, you'd hear the girls go, "Oh my God..." And then everytime Jessica was on screen with that cleavage all the guys would go "Oh yeah...". I personally believe she's the hottest thing in Hollywood right now. When's "Into the Blue" come out? My biggest quibble would be the f/x for Mr. Fantastic but then they used it sparingly and I guess it'd be really hard to animate his powers anyway without looking goofy.

I really hope they make a sequel.

Last edited by Kal-El; 07-10-05 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 03:21 AM

Why the personal animosity against "the critics"? These are just professional writers paid to offer their singular opinions! I gave Fantastic Four 2 out of 5 stars because I thought the pacing was sloppy, the acting was near awful, the action scenes were inert, the screenplay was full of broad and overly-silly schtick, the editing was confused, etc., etc.

But nowhere in my review did I say that: A) You're a fool if you see this movie, B) You're an idiot if you like it, and C) "general" moviegoers wouldn't know a bad movie if it leaked all over their legs. Know why? Because I'm secure in my ability to form an opinion and explain where it comes from. I don't feel the need to dismiss, deride, or belittle those who may disagree with me.

You liked a movie that the general critical community found pretty awful? Great! But why must people dismiss a bunch of educated opinions in order to feel better about their own?

If "the critics" share your opinion on a movie, then they're brilliant people who say insightful things. If they don't, then they're clueless snobs. I just don't get it.

Oh, and can someone explain one scene to me? On the bridge we're given a big show of Alba stripping down and getting invisible. In her next scene she's seen buttoning up her clothes -- but she hadn't DONE anything! Did I miss something?

Anyway, glad you're all enjoying the flick. Just because I didn't dig it, that doesn't mean I want everyone to hate the thing.
Old 07-10-05, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The idea was that she get through the crowd.. yeah, it really didn't make sense.
Old 07-10-05, 04:55 AM

I didn't visit rottentomatoes until after I had watched the movie and I was surprised to see the negative rating. Fantastic Four was by no means perfect, but it was enjoyable none-the-less. It is a "turn your brain off and enjoy the show" kind of movie. It never tries to be anything else and that is why it succeeds to entertain. If you analyze it too much, you'll enjoy it less and I think that is what has happened in the critics' case. I hope they decide to make a sequel. If they make it following the same formula it could be even better than the first one.
Old 07-10-05, 05:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
But nowhere in my review did I say that: A) You're a fool if you see this movie, B) You're an idiot if you like it, and C) "general" moviegoers wouldn't know a bad movie if it leaked all over their legs. Know why? Because I'm secure in my ability to form an opinion and explain where it comes from. I don't feel the need to dismiss, deride, or belittle those who may disagree with me.
on a related note, you know what's funny to me? i've seen countless posts by members defending their preference for mainstream movies against a supposed onslaught of elitist "film snobs" who make condescending posts asserting an air of superiority. but you know what i've rarely seen? one of those posts by an elitist film snob. some examples from Goat3001, Josh Hinkle, Michael Corvin, and Matthew Chmiel.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 07-10-05 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-10-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
Why the personal animosity against "the critics"? These are just professional writers paid to offer their singular opinions! I gave Fantastic Four 2 out of 5 stars because I thought the pacing was sloppy, the acting was near awful, the action scenes were inert, the screenplay was full of broad and overly-silly schtick, the editing was confused, etc., etc.

You liked a movie that the general critical community found pretty awful? Great! But why must people dismiss a bunch of educated opinions in order to feel better about their own?

If "the critics" share your opinion on a movie, then they're brilliant people who say insightful things. If they don't, then they're clueless snobs. I just don't get it.

Oh, and can someone explain one scene to me? On the bridge we're given a big show of Alba stripping down and getting invisible. In her next scene she's seen buttoning up her clothes -- but she hadn't DONE anything! Did I miss something?

Anyway, glad you're all enjoying the flick. Just because I didn't dig it, that doesn't mean I want everyone to hate the thing.

ok, then i ask you why should -you- care what a bunch of "uneducated opinions" think?

I think often people are made to feel as if liking or not liking certain movies means they have no taste or that their opinion doesn't matter and I think we're all guilty of making others feel that way. That's especialy true on an internet forum like dvdtalk where the opinions are diverse, vehement, and sometimes dripping with an air of "Snobbery".

It's just like the discussion over at the War of the Worlds thread were some are feeling shit on because they don't like aspects of the movie or they in fact hated it overall.
Old 07-10-05, 08:07 AM
Banned

If the movie doesn't make enough for a sequal they should at least put the Human Torch in the next Spider-Man movie.
Old 07-10-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that the Fantastic Four have a machine that can change them to normal and back, why doesn't the Thing change back and forth between missions so he can at least be human most of the time? Some convenient excuse I'll be betting....

Also what was the result of Reed's double exposure to the radiation? It seemed to make him even more unstable but, outside of that one scene, it was never referenced to again. What gives?
Old 07-10-05, 09:23 AM

I think it didn't so much make him unstable, just weak. Weak enough not to hold himself together. Sue Storm mentioned getting him a doctor, and we see him resting before Doom comes in and fights with him. So I think just getting rest and whatnot was all he needed, since the machine wasn't powerful enough to fix him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.