Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So who else hated American Psycho?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So who else hated American Psycho?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by neatMCsammer
This movie was HILARIOUS. I thought Bateman's rants on Huey Lewis and Phil Collins and Whitney Houston were genuinely amusing, as well as his mannerisms and reactions to almost everything, especially who has the better card. In my opinion, Christian Bale played that part perfectly.
Old 07-06-05, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my all-time favorites. Utterly quoteable and delicious.
Old 07-06-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As per the thread title..........AYE!
Old 07-07-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried to convince a coworker to give American Psycho another chance. She did, only to say she hates it even more.

Personally, I like it but I like the book much more. It's not anywhere near Bale's best performance but it's still decent.
Old 07-07-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 504 Likes on 330 Posts
I remember going to see American Psycho the Friday it opened. I had to work that night so I went to the 12;30 matinee. Inside the theater were about five other lonely guys, who's wardrobe and physical appearance made them look like they were just killing time before having to sign up for a bed at the homeless shealter. "Jesus," I thought, "I had no idea my life had come to this"

Just before the movie started, some other fellow loser came into the theater and sat directly behind me. I started getting really creeped out when the lights dimmed, cause he was muttering to himself non-stop and fidgeting around. I could hear some weird sliding motion that I eventually became convinced was him sliding a hunting knife in and out of it's sheaf. I got up and took a seat in the back row, the only time I've ever sat there.
Old 07-07-05, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my favorite movies and probably my favorite character.

The first time I saw it I didn't really "get it". Then I watched it again and got the humor of the movie. Very funny, and very quotable.
Old 07-07-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 201 Likes on 136 Posts
Loved it and seen it about a million times. He's a nutbag psycho and the movie showed it perfectly through his traits/characteristics.
Old 07-07-05, 08:49 PM

Popcorn,if you read the book. You will see how insanely grim and over the top disgusting but hilarious it can get. It is everything the film pretends to be but does'nt dare aim at over the top offensive humor(which the novel is full of). Also the book is infinite times more disturbing and thought provoking than the very watered down film.

In fact upon further analyzing what exactly hits me the wrong way with the film. I have come to the conclusion that it is all Guinevere Turner and Mary Harrons fault.

Turner is responsible for the shitty pretentious boring lesbian drama art film Go Fish from 1994. It's filled with terrible 'acting' and dialogue,all while showing lesbians in a not so good light(despite claiming to be showing them in a good positive light!). Words can't explain it. You'll have to see the horror for yourself to 'get it'

Harron made I Shot Andy Warhol which is another wannabe 'hip' indie film that claims 'is daring and up front with the material'. Yet its really a sanitized cleaned up PC view of the 60's counter-culture. This is where American Psycho comes in...

American Psycho like Warhol(& the pretentious Go Fish) perport to be 'daring controversial smart hip' films that are 'brave' and 'unafraid to tackle this content'. Yet they do exactly the opposite! They play it as safe and as clean as possible and that is damn annoying!

It does not help that the direction is mostly flat,the acting not so hot(though Bale is good I will admit). It's mainly for people afraid of truly daring disturbing offensive subject matter. So they feel like they 'get' the 'joke' and are 'blown away' by it.

Meanwhile watching the film,I just felt insulted how they sucked out all the substance from the novel and turned it into a shallow piece of crap. Since while the filmmakers claim to be spoofing 'superficiality'. They are actually superficial themselves in how they handle the material. It's all surface,nothing else(since all the most important stuff from the novel is cut out or glossed over)...and never dares goes towards the darkest reaches of Batemans psyche. Just wait until you read what he really thinks about people and the world in general in the novel..it's highly disturbing and offensive stuff..but still challenging and thought provoking and sometimes hilarious.

Oh and back to Turner,she writes for The L Word now and once I realized that. I knew why the show was not doing a damn thing for me,that I stopped watching halfway durring Season One. Again,bad laughable dialogue,trying to hard to be 'hip' and 'edgey' while playing it extremely safe and clean. Meanwhile pretending to take place in 'the "real world",while the charecters are model like beings with the most cliched fake line readings ever. In fact,if I didn't know better...it seems the makers of the film are ashamed of girl on girl affection. At least the sex scenes I saw in the episodes I watched were all teases that shyed away from the stuff. Since just as the couple were about to get really physically and intimate,the scene abruptly cuts too the next scene in amature fashion one second into the sex. That it just takes you out of the material.

Bad bad filmmakers all around,that somehow have careers in the business.
Old 07-07-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd respond to the op stating how much I disagree, but first I have to go return some videotapes.
Old 07-07-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't read the book and now I'm glad I didn't.
Old 07-07-05, 08:57 PM

I hated this movie so bad. I would have left, but I saw it with a crowd of people and was stuck until the end. One of the worst movie experienes I ever had. I will never understand what folks see in this one.
Old 07-07-05, 09:28 PM

I wasnt a big fan but some of the parts were kind of funny in a sadistic way.
Old 07-08-05, 04:11 AM

The rich yuppie kills lots of people. That's it. An excruciatingly mindless and pointless waste of time.
Old 07-08-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by caiman
I'd respond to the op stating how much I disagree, but first I have to go return some videotapes.
caiman wins the thread.
Old 07-08-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by caiman
Perfect.
Old 07-08-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,202 Likes on 736 Posts
The first time I watched the movie I was pretty disappointed. I loved the business card scene (probably one of the best & funniest scenes in any movie in the last decade) but the movie lost me at the "dropping the chainsaw" scene. From there I lost interest.

I watched the movie again on HBO sometime later and found myself hooked again. The humor in the violence clicked with me the second time around and now I think the whole movie is great (though I still think the movie is stronger leading up to the chainsaw scene).
Old 07-08-05, 09:11 AM

I wasn't sure what to think at first, but after watching it again I loved it. Bale is just freaky in that flick.
Old 07-08-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
As the original poster said, I pretty much got "the point" of the movie within the first 10 minutes. The rest felt like an endurance test as it kept pounding this message into me repeatedly for the course of the entire film, making me want to say on numerous occassion, "OK - I GET it!"

I kind of have the same attitude toward a lot of movies like this that are highly praised. The redundant "media-crazed society" message of Natural Born Killers or the "drugs are bad for you" message in Requiem for a Dream (a lesson I amazingly already knew before seeing this movie). I think if these films were a bit more subtle in what they were trying to say, or waited until close to the end to make their point very obvious, I would enjoy them more.

Otherwise, a 90 minute American Psycho feels like three hours.
Old 07-08-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Though I haven't seen Natural Born Killers, I can say for sure that in the case of Requiem for a Dream it's the style that makes it moreso than the content or "moral."
Old 07-08-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mifuneral
Though I haven't seen Natural Born Killers, I can say for sure that in the case of Requiem for a Dream it's the style that makes it moreso than the content or "moral."
Oh I definitely enjoyed the director's style in those examples. But if the film has nothing else to say along with it, it just gets redundant to me once it lasts longer than your average music video. I think style and story can coexist.
Old 07-08-05, 11:42 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by rennervision
As the original poster said, I pretty much got "the point" of the movie within the first 10 minutes. The rest felt like an endurance test as it kept pounding this message into me repeatedly for the course of the entire film, making me want to say on numerous occassion, "OK - I GET it!"
To be fair, that's because of the source material. The book repeats it's message over and over and over. For instance, the business card scene is in the book several times in different forms (i.e. suits). And pretty much every point like that is driven in repeatedly in the book.
Old 07-08-05, 03:17 PM

True the novel repeated its points as well, but as part of its satire. The movie, while fun, was a mere shadow that repeated itself so clumsily that it was just irritating.

I think I would have loved the movie had I never read the book, but the book was levels above the movie. Yes, I know, almost always the case, but this one was really glaring.

Bale did a nice job though.
Old 07-08-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally thought it was great... It was actually one of my tops for that year.
Old 07-08-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone
I hated this movie so bad. I would have left, but I saw it with a crowd of people and was stuck until the end. One of the worst movie experienes I ever had. I will never understand what folks see in this one.
This coming from someone who owns such critically acclaimed, high-brow cinema as Catwoman, Crossroads, Coyote Ugly, & Honey, you own & clearly like all those, yet you cannot understand what people see in American Psycho?

And please don't give me the lame "they are my girlfriends/wife's DVD", yet you took the time to catalogue them into not one, not two, but three different online tracking system.
Old 07-08-05, 06:08 PM

Sessa...maybe he likes those films for their CAMP KITCH value....oh and eye candy

It's possible and there is no need to assume the person is a stupid moron for owning/liking such films while not liking American Psycho. Some find AP to be a deeply intellectual satire that 'blows me away'. Yet see how I feel about Turner and Harrons work,and you may get why AP does nothing for me and others

Oh and yes some people do watch films for entertainment. Coyote Ugly is definitely on the entertaining side. It's fluff,but enjoyable fluff.

AP could have been an enjoyably grim dark satire if the filmmakers had any guts at all. But instead it plays like a G rated version of the NC-17/XXX novel.

David Cronenberg,Oliver Stone and Roger Avary were once planned to make the film. I am sure any one of them would have made a more worthy adaption than what Harron and Turner came up with.

Just my opinion of course,but this film had so much potential to be a true classic,and just copped out big time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.